PDA

View Full Version : Battery question.

RattleHornet
11-11-2010, 10:14 PM
I want to use Lithium ion battery for my MHS saber.
So, I ordered these.

TrustFire Protected 3.7V 900mAh 14500 Lithium Battery (2-Pack) (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/TrustFire-Protected-37V-900mAh-14500-Lithium-Battery-2-Pack-P342.aspx)
TrustFire All-in-One Charger (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/TrustFire-All-in-One-Charger-P346.aspx)
2AA Battery holder (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/2AA-Battery-holder-P348.aspx)

I planned to not use recharge port.
I will charge battery individually out of the hilt, and I intend to pull out battery from the box while not in use.

Is PCB needed to use this battery in hilt ?

I'm Sorry bad English.:cry:

dj2rbo
11-11-2010, 11:44 PM
No you dont need it. That pcb is only for when used with recharge ports.

RattleHornet
11-12-2010, 01:12 AM
Thank you, dj2rbo.
I was relieved to hear that.:D:D:D

equinox13
11-12-2010, 11:39 AM
actually PCBs are used with ALL Li-Ion cells. however, if it says protected in the product description, then it has a PCB built in already.

bottom line is that those cells have a PCB built into each of them so you're fine. ^_^

RattleHornet
11-12-2010, 06:48 PM
Thank you, equinox13.

And nice picuture. It's a good design MHS lightsaber.

Zama no otenki ha dou desuka?

equinox13
11-13-2010, 02:38 AM
Zama no otenki ha dou desuka?

sorry, my Nihongo is poor still and 'otenki' isn't a word i've come across yet. ^_^

RattleHornet
11-13-2010, 07:30 AM
Oh, I'm sorry.:o

"otenki" means the weather.

So, my question was "How is the weather in zama today?"

I'm Japanese, my English is very poor.:(
Reading is a little good but speaking and writeing.

Anyway, thank you for advice:D. And thanks Google translation too.

equinox13
11-13-2010, 11:16 AM
"cloudy" always lately it seems. ^_^ i love google translate too. i've used it on my phone a lot to communicate words i don't know over here, which is a lot actually. Osaka suki desuka?

RevengeoftheSeth
11-13-2010, 11:43 AM
Hitsuji wa kono jiki sugoidesu

RattleHornet
11-15-2010, 06:27 PM
"cloudy" always lately it seems. ^_^ i love google translate too. i've used it on my phone a lot to communicate words i don't know over here, which is a lot actually. Osaka suki desuka?

Osaka daisuki desu.:D
Osaka is my birth place, and home town. I love Osaka !
Osaka is capital of Japanese entertainment.;)

Hitsuji wa kono jiki sugoidesu

Dou taihen nano desuka ? Hatsu jou ki ?

RevengeoftheSeth
11-15-2010, 10:56 PM
I wish I could figure out how to translate that. I can only get one or two words from my translator, lol.

equinox13
11-15-2010, 11:00 PM
yeah romanji is exceptionally hard to translate unfortunately...

RevengeoftheSeth
11-15-2010, 11:02 PM
Finding a romanji translator was even harder lol. Not really, but I was suprised to see google didnt have one.

equinox13
11-15-2010, 11:05 PM
if google doesn't have it, it's not worth using.

<----google fanatic

RevengeoftheSeth
11-15-2010, 11:06 PM
lol me too.

RattleHornet
11-15-2010, 11:39 PM
I wish I could figure out how to translate that. I can only get one or two words from my translator, lol.

Sorry, I said "Why does sheep are become serious or nervous? Are they in estrus?".

Romaji is hard to translate, but I'm worry about that your operating system can't decode Japanese characters.

I try to write in Japanese character.

Can you read this?
"こんにちわ!皆さん!"

equinox13
11-16-2010, 01:44 AM
はい簡単 ^_^

RevengeoftheSeth
11-16-2010, 07:27 AM
"Hello, Everyone!"

LOL and yes, the sheep are scared of me. I had to put velcro on my gloves to keep a hold of them.

RattleHornet
11-16-2010, 08:55 AM
OK, you can read it. I have a question.
みなさんは、セーバーに、どのような電池を使ってますか?

Google translation said "Everyone is a saver, I use a battery or what?":shock:

I wanted to say "what kind of batteries do you use for your saber ?".
I mainly use 4AAA alkaline because of easy to buy.

Sorry for bad English.

equinox13
11-16-2010, 11:39 AM
if you can get a charger and some NiMH AAA batteries at some place like Yodobashi, that would be a bit better. that way you can recharge and reuse.

i know kit Li-Ion is hard to get outside Akihabara... that's what i use, though.

RevengeoftheSeth
11-16-2010, 11:53 AM
Alkaline's aren't all that bad (in my opinion). They don't hold full power for very long, though.

equinox13
11-16-2010, 12:06 PM
batteries of any sort seem to be rather hard to get rid of in japan... i say, if you can get rechargables to start with, do so.

RattleHornet
11-16-2010, 05:41 PM
Thank you.

I feel NiMH(eneloop) little darker than Alkaline when driving a converted FX saber.
Four NiMH is very enough when driving my MHS saber.
Full power light of Luxeon is very beautiful !:cool:

To driving HyperDyne Saber-SD with TCSS LED driver needs high voltage, so,I decided to order Li-ion batteries.
Saber-SD is a very difficult board for using single LED.:(

電池にやさしく、安くて良いサウンドカードが欲しいですね。

erahard
11-17-2010, 02:08 AM
Hi,this thread comes very handy for a question:

I want to build my first saber and I have read here that it is a good idea to use a 1000mA BuckPuck to protect the LED. However, those Buckpucks need a minimum of 5V source. If I want to use rechargeable batteries, my only options are:

- Use a 7.2-7.4 AA Li-Ion battery pack.
- Use 8 AAA NiMh 1.2V (that is 9.6V total) batteries on a 8 battery holder. This option is tricky as it may not fit on my hilt.

Is that right? Are there any other options?.

Thanks in advance.

RattleHornet
11-17-2010, 08:02 AM
Hi, erahard.:D

I use 1000mA buckpuck with Luxeon3 cyan, hasbro 2010 electronic saber board, and these are driving by 4AAA NiMH rechargable batteries(4.8v total).
It is enough bright. But capacity of each batteries are 750 mAh(3000mAh total). lose brightness soon(1-2 hours).

I'd rather like to use Alkaline than NiMH, because Alkaline is brighter.

RevengeoftheSeth
11-17-2010, 09:25 AM
If you wire the battery pack to put out 4.8V, the capacity is still only 750mAh.

If you wire it to put out 3000mAh, the voltage would only be 1.2V.

RattleHornet
11-17-2010, 05:39 PM
Oh, I made mistake.:oops:
Thanks for pointed out the mistakes.:D

Rhyen Skytracker
11-17-2010, 06:26 PM
If you really want to use NiMH you can wire 5 or 6 of them in series. I wired 6 AAA NiMH for a Lux V and US 2.5. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=107 I placed the soundboard on top of the battery pack that only had 2 batteries and it worked great. I now use the Li-Ions a lot. You can use a single Li-Ion with an Economy board and FX board with great results.

Novastar
11-22-2010, 12:47 PM
actually PCBs are used with ALL Li-Ion cells. however, if it says protected in the product description, then it has a PCB built in already.

bottom line is that those cells have a PCB built into each of them so you're fine. ^_^Actually, this isn't 100% correct... it is possible to find Li-Ion cells with NO PROTECTION. So beware, folks. Make CERTAIN that you either wire up your own PCB, or one is pre-wired/built-in. It's the safety circuit, and very necessary.

People might wonder WHY would there be unprotected cells floating around? Well, if you wish to make your own pack (for example 3 x 3.7v for a more "11.1v" pack), you could get the individual cells and wire up your own PCB. Or maybe you're just replacing a dead cell. But whatever the case... it's my recommendation that people DO NOT wire up their own PCBs unless they specifically know why they are doing it, and the special details as well (such as "matching" cells for current voltage/capacity PRIOR to connecting the PCB).

Anyhow... so... yes, Li-Ion cells CAN be bought "bare"... so beware. :)

RevengeoftheSeth
11-22-2010, 01:47 PM
Actually, this isn't 100% correct... it is possible to find Li-Ion cells with NO PROTECTION. So beware, folks. Make CERTAIN that you either wire up your own PCB, or one is pre-wired/built-in. It's the safety circuit, and very necessary.

I think he meant that they SHOULD all have PCB's (as-in they are recommended to have them... or else!) attached to them in some form. But you are both right, never use or charge a Li-Ion cell without some sort of protection (whether it be on the cell or in the charger).

If you want to see what happens to an unprotected cell when it gets overcharged, there are plenty of videos on Youtube ;) Just search for 'overcharging battery'.

Novastar
11-22-2010, 11:46 PM
Right... for the thread's posterity, I want there to be NO question to any n00bz from today until zombies take over (lol!) that YES, you SHOULD use Li-Ion PCBs... but also that YES you CAN buy cells "unprotected"... and to beware / aware of such things. :)

I'm certainly not trying to be the grammar police, hahah... just making sure no one can say "But gee whiz, all these people at TCSS said that all Li-Ion cells are protected. Then my saber melted and set fire to my garage. What terrible people!!! GRRRRR!!!" LOL... :P

equinox13
11-23-2010, 06:10 AM
just a quick note - i said that PROTECTED cells have the PCBs built in... i never said anything about UN protected cells...

i also didn't specify unprotected or protected with the comment about them needing to be used with ALL cells...

for clarification for zombies and werewolves and katboi apocalypse critters, if a cell says protected, it has a PCB built in and if it says unprotected or doesn't say anything at all (which is more common) you need to wire a PCB to it.

i use unprotected cells myself for the simple reason that i have so many batteries from dead laptops... thanks. ^_^

RevengeoftheSeth
11-23-2010, 09:02 AM
from today until zombies take over

They are already here.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_bXm_P51ED1k/S7ORrdtn2bI/AAAAAAAABKg/pPKxJCDA6iQ/s1600/funny-pictures-your-child-watched-too-many-zombie-movies.jpg

Novastar
11-23-2010, 12:18 PM
I do that to my cats all the time.

Food is getting scarce around my apartment. Trying times. Economy is bad. Cats are "the other" white meat. :D

Skottsaber
11-23-2010, 12:21 PM
As long as it isn't dogs, it's fine ;)

equinox13
11-23-2010, 12:46 PM
actually i think dog is tastier...

RattleHornet
11-23-2010, 08:54 PM
Flavor of the Java sparrow is wonderful.:cool: