PDA

View Full Version : Luke ROTJ V2 sound board poll

cannibal869
11-15-2010, 12:30 PM
Howdy all,

I've got a few sabers that are complete or near complete on my workbench - just gotta find the time to upload all the pics and flood the boards ;)

In the meantime, I'm planning on building a Luke ROTJ V2 and wanted opinions on sound board options...
I will have available and ready to go:

Ultrasound 2.5 (love the startup sound and blinking LED function - the sound is actually quite close to the movie sounds in ROTJ)

or

Makototsai SuperOne 2.0 soundboard (jedi, sith, and gundam fonts available).

So which one do you think would be better in a Luke ROTJ V2?
I'll give you a hint on what I'm thinking of doing - a Luke V2 with a Hero control box kinda like the V2 Rakin seen on FX-Sabers here:
http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=23782.0
but with a reveal-type hilt kinda like what Yamabiko made here:
http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=26958.0

I'll be using MHS parts (so unfortunately no super thin necks here :( ) and I'm still debating on how to do flash clash with this setup and still be able to fit everything in there. Might take some creative...uh... cram-fu.

Anyhow let me know what soundboard you think would be best in this situation. I have a hyperdyne SaberSD board too, but that's currently reserved for a... uh... "special"... build ;)

Thanks in advance guys!
-C

small edit: if I could get my grubby little hands on a buttered / baked toast, we wouldn't be having this conversation, now would we??? ;)

Rafalema
11-15-2010, 12:52 PM
The ultrasound sounds nice, yes, but the "anti-power-off" on it is a very big drawback at least for me.

Never the less, that's what I'd personally use.
Unless you are confident and ready to wait or a CF :p

Good luck and take your time with this awesome plan! :cool:

cannibal869
11-15-2010, 01:04 PM
The ultrasound sounds nice, yes, but the "anti-power-off" on it is a very big drawback at least for me.

Never the less, that's what I'd personally use.
Unless you are confident and ready to wait or a CF :p

Good luck and take your time with this awesome plan! :cool:

Thanks!

"anti-power-off"??? what's that? do you mean having to hold the momentary down for a few seconds to power the saber down?

-C

Rathan
11-15-2010, 01:25 PM
It is like 6-7 seconds for it to turn off.
With mine, if you keep holding the button down until it shuts off completely, it immediately turns back on again. you have to hold the button until it starts making the shutdown sound then release.

cardcollector
11-15-2010, 03:36 PM
I say a MR jedi board with the TCSS V2 Driver. I think it is better the the US 2.5...

RevengeoftheSeth
11-15-2010, 06:10 PM
Makoto's board is OK, but it needs a lot of work. The mixing is non-existant. The idle hum has audible breaks between the loops, the clash/motion sounds don't mix over the hum at all. It does have some good features for the price, especially if you want to use the ramp up/down feature with an LED string and the shimmer effect.

Lord Maul
11-15-2010, 06:19 PM
I'm of the opinion that any board is better than an Ultrasound. There are so many problems with it
1) Clash on ignition
2) really long press needed to turn the saber off
3) inefficiently drives LEDs
4) gets super hot if the voltage is more than a few volts higher than the LED

The list goes on... Makoto or other, just don't use the US

Skottsaber
11-16-2010, 11:40 AM
It does have some good features for the price
You mean the price of a US, and that crummy sound? I don't think so.

I'd use the US over the Mako, personally.

RevengeoftheSeth
11-16-2010, 11:54 AM
Aside from the sound, I mean. And I think it is cheaper than a US (I'm probably wrong, I haven't seen their price in a while).

Rathan
11-17-2010, 01:16 PM
I like some of the options you have with the US but the swing sounds are ultra short.
I would go with the MR.

jedimastergarcia87
11-18-2010, 12:56 AM
I say give the new 2010 Hasbro boards a try, from what I hear the Obi-wan boards are the best. I think the sounds are more movie accurate now. I like the power up/down sounds too. Plus they are always in stock too.

cannibal869
11-18-2010, 01:08 AM
Thanks for all the feedback guys!

Wow, I knew some people didn't like the US board - perhaps also in part due to... uh... history with NovaConceptions.
But I didn't quite expect quite the outright negativity towards the board...

At the moment, I'm leaning towards using the US 2.5 board and the 2010 Hasbro Obi-Wan for the FoC.
(I agree the hasbro cheapy board sounds have gotten much better, but I find the idle hum and swing sounds to be... well.. repetitive... Plus the ignition font on the US is closer to the ROTJ)
Since this is going to be a reveal type hilt, almost everything really has to fit into the rear 4-5 inches of the saber.

This particular build is definitely going to stretch my cram-fu to its limits!!!
Stay tuned!

:)
-C