PDA

View Full Version : New MHS design

seelsa73
11-29-2010, 08:04 AM
I designed my lightsaber on the mhs and did the coloring in Paint...not the best program to use for it, but hey its all i have. Just hoping to get comments, suggestions, criticisms (and if it has to be negative, please be polite about it)...or, and most importantly, praise :-D thanks

Silver Serpent
11-29-2010, 08:17 AM
I like the style, good length. However, your covertec button and the red button(?) are located in threaded areas. You will have to put them in a non-threaded area of the saber if you want to avoid buggering up the threads. Other than that, it looks reasonable to me.

Is this going to be a stunt saber, or are you planning on putting sound in it?

equinox13
11-29-2010, 09:31 AM
the covertec button is in a threaded area, yes. but then again all but a tiny bit of that 1.2" adapter is threaded. i've got mine in a threaded part of that same adapter up against a slotted double male just like that and i have just barely enough room between the unthreaded space and the end of the slotted double male for the screw. it's pretty solidly in there too, so i know it can be done. (i did that for reverse belt hanging) however, with that pommel, i've found out that it doesn't like to swing too freely in the covertec clip if it's too close. for that reason alone i'm recommending that you swap positions with the 2 double female parts and back it off of the pommel a bit more.

the blade holder thumbscrew does need to move closer to the end though - it'll never even touch the blade that far back, and the closer it is to the end, the better grip it can get.

other than that, it looks like it'll be a great build. can't wait to see it ^_^

seelsa73
11-29-2010, 10:28 AM
I didn't really plan on adding a blade, it's pretty much a costume/display piece.

Skottsaber
11-29-2010, 10:51 AM
If it's going to be a display piece then I'm wondering why you've added a double male with slots.
It would highlight the fact that it's hollow inside...

seelsa73
11-29-2010, 10:54 AM
Because it looks cool...although i do like the idea of maybe putting a chrystal in there. But i would have no idea how to go about doing that.

seelsa73
11-29-2010, 10:58 AM
the covertec button is in a threaded area, yes. but then again all but a tiny bit of that 1.2" adapter is threaded. i've got mine in a threaded part of that same adapter up against a slotted double male just like that and i have just barely enough room between the unthreaded space and the end of the slotted double male for the screw. it's pretty solidly in there too, so i know it can be done. (i did that for reverse belt hanging) however, with that pommel, i've found out that it doesn't like to swing too freely in the covertec clip if it's too close. for that reason alone i'm recommending that you swap positions with the 2 double female parts and back it off of the pommel a bit more.

the blade holder thumbscrew does need to move closer to the end though - it'll never even touch the blade that far back, and the closer it is to the end, the better grip it can get.

other than that, it looks like it'll be a great build. can't wait to see it ^_^

Something like this?

Silver Serpent
11-29-2010, 11:37 AM
I don't see any issues with your updated design. Look around on the forums for crystal chamber or chassis design. There's some pretty good ideas and tutorials to help you put a crystal in your saber. It looks like you'll have more than enough room to add electronics to this saber, should you decide to do so in the future.

Good luck with your build!

Lord Maul
11-29-2010, 11:53 AM
It's possible to drill through threads. I've done it dozens of times. Just make sure that before you drill, the parts screw together perfectly. If there's any tension, figure out where and file it down. Before you drill, get the parts dripping in WD-40 and screw them together TIGHTLY. Otherwise you could screw up the alignment. Drill, unscrew, and file away any burrs left by the bit. Good to go!

dgdve
11-29-2010, 12:51 PM
Well I will say on paper I do like your design, but I dont think you should limit yourself to making a costume saber.. what if later on you decide you'd like to take a look at putting an LED in it(with removable blade).. your only talking about a $15 kit from the tcss store.. and it is still 100% display worthy(but now its duel worthy as well). Really wiring the LED with the tutorials from the forums is to easy not to at least consider this in the future plans for this saber... its a cool design and will only Shine (pun intended) once its added to

cardcollector
11-29-2010, 05:52 PM
It's possible to drill through threads. I've done it dozens of times. Just make sure that before you drill, the parts screw together perfectly. If there's any tension, figure out where and file it down. Before you drill, get the parts dripping in WD-40 and screw them together TIGHTLY. Otherwise you could screw up the alignment. Drill, unscrew, and file away any burrs left by the bit. Good to go!

This is my daily dose of saber building Genius! Thanks LM. ;)

Onli-Won Kanomi
11-29-2010, 06:13 PM
Paint is all I have too but fortunately you can even design customized parts from MHS builder 'templates' using it.

I think that updated design looks really really nice and could certainly be upgraded to a lighted saber later at minimal cost.

Best of luck with it and MTFBWY.

seelsa73
11-30-2010, 08:22 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys, and keep it coming :)

I'm not sure if i really like where the red acetal thumb screw is in the updated design...just because i feel like the neck of any lightsaber should be left alone, having something there just looks strange to me. I don't know maybe i just dont know what im talking about :-P