PDA

View Full Version : My son's Christmas present

JRD1
11-07-2010, 01:50 PM
This has nothing to do with Sabers and everything to due with our knowledge of L.E.D's.

My son is a huge fan of Iron man. I am getting him the Iron man helmet for Christmas and am planning on wiring up hand blasters for him that connect to the helmet when it makes the blaster sound the L.E.D.'s in the palm of some gloves will light up and pulse with the helmet's sound board. My wife sews and will sew in a liner into a long sleeve shirt or something with quick disconnects at bothe ends. How should I disperse the heat so his hands do not get too hot....? Ideas? I was thinking of copper tube to disperse the heat...

equinox13
11-07-2010, 01:57 PM
first off, are you going to be using high power LEDs with optics? or regular 3-5mm LEDs in an array?

iamdrake
11-07-2010, 02:10 PM
first off, are you going to be using high power LEDs with optics? or regular 3-5mm LEDs in an array?

Wouldn't 3-5mm whites with a plexiglass diffuser work to give the effect and keep the heat down?

xl97
11-07-2010, 03:21 PM
accent LEDS are the most practical.. and you can get some very bright ones.

as far as 'pulsing' unless the board output some sort of PWM 'pulse' for the led.. you'll need some sort of 'driver' to control and make it do what you require. (I believe) ;)

to be honest.. my 1st suggestion would be to check out

www.instructables.com Im sure there are 100's of IronMan tuts on there.. from Arc Reactors to Hand/Guantlet Repulsors. =)

Ronan
11-07-2010, 08:27 PM
I suggest GOOGLE, i have seen a ton of Iron Man props out there, and there's some really good one.

What you are attempting to do has been done before (many times), and i think you would benefit better from people with first hand experience.

Cheers :)

JRD1
11-08-2010, 08:00 AM
Thanks everyone! I will look into it!:grin:

fawnheart2000
11-08-2010, 10:34 AM
Why don't you just pick up one or two of these

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Iron-Man-2-Electronic-3-in-1-Repulsor/13283145

They have built-in sound and the lights are motion activated when he lifts his hand. and they're only $10 at Walmart right now.