PDA

View Full Version : Premium speaker wiring set up

tankhog
12-10-2010, 10:43 PM
On the premium speaker from the store here there's four un marked solder pads. Given that the polarity doesn't matter, does it matter which two pads get used? Such as the two on the left are the same while the two on the right are opposite, or is there some other pairing?
Or does it even matter? Can I use the two middle pads?

Great, thanks!
Nice pointer about the polarity marking.

As always much appreciated!

RevengeoftheSeth
12-10-2010, 11:08 PM
Credit goes to Slothfurnace for these photos:

http://www.slothfurnace.com/images/ConsularSaber/044.jpg

http://www.slothfurnace.com/images/ConsularSaber/045.jpg

equinox13
12-10-2010, 11:20 PM
actually there is a polarity on them - as all speakers do. the side with the red dot is positive.

RevengeoftheSeth
12-10-2010, 11:32 PM
Polarity on speakers is especially important when you have more than one, because reverse polarity can cause cancellation. When you have only one speaker, you probably won't tell the difference, but it causes the speaker to vibrate in the opposite direction (reverse phase). You need to make sure the speaker faces the correct direction depending on how you wire it.

dgdve
12-11-2010, 08:02 AM
Polarity on speakers is especially important when you have more than one, because reverse polarity can cause cancellation. When you have only one speaker, you probably won't tell the difference, but it causes the speaker to vibrate in the opposite direction (reverse phase). You need to make sure the speaker faces the correct direction depending on how you wire it.

Bandpass type speaker box, Resonance chamber anyone?

equinox13
12-11-2010, 01:34 PM
Bandpass type speaker box, Resonance chamber anyone?

not enough room in a saber. plenty of room in my car trunk though.

if you CAN do it, then do it.

JRD1
12-29-2010, 05:43 PM
If you look at my lateset PVC build I modeled my speaker design off a Bazooka tube... With the exception of a secondary air port since it vents out the top by the emitter. I did use a little poly fill between the sound chamber and the electronics. When I did this almost all high tones were canceled and it made the saber sound evil and loud. Since this was not a Sith blade I removed the poly fill to get the high tones back. Just FYI stuff.

RevengeoftheSeth
12-29-2010, 09:52 PM
I got a little creative and used a thread spool and cut one end of it off. I hot glued the speaker to the cut off end and then seated it in the pommel-end of the main body. It locks itself in nice and tight between the pommel and main body. I cut a notch in the lip to allow for my recharge port wires.

dgdve
12-30-2010, 06:19 AM
If you look at my lateset PVC build I modeled my speaker design off a Bazooka tube... With the exception of a secondary air port since it vents out the top by the emitter. I did use a little poly fill between the sound chamber and the electronics. When I did this almost all high tones were canceled and it made the saber sound evil and loud. Since this was not a Sith blade I removed the poly fill to get the high tones back. Just FYI stuff.

hehehe Bazooka tube... I luv it!!!!

JRD1
12-30-2010, 10:16 AM
hehehe Bazooka tube... I luv it!!!!
Too bad I didn't get a video of it so you could hear how loud it was... It came with a 2watt amp for the speakers and I almost included it into the design but when I tried it out it was obnoxiously loud with only one speaker!lol

@ RevengeofSeth- kool idea, I am making anothe saber now for another coworker who wants rechargable batteries, I'll have to remember this trick of yours. Kool tip!

dgdve
12-31-2010, 06:34 AM
I tell everyone, take it from me in the days of el things were nice, actually as nice as they could be but now is the time.. what sound brought into the game is 51% of the experience and the MOST important factor in sound is... resonance.. harnessing its power will turn a ford speaker into a ferrari... or vice versa. (sry) I just love speaker box in a saber talk