PDA

View Full Version : Fix Bent Parts???

sev95
11-10-2010, 01:46 PM
If an MHS piece is bent, can you fix it? It would be at the threaded area. Does anyone know if that is possible? Thanks!!

lightjedi

Jedi's can carry a red saber!!!!
What Jedi?
A Sith Jedi!!!!

RevengeoftheSeth
11-10-2010, 02:34 PM
Dang, how did you bend it? That's not an easy task.

Once you bend metal, it will never go back to the original shape without serious re-manufacturing. The metal stretches and the molecules get out of alignment.

FenderBender
11-10-2010, 03:12 PM
I have bent female threaded pieces and if it's not too bad, I can straighten them by putting it on the lathe and forcing the bull nose into the bent side. This doesn't work for all types of damage. Sometimes if it's just a hair out, I'll grab some oil and my strap wrenches and screw it on to a male piece while in a lathe or vise and force it to straighten out. This only works with very slightly bent pieces.

Other than that......*shrugs*

acerocket
11-10-2010, 04:01 PM
I assume you mean something along the lines of you dropped your part and the female threaded end was 'smashed' and now you can't thread a male threaded part into it? If the bend is not to extreme, what you can try is to screw the male threaded part in as far as you can (but not until you jam it in there). Using a rubber or nylon tipped hammer, hit it carefully at the point where the bend is. Try and screw the male threaded part in a little more. Keep doing this until you can screw the parts together easily enough. Now, if you smashed it pretty good, I don't suspect that there is much you can do. You can try to find some sort of cone shaped piece like Fender mentioned and try to get it back in shape, but this might damage the threads.

sev95
11-11-2010, 01:00 AM
Yeah, I didn't think there was anyway I could. Thanks though!