PDA

View Full Version : OBI WAN Hasbro Force FX removable blade Luxeon conversion

Tywann
11-26-2010, 02:53 AM
Hi guys !

I am planning to make a conversion from my stock OBI WAN Hasbro Force FX Removable blade.

I am analysing all the parameters since I received it, and I tell you what... It's really HARD for a guy with no electronic knowledge !!
That's why I will ask you the ultimate question :

What parts and small equipment do I need to make my conversions so I can buy them on The Custom Saber Shop ?

I would like this features on my saber :

- Keep the light effect fade-in / fade-out (Adjustable Led Driver + Add-on board for Adjustable LED Driver, buckpuck ?)
- Keep my hasbro board sound effect (as Ultrasound and Crystal Focus are not available) maybe add a better sound speaker
- Have a bright dueling battle blade
- the brightest Blue Jedi LED to have the light on praticly all the saber blade
- Have a good enough battery time (1H30, 2 hours or more if possible)

- OPTIONAL : Have the possibility of charging directly my saber with included rechargeable Li-On batteries

I know I ask the other work for me to make me the part list but it's really difficult to complete by myself the part list, not to forget any small parts and I really thank you a lot in advance for technical knowledge and help !

Tywann

dgdve
11-26-2010, 05:12 AM
Ok Well as you said you have NO electronics experience, So I'd assume this would be your first time breaking down a saber as well (and I'm not saying your shouldnt convert your Hasbro) but If you already have the removable blade saber, I'm not really sure you can improve on it with your current level of experience.. Those sabers are pretty nice (as well as expensive to destroy for your first build).

Why not try a test build... use a Pvc hilt, a Hasbro Economy Soundboard (From the 2010 Hasbro toy sabers, just search for it here, its a great economy board and is only $16).. for about $20 you have a perfect test platform where you can get some practice soldering, running wires.. and refining your technique's that way when you feel your ready to convert your (much more expensive saber) you know what your doing so less chance of a screw up!

equipment list (common tools): Soldering Iron, Dremel tool(or that type, any is fine), various grits of sand paper, screwdrivers, Drill bits, various Tap's... ehh its early but others can chime in and finish off the list or share thier idea's

Darth Thanos
11-26-2010, 08:51 AM
this thread is a must read. For equipment...
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?2646-Tools-amp-Parts-a-list-of-the-ones-you-can-t-do-without

mps
11-26-2010, 02:32 PM
I agree with dgdve. You spent the money on a brand new saber. I don't have one of the removable blade hasbro FX ones, but all the reviews I've seen on them had nothing but good things about them.
Stick around on these forums for a while, study up and one day (spend even more money) you can build your own Obi Wan saber using MHS parts.
I didn't have a whole lot of experience with electronics...just read, read, and read some more. That is one thing I learned on this forum. That and how build a lightsaber of course.
The choice is yours.

Tywann
11-26-2010, 04:08 PM
Well, thanks a lot for your answers dudes :)

In fact, I wanted to know this list because if I use this saber to make some battles, i am affraid of destroy one of the LED in the saber blade... That's why I wanted to make this saber battle ready with a Luxeon LED with the help of a friend who is good enough in electronic engeneering !

Well, maybe I could buy an Hasbro economic saber to make some test in my normal saber and keep all the electronic system apart...

But if you can give me the components list, I would really apreciate the gift as it is for a show I wanna make with a friend in mid december :D
That is why I am a little bit in a hurry !!

Best regards dudes and thank you again ! :)

dgdve
11-26-2010, 10:18 PM
Sounds as if your doing a show or a video! thats cool be sure to post it for us when you finish it.. but generally speaking you are on a very very very short time limit so the best bet to try to get you and your friend both sabers in hand for the show would be to build a coupe very simple stunt sabers.. A stunt saber is the most battle ready saber you can assemble and for the most part are made very strong and very very sturdy. Stunt sabers are mostly Pvc or Sinktube designs with the same LED so they are every bit as bright as a "display" saber just not as shiny(expensive) and prone to scratches or ruin. you can throw a stunt saber off your roof or hit it with a car... no problem... so its much more "fun". Many many Super sabersmiths have great stunt saber tutorials.. I wont pick a favorite (*cough* LDM *cough*) but they all have great designs and its up to you which one you or your friend would like best, just try to seach for "Stunt Saber" or "Sinktube" and check the gallery for idea's. I really hope this helps, I know your on a tight schedule to get this finalized and place your order before your show

Lord Dottore Matto
11-27-2010, 02:00 AM
The problem with what you are asking us is that nobody has converted this particular saber yet. I know that in the past, everyone has expected that I would develop the new conversions, but I build so many custom sabers now that I rarely have the time for Hfx/MR conversions any more. Electronically, I am just not sure where to go with a project like this unless i were doing it myself (and then I would have to take some time to figure it out). Sorry that i cannot be of more help in this, but hte other fellas have given you some good advice as to how to create a nice stunt saber if you are in a hurry.

Caine Drathul
11-28-2010, 02:25 AM
My advice is to just pick up a standard stock Obi ROTS and then just do a custom conversion (do a TON of reading before you do). It will be MUCH simpler then trying to do all that you want with the new removable blades sabers because like LDM said, it hasn't been done yet (and no one to my knowledge has expressed interest in doing one).

*You can keep the fade on effect with an LED driver like you said.
*You can change the battery solution to a Li-Ion 18650 to get those very long run times you want (you'll also need to add a recharge port)
*Bright blue blade? Seoul P4 LED, dude!
*You can keep the stock soundboard
*TCSS has all the dueling blades you need.

Good luck

Wong Yoon Wei
12-10-2010, 08:08 PM
I am attempting a conversion on my Removable Blade Anakin. I posted about this here and at FX-Sabers (not much helpful response though). Despite what most of you said, I am very sure they are a lot of people out there curious about how to go about converting these sabers. Most just do not know where to start.

I got no experience in any of these (first time attempting a conversion) but from the tutorial I have been reading, these removable blades are really essentially the same thing as the fixed blades version with the exception of the connector on the blade and the hilt. I am sure I can solve a simple connection problem. From my measurements, there might also be some space issues but I am sure I can Mcgyver something. If I am really stuck, I will just consult my sister, who is a brilliant Engineering student.

Maybe I am just simple minded but I am sure the conversion is not as hard or as impossible as some people made it out to be. Looks pretty straight forward to me infact.

My parts from Tim has already shipped so now is just a matter of waiting for it to arrive on my shores )the other end of the world).

ps- while I am very sure it will be a lot less headache to convert a fixed blade version but I have already bought the saber and there is no point buying another one. It's not like these sabers are cheap in the first place. I rather spend the money on the conversion kit and parts.

And while stunt sabers are great, not all countries have what you called a sinktube. We used PVC pipes here. Sinktube? Never seen or heard of it before in my life until I started browsing here.

dgdve
12-11-2010, 07:57 AM
I understand what your saying and Keep us posted on the conversion especially if you run into anything interesting. to answer your question about the sink tube.. thats kind of a general term I think at the hardware store it maybe has a different name but its a standard tube(20gauge, 1.5") that goes under your sink connecting it to the drain.. here in the states they sell nice polished brass ones as well for sinks with exposed pipes(in rich people's houses). I hope this helps

equinox13
12-11-2010, 01:29 PM
in Japan most of the "sinktubes" are plastic flex tubing from what i've seen. i'm betting china probably doesn't use metal under most of their sinks either...

if anyone else has different experiences looking under sinks and wandering home improvement stores, please let me know.

Tywann
12-27-2010, 04:36 PM
Hello Everyone !

Thanks for giving me all of your advices.
I think I would keep my FFX Obi hasbro blade as is...

I will think about either buy one already converted with a novastar board sound or make myself my own lightsaber...

Thank you again for your help and advices :)

May the force be with you all ! :)

Rhyen Skytracker
12-27-2010, 09:19 PM
There are huge differences between the FX fixed blade version and the FX removable blade version.

Skottsaber
12-28-2010, 03:29 AM
I will think about either buy one already converted with a novastar board sound or make myself my own lightsaber...

The soundboard you seek is called Crystal Focus ;)

Tywann
01-05-2011, 02:12 PM
Huuummm...

Maybe i make a mistake, but 2 cards co-exists with pro and cons for both (best is CFV5 of course) :

- Ultrasound 2.5
- CF V5

Am I wrong ?

Skottsaber
01-05-2011, 02:14 PM
The Ultrasound 2.5 is no longer in production, so from your list the CF is your only choice.
Also, you cannot load custom fonts onto the Ultrasound.

Tywann
01-05-2011, 02:25 PM
hummmm according to some infos i have from FX sabers, it is on sale on a website from the conceptor... but if i give it here it will be a BRAKEDOWN ON HIS SERVER lol

Indeed, everyone wants to have the CFV5 but each time it is so difficult to have one according to the annoncement so hazardous Erv' give on FX sabers forum... I don't say it's bad, but I say everytime he annonce a new stock, it goes in seconds !!!!!!!!!

Jedi-Loreen
01-05-2011, 02:29 PM
He's not really selling them legally, though, which is why he's only selling them on his own site.

And a lot of the boards aren't working right when people get them. I don't know what kind of testing is being done on them, if any, before they are shipped out.

Tywann
01-05-2011, 02:32 PM
yeah I know that, but Erv' give the support though, so i do not worry about giving feedback when there's bug and disfunction... (that's what I understood)
The only worry I have is gettin' just ONE !! :p

And I think he sells them legally, because he has a economic structure in france that can permit to make the thing happen... (i think so, huhu !!)

Jedi-Loreen
01-05-2011, 02:58 PM
yeah I know that, but Erv' give the support though, so i do not worry about giving feedback when there's bug and disfunction... (that's what I understood)
The only worry I have is gettin' just ONE !! :p

And I think he sells them legally, because he has a economic structure in france that can permit to make the thing happen... (i think so, huhu !!)

Oops, sorry, I hit the wrong button. I did not edit your post.

No, I'm talking about the guy who's selling the US 2.5 boards. He doesn't really have the right to do that.

Erv's cool and above reproach.

And he cares about his products and customers. He loves the hobby and isn't making boards just for the money.

Tywann
01-05-2011, 03:09 PM
Are you talikin about the one who sells Ultrasound boards ? hummm... i was on the way to buy one, cause of the brokedown of CFV5... you mean that it's not a good deal ?
let's play it sincerly huh ? :p

I have seen on his blog that he was also on the way to build a new system with a dual core cpu to drive a saber...

BTW, if anyone have a CFV5 bought just to have more than one in stock for him, would it be possible to sell it to a poor frenchie boy who missed the unique sell of last 19th december ? :(

Skottsaber
01-06-2011, 05:42 AM
Please don't support the man who is selling the ultrasound boards. He does not own the designs or the rights to sell them. And talk of his new "soundboard" is banned from this forum.

Yes, to get a CF takes a bit of dedication, and perhaps also a bit of luck... oh and fast internet of course ;)

And we know for a fact he is working on boards and there will be a release soon.

Tywann
01-08-2011, 01:07 AM
I am quite surprised that you tell me the man who is selling this board does not own the design or the rights to sell them...
So if I buy him one, I would be some kind of "supporter of the Dark Side" ? :p

Why is he banned from the forum ?
Well, this is just a question.... Does not want to make any problem...

It is true that the best solution would be the CFV5 for any sabers :p

Skottsaber
01-08-2011, 01:11 AM
It is banned from the forum because A. It is a sore subject, and B. TCSS is developing a soundboard.

I really don't like to bring this up, but in short he was the guy who made those soundboards for Ultrasabers, and then he broke away from them and didn't give Ultra the designs, which they had paid for.

Tywann
01-08-2011, 01:58 AM
OK, so he wanted to "have the cake and eat it"...
In France we have an expression which is : "avoir le beurre, l'argent du beurre, et la crémière en plus"
which could be translated as : "have the butter, the money of the butter and the cream maker (woman) on top of this" :p

BTW : Where can I find informations about the card that TCSS is devellopping ?

Skottsaber
01-08-2011, 02:04 AM
I believe there is a thread here, but there is not any solid information about it yet.

Tywann
01-10-2011, 05:18 AM
hummmm...

I have troubles finding out this thread, so if anyone have it in his bookmarks or know where it is, please let me know so I can follow it either !! :))

Thanks !

dgdve
01-10-2011, 07:30 AM
The answer is NO you cant buy the US boards here, anything else is just (who cares really?). Tcss is a DYI (with some great support) type forums.. there is another forums where you can read all about whatever you want(but thats "no no" talk here, please respect that and quit bugging Skott). tcss is more for problem solving then smack talk(imo)....

but my general rule of life is never buy something without support(like no name computers).. and NEVER buy a toyota AFTER toyota goes out of buisiness... parts=junkyard.. you ever see what a lightsaber soundcard graveyard looks like... it aint pretty my friend... be patient...youve already heard the whispers (*cough tcss FULLY supported soundcard coming soon..), lets sit back and let the future come to us.... cool?

Ooo and when the card is out there will be threads easily accessable right in your face style(all day) I'm sure

Tywann
01-11-2011, 02:38 AM
I am sorry to have talked about something that apparently is a problem, which I did not know anything of that problem with US 2.5...
I will no more talk about that at this point... OK :))

But what is some point of interest, is : what do you mean by DYI (sorry I do not understand this acronym) ?
You are talking a card that TCSS will be releasing in the nearby future ? Well... i am like a child knowing that !! this would be a good thing that a great structure as TCSS devellopp something like that and fully support this as long as it is a great structure with future !

Jedi-Loreen
01-11-2011, 12:43 PM
"DIY" stands for "Do It Yourself" ;)

Tywann
01-12-2011, 02:41 PM
HAHA !! Jedi Loreen has spread the word !!

DIY is somethnig I would love to... but with 2 jobs which take me my full time life (more than 25h/day :) ) I have a small window to take to DIMyself :p
BTW what is this card TCSS is workin'out ?