PDA

View Full Version : Blinky flashy blue sun of LEDs

equinox13
12-01-2010, 12:29 AM
ok i know i'm going over the top on this one. but i had to at least build a prototype. 30 5mm LEDs wired in a parallel array - 6 ladders of 4 blue and 1 rainbow flashy LEDs. powered off of 1 18650 Li-Ion inside of a slotted double male MHS piece. each LED actually has the same specs - 3.3Vf and 30mA. combined, that's 900mA. i'm using a 1.2ohm 3watt resistor, and yes it gets a bit warm after a few minutes. the question i have is, should i continue? and if so, how can i make it work better? if i do continue down this bright path, i plan on building plastic spacers to pull the LEDs back inside so that they're well within the slots and find some sort of translucent material that i can make a sleeve out of to cover everything up with. ^_^ perhaps some white/clearish inch and a half shrink wrap...

gogo Android cameraphone! ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH2VoqjpRfY

Silver Serpent
12-01-2010, 06:14 AM
That is a lot of bling to add to a lightsaber. It's a little much in my opinion, though if you were unable to find a decent quartz crystal for your chamber, this could make for an "interesting" substitute.

Keep on working, I'd love to see where this idea goes.

Skottsaber
12-01-2010, 07:00 AM
Could pass as some kind of power core, interesting to have some flicker in there too...

cardcollector
12-01-2010, 08:02 AM
I like The look alot! I think it would look better with some sort of chaser effect though.

equinox13
12-01-2010, 06:33 PM
after running this through a sanity check, i've decided not to melt my aluminum parts and cut this array back to just 1 strip of LEDs mounted internally. that means i'm in the market for crystal chamber parts now. anyone got any handy? ^_^

seriously though, this is way too much unless i'm building a reproduction of an engine core to scale. i do have another idea that i plan to try out soon though.