PDA

View Full Version : So I'm asking for help in brainstorming a design...

Doc B
11-20-2010, 10:28 PM
I'm about to build my first saber. As fantastic as they are, I'm too much of an artist to stick with the parts in the MHS. I'm looking to augment to the design with some leather scraps and/or leather lacing to give it a rustic, homemade look.

Here is the basic design of what I'm going for. It's a basic, straight, 8-inch handle with a short choke and blade holder style 10. It's going to have a green blade with a red illuminated switch on top of the box.

Click to make it bigger.

It's a basic, straight, 8-inch handle with a short choke and blade holder style 10. What I'm looking for from you all is ideas to draw inspiration from. The only stuff I'm finding online using leather are steampunk-inspired sabers. Like I said, I'm wanting a more rustic look, not steampunk. Maybe something that looks like an Ewok might own it. I don't know. Elementary brainstorming rule: no idea is a bad one; I'll judge ideas later. Let it rip, forum folks!

iamdrake
11-20-2010, 10:42 PM
Ewok owned - Make the blade out of a branch, and put feathers on the hilt.... maybe a few of those leather straps you said you had seen... oh and a brush/hairball remover :D

Doc B
11-20-2010, 10:46 PM
Ha ha ha! That's a great idea. However I should emphasize that I'm looking for inspiration in how to use leather on this design. Ewoks were only an example. Keep 'em coming, folks.

Skottsaber
11-21-2010, 12:36 AM
Firstly, for everyone who reads this to see:

Definitions of Rustic on the web:
countrified: characteristic of rural life; "countrified clothes"; "rustic awkwardness"
an unsophisticated country person

So I'd say, use some kind of leather that isn't processed, more of a hide, maybe even with some hair on it. I'd definitely put it in the main grip section, and secure it under the box.
This could end up looking really cool :D

Doc B
11-21-2010, 02:22 AM
Fur. Interesting... I did think about using rawhide. I'm interested in also trying leather lace, or possibly hemp macramé.

I like the energy, people! More, I tells ya! I need more!

equinox13
11-21-2010, 03:53 AM
flexible woodgrain veneer to simulate the look of wood for any gaps you might have at the edges of the leather.

Doc B
11-21-2010, 03:56 AM
Nice! Part of me is thinking about thin balsa or cedar strips tied together around the hilt with green leather cord. Leave it unfinished, so the oils of the hand wear the wood naturally. I love the ideas! More please.

equinox13
11-21-2010, 04:03 AM
iron cladding?

Doc B
11-21-2010, 04:14 AM
Iron cladding... can you say more?

equinox13
11-21-2010, 04:17 AM
"more" ^_^

paint the emitter to look like it's made of iron cladding.

Doc B
11-21-2010, 11:20 AM
Hmm... okay. I'm intrigued.

Doc B
11-21-2010, 06:54 PM
Now I'm kind of thinking about doing the whole thing in copper powder coating, and then tying two pieces of black leather squares around it with green leather cord.

Doc B
11-23-2010, 12:49 AM
Oooh! Here's an interesting design. This is the lightsaber belonging to Darth Krayt when he was still just A'Sharad Hett.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:A'Sharad_Hett_saber.jpg

Skottsaber
11-23-2010, 03:31 AM
And here are the best incarnations of it :D
Click me! (http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?11395-Hett-Genesis-quot-Forhunert-quot-by-LDM)
And me! (http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?11149-A-Sharad-Hett-quot-Genesis-quot-Saber-by-LDM&)
;)

equinox13
11-23-2010, 06:03 AM
someone tell me why LDM's versions look more authentic than the original... O.o

Doc B
11-23-2010, 12:36 PM
That is really close to the design I was thinking about. While I'm a little bummed that someone else thought of the design, I'm happy that it was an author related to a canon character. I was even thinking about beading mine. I guess I'm going to have to go ahead with the copper base idea, to change it up a bit. I think I'll lace two black leather squares to it, as a grip.