PDA

View Full Version : What should I use for the REBEL

sev95
11-08-2010, 01:31 PM
I would like to know what resistor I should use with a red rebel star and what battery pack? Can I use the same resistor from the Luxeon III or Seoul P4 kits? I don't know that much about these things. Thanks!!

lightjedi

Jedi-Loreen
11-08-2010, 02:16 PM
You might be able to, but it depends on 2 factors that you need to know first, to figure out what resistor you need.

What's the forward voltage (or voltage drop across the LED) of the red Rebel? Is it 2.10 or 2.90 volts? I see both listed for the various red Rebels. You'll need to know that to use a resistor calculator. You'll also need to decide what your battery solution is going to be.

For example, if you have the Rebel that has the forward voltage of 2.1V and you used it in a 6V circuit (4AA or AAA alkaline batteries), you'd need a 5.6 ohm resistor, which is carried in the Store.

If you have the Rebel that has the Vf of 2.9 and used a 4.8V rechargeable system (4 NiHM batteries), you'd need a 3.3 ohm resistor.

All the red Rebels need 700mA in current, but you really need to know what the voltage drop across the LED and decide on your battery supply to know what resistor you need.

sev95
11-08-2010, 03:27 PM
I don't know what the forward voltage is for the red rebel. I am just basing my info off of the TCSS product page. I don't know what a forward voltage is either. You must excuse my lack of knowledge in the field of electronics. I only know how to wire something together and how to complete a circuit. Other than that, You go way over my head. Thanks for the info though!!!!

lightjedi

Jay-gon Jinn
11-08-2010, 09:57 PM
The Rebel description says that the store only stocks the brightest versions of them, and the brightest version in red is the 102 lumen, 2.1v, 700ma. Rebel. so, that'd be my guess as to which red Rebel you have.

sev95
11-09-2010, 02:37 AM
Thanks for the info!! I think I am going to buy the 5.6ohm 10w resistor. Thanks so much for all your help!!! BTW where do I start a thread outlining the building of sabers from scratch? Thanks!!

lightjedi

Jedi-Loreen
11-09-2010, 09:29 AM
When I looked on the Store page yesterday, I didn't see the red Rebel listed. :neutral:

So, from that I had assumed that he'd already ordered one himself, since I don't think the Store was carrying them as long at there were the red LuxIIIs still in stock.

Oh well.

Maybe I taught you a little about LEDs and how to calculate resistor values needed for them, anyway.

Jay-gon Jinn
11-09-2010, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the info!! I think I am going to buy the 5.6ohm 10w resistor. Thanks so much for all your help!!! BTW where do I start a thread outlining the building of sabers from scratch? Thanks!!

lightjedi

In the section of the forums called "A to Z Build Threads."

sev95
11-10-2010, 03:24 AM
I haven't bought one yet. I was waiting to find out the resistor needed from you guys. I haven't seen a red Lux III yet on the store site. They only carry red/o and amber. But I was going to buy a seoul P4 kit until I heard about the rebel stars. Thanks!!! Hopefully I can start using my jedi-fu to build a saber!!!

lightjedi

Jedi-Loreen
11-10-2010, 12:46 PM
You won't see anymore red Lux IIIs here, they are out of production.

sev95
11-10-2010, 01:50 PM
You won't see anymore red Lux IIIs here, they are out of production.

I found red Lux IIIs at ledsupply.com.

RevengeoftheSeth
11-10-2010, 02:43 PM
Please remove your link to that website. We don't advertise other retailers here. This forum is attached to a store.

sev95
11-10-2010, 02:59 PM
I am sorry that I offended someone but if someone can't find something in the store, shouldn't they be told where they can find something? I just wanted people who read this that there still are red Lux IIIs out there. As well as blue, royal blue, cyan, red/o, amber, green, and white. Its just like saying, "You can find _____ for cheaper down the street in walmart. Who cares?

lightjedi

Jedi-Loreen
11-10-2010, 04:43 PM
Yeah, I'm sure they have a some left, but they aren't being made anymore. But I don't think Tim will be restocking them here in the Store.

RevengeoftheSeth
11-10-2010, 06:28 PM
The reason you shouldn't post it is because it is a competing technology with the Rebels and P4s here in the store. It's not exactly what you are looking for, but it's still apples to apples.

Skottsaber
11-11-2010, 09:02 AM
And it's also in the rules :wink:

Novastar
11-11-2010, 02:51 PM
Especially when you're getting free help from a bunch of experienced people who have been here @ TCSS helping people for 2+, 3+, 4+ years... :)

Gin Malinko
11-18-2010, 07:08 PM
how bright are those red rebels? like in person?

RevengeoftheSeth
11-19-2010, 08:20 AM
It's kind of hard to say without showing, but cameras rarely do the brightness of LEDs justice. You may have to try one out and see how you like it.