PDA

View Full Version : MHS coupler

Strydur
10-21-2010, 08:40 AM
This is a coupler based off a push to release design that Sloth most recently used.

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/images/QCA.jpg
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/images/QCB.jpg

equinox13
10-21-2010, 08:45 AM
sign me up for 2 please! ^_^

Darth Xusia
10-21-2010, 08:45 AM
Sign me up for two! I hope this (or something similar)
makes it to the store.

Crystal Chambers
10-21-2010, 08:53 AM
I'm on board...I'd use them for sure. Most likely within the next 6 months. Although..

....one thing that's always bothered me about couplers is the tendency to look like the saber is broke as apposed to two pommels. I wonder if there's a way to make them look more like two pommels excluding the need for other parts. Like maybe a few rings of a wider OD on each side or something. Even if it meant another version later.

Skottsaber
10-21-2010, 08:57 AM
I must say, I love it, but am confused exactly on the operation of it.
Is it literally going to be a twist-lock system? Some more info would help rest my mind :D

oh...

THANKS TIM!!!! :D :D

Knighthammer
10-21-2010, 09:04 AM
Simply WOW....

jin starkiller
10-21-2010, 09:26 AM
yes sighn me up for 1 too.....so when u gonna have it available

cannibal869
10-21-2010, 09:35 AM
SWEET!!!! :D:cool:

Just a suggestion - is it possible to drill some small holes in the sides for sound to escape since many of us still use the traditional speaker in the pommel area?

Jedi-Loreen
10-21-2010, 09:37 AM
I must say, I love it, but am confused exactly on the operation of it.
Is it literally going to be a twist-lock system? Some more info would help rest my mind :D

oh...

THANKS TIM!!!! :D :D
There's some pieces missing from those CAD file images, Skott.

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showpost.php?p=184433&postcount=74

Skottsaber
10-21-2010, 09:48 AM
I didn't mean how it worked, I meant how to use it ;)

ARKM
10-21-2010, 10:03 AM
Very cool coupler Tim.

Strydur
10-21-2010, 10:30 AM
Here is a new design. It uses two identical halves. This allows for caps to be snapped in place as well.

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/images/QCC.jpg
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/images/QCD.jpg
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/images/QCE.jpg

ARKM
10-21-2010, 10:48 AM
Also very cool.

Onli-Won Kanomi
10-21-2010, 10:55 AM
That is AMAZINGLY cool!

I looove the SYMMETRY of that new design...

...PLEEEEEEEASE greenlight that for the store!

Silver Serpent
10-21-2010, 10:59 AM
Simple and elegant. While I personally am not interested in building a saber-staff, this looks like an excellent solution.

Darth Thanos
10-21-2010, 11:13 AM
Yet again another example of tim's good business since he listens to his customers

RevengeoftheSeth
10-21-2010, 12:24 PM
This would encourage me to build my first saber-staff.

Really awesome that this may come to fruition.

iamdrake
10-21-2010, 01:24 PM
A definite order item for me.

jjshumpert
10-21-2010, 01:57 PM
heres a question for ya tim, in use of these couplers with sound saber do you think we will have to use a reverse sound setup? im just looking at the design and it doesnt seem like sound ports in the coupler itself would work so well, might sacrifice strength. great design, cant wait to get a set to play with!

Strydur
10-21-2010, 02:14 PM
When seperated they should work fine. Some holes could be added to allow sound to escape when connected.

jjshumpert
10-21-2010, 02:28 PM
good deal, any idea when this might make it to the store? i need 3 sets :D

Crystal Chambers
10-22-2010, 04:46 AM
The second one really is quite an improvement.

What if the thread was long enough to add trim rings to give it more of a pommel look? Would that work?

Rhyen Skytracker
10-22-2010, 05:30 AM
That is a good idea about the trim rings. Maybe make the threads .6 or .65" in length? There would be a good bit of stress at that point during certian swings and spins.

xl97
10-22-2010, 06:26 AM
arent pommel threads a bit shorter anyways..to accept a speaker mount? making them even shorter to accept trim rings would leave even less threading..

enough?

Crystal Chambers
10-22-2010, 06:30 AM
I think you're confused..or I'm missing something

We're taking about having the threads longer on the coupler to allow for trim rings, and still have lots of thread for the strength needed. Longer then that on a pommel.

Invisas1979
10-22-2010, 07:14 AM
The second one really is quite an improvement.

What if the thread was long enough to add trim rings to give it more of a pommel look? Would that work?

That is a good idea about the trim rings. Maybe make the threads .6 or .65" in length? There would be a good bit of stress at that point during certian swings and spins.

Yeah this would make the pommel better looking. And I wouldn't think there'd be any less stress if using a double male with slots. Unless you're talking about stress on the mechanism of the quick connect.

arent pommel threads a bit shorter anyways..to accept a speaker mount? making them even shorter to accept trim rings would leave even less threading..

enough?

It shouldn't impact sound if the thread is longer, because the trim ring will take away a bit of length by adding some length. With a longer thread and trim ring you'd have a similar overall length. Right CC

I think you're confused..or I'm missing something

We're taking about having the threads longer on the coupler to allow for trim rings, and still have lots of thread for the strength needed. Longer then that on a pommel.

Only prob with the trim ring idea is you'd have to use one with the pommel or you would have issue with the threads running right up to the speaker.

Tim this is a good idea what I'd want to know is the unit price. A double saber is setting you back two manlys as it stands. If the coupler added another $50-$60 bucks it might be too rich for a regular store item.

But considering I like double sabers and I'm hoping to do one in the next few months this would be very handy, especially if you had a pommel clip to make the connect into a propper pommel.

Smart thinking here.

Crystal Chambers
10-22-2010, 07:21 AM
Oh right! I forgot about the speaker since I don't use them in the pommel. The trim ring leaves the speaker holder loose when used together unless the threads on the coupler were longer to compensate for the trim ring.

The trim ring sounds like a better idea now! IMO. Of course then it would REQUIRE a trim ring if using a speaker holder, otherwise you'd have a gap.

When it comes to price you ARE getting 2 really fancy pommels with an added function, but it is a good point that to complete a double with a coupler you are buying two sabers really...ouch.

ecko
10-22-2010, 08:36 AM
This coupler is totally awesome.
I was thinking a neat way to finish them would have some pommels with the same coupler attachment ends. Coupler "caps" if you will.
Another way would be to have Couplers with Female threads. You could then attach any pommel you wish to these and then couple them to the rest of the sabers couplers. When you want to staff it up, quick release the pommel/female couplers and connect the male couplers together.
Then you can attach the 2 pommel ends together for more convenient storage.
Of course this as well would add more expense to the staff.

xl97
10-22-2010, 08:54 AM
@CC-

you are correct.. I was 'reading it' wrong..

but still this means there would have to be TWO versions then.. one for those who want trims rings added...and those who do not...

I doubt there will be two versions..

@Invisas1979

I wasnt talking about 'sound' at all.. purely the thread length + trim ring aspect.

if you have a speak mount in there.. the threads CANT be long.. (unless you are FORCED to use a trim ring)

Invisas1979
10-22-2010, 10:39 AM
This coupler is totally awesome.
I was thinking a neat way to finish them would have some pommels with the same coupler attachment ends. Coupler "caps" if you will.
QUOTE]

I think Tim said this in his post previously, but yes that would be the ideal for this set up.

[QUOTE=xl97;184578@Invisas1979

I wasnt talking about 'sound' at all.. purely the thread length + trim ring aspect.

if you have a speak mount in there.. the threads CANT be long.. (unless you are FORCED to use a trim ring)

Yeah I got both your and CC's points.

Still I think longer and having to have a trim ring is better than short.

ecko
10-22-2010, 10:54 AM
[QUOTE=ecko;184576]This coupler is totally awesome.
QUOTE]

I think Tim said this in his post previously, but yes that would be the ideal for this set up.

So he does in Post #12. Colour me corrected!
I guess I was just excited at the new product and giant pics to read words.

Crystal Chambers
10-22-2010, 06:08 PM
Umm...Tim you broke the forum rules on picture size..lol.

Not that it matters being you I just thought it to be funny.

RevengeoftheSeth
10-22-2010, 07:41 PM
Umm...Tim you broke the forum rules on picture size..lol.

Not that it matters being you I just thought it to be funny.

LOL - Busted! J/K, I think an epic MHS piece like that deserves an oversized picture ;)

Congratz on your 999th post, Crystal! One more to go.

Darth Midian
10-24-2010, 08:46 AM
That's is awesome. I've been waiting for something like this to come a long. I have two saberstaff ideas all worked out. I just needed a good coupler. Thank you Tim. Is it to early to ask what the ETA is for these?

Onli-Won Kanomi
11-04-2010, 12:31 PM
I'm looking at this again [the newer symmetrical design] and wondering where the sound holes would be when connected?

I guess if you made it a bit longer you could put a ring of them around the circumference or am I misunderstanding the drawing?

Takanis
01-11-2011, 05:36 PM
Love it. Want one!! Eager to hear more about this!

Azmaria Dei
01-11-2011, 06:37 PM
yeah, i'm eager to hear more about it as well.

Darth Midian
01-19-2011, 06:41 AM
I'm just wondering when it's going to be available. I really think people are going to snap this up.

Alcfalath
02-15-2011, 11:41 AM
I'm just wondering when it's going to be available. I really think people are going to snap this up.

One could easily assume it would be available when Tim brings it out :P He may need a few prototypes tested first before producing for in store, just in case. Either way, im sure he will update this as things progress. He is a busy man after all.

Onli-Won Kanomi
02-15-2011, 03:48 PM
Yes and by its design it's going to be a fairly complex piece, and one that when in use will take quite a fair bit of mechanical stress as well as needing to strongly resist wear since its likely to be connected and disconnected many times. So he is wise to take plenty of extra time testing thoroughly to make sure its right rather than rushing to market.

Azmaria Dei
02-15-2011, 03:50 PM
Yes and by its design it's going to be a fairly complex piece, and one that when in use will take quite a fair bit of mechanical stress as well as needing to strongly resist wear since its likely to be connected and disconnected many times. So he is wise to take plenty of extra time testing thoroughly to make sure its right rather than rushing to market.

which is another reason he's so awesome. ^_^ if another tester is needed, i volunteer. though being in Japan kinda delays things for a week more.

Piraterogue
07-24-2011, 05:43 PM
So any word on this coupler? Did it work in testing? Did it make it to testing yet? Did I miss seeing it in the store already?

KuroChou
07-24-2011, 08:28 PM
You'd know if it was in the store already. Running a business as big as Tim's is pretty hard to do, let alone mostly by himself. It'll come when it comes, and we'll all love it when it's here. In the mean time, spend lots of money here, to help him with prototype funds. :)

Strydur
07-25-2011, 10:28 AM
You'd know if it was in the store already. Running a business as big as Tim's is pretty hard to do, let alone mostly by himself. It'll come when it comes, and we'll all love it when it's here. In the mean time, spend lots of money here, to help him with prototype funds. :)

+1

The first proto was done and needed some work so v2 will be done when we can.

Onli-Won Kanomi
07-25-2011, 02:22 PM
Strydur is like Paul Masson; he *in Orson Welles voice* releases no part, before its time... ;-)

[please don't ask who Orson Welles was or you'll make me feel really ooolde...lol]

Battle_1
06-26-2012, 06:47 PM
Tim, I love this design and cant wait to see it in stores!
When will you put it out?

mrknify
06-26-2012, 07:22 PM
Strydur is like Paul Masson; he *in Orson Welles voice* releases no part, before its time... ;-)

[please don't ask who Orson Welles was or you'll make me feel really ooolde...lol]

original time machine

mrknify
06-26-2012, 07:26 PM
This is a coupler based off a push to release design that Sloth most recently used.

that is one awesome design.
]

Kael-Duvar Hawkens
06-26-2012, 08:03 PM
This piece is totally awesome!!!!! i just emailed Tim about something like this not 15 minutes before looking here. This piece is perfect for my staff!!!!!!!! MUST HAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Silver Serpent
06-27-2012, 05:52 AM
original time machine

No, H.G. Wells wrote The Time Machine (and The War of the Worlds). Orson Welles was the guy that did the radio broadcast of The War of the Worlds. He was also the voice of Unicron in the animated Transformers movie.

Darme
06-27-2012, 03:42 PM
This would be perfect! I look forward to it being available.

Thank You Tim! TCSS is fantastic. :grin:

mrknify
06-27-2012, 05:37 PM
No, H.G. Wells wrote The Time Machine (and The War of the Worlds). Orson Welles was the guy that did the radio broadcast of The War of the Worlds. He was also the voice of Unicron in the animated Transformers movie. well, welles and wells were well, excellent forerunners in science fiction, writing the stuff of... well dreams.]

Onli-Won Kanomi
06-28-2012, 03:40 AM
original time machine

LOL! Now I do feel ooolde! [jk] Nope that was Herbert George Wells but yeah Orson did the original War Of The Worlds radio broadcast that panicked America in the 30s and he also made Citizen Kane widely regarded by critics as the greatest movie of all time though I was the only student in my film school who admitted to not liking it, sorry AFI...

As for this coupler I'm sure it will be worth the wait...its a pretty complicated part afterall and I'm certain we all want it to be done RIGHT for a STRONG connection eh?

Arkos
10-16-2012, 10:45 PM
That piece is a kind of graal for us sabre enthusiasts, you know I'm in Tim!

Weaver
10-17-2012, 11:53 AM
Absolutely on my "to-buy" list. I don't feel a bit presumptuous about saying that a quick, easy, sturdy and stable saber coupler is in demand.

Darth Ryo
10-18-2012, 01:55 AM
+1, would love to try a double-bladed saber with that kind of coupler!

Arkos
11-08-2012, 06:54 AM
tiens, un Français!
And bump btw

Darth Scorn
11-08-2012, 07:05 AM
Im in this may be the part im looking for

DemonBunnyman
11-08-2012, 08:32 AM
i would like one also

Amik Asota
11-25-2012, 12:37 PM
I wonder, depending on the inner/general dimensions, if this twist/release coupler could be used to reveal a small crystal chamber?

Lucien Kane
11-25-2012, 04:09 PM
Love the concept, can't wait to see the reality. I'd definitely be buying one.

Darth Demens
12-23-2012, 08:58 PM
I will buy several of these. I've been wanting a good coupler for a long time. Any further news on how the v2 prototype went?

Strydur
12-31-2012, 01:31 PM
Here is a quick video of the latest coupler prototype. More info to come..

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/images/coupler.mpg

Weaver
12-31-2012, 01:34 PM
All right, guys...you can't look at that and tell me it's not neat. I want one.

MandoJoe
12-31-2012, 01:37 PM
I want seven. Okay, maybe not seven, but that is fantastic.

Yoshi-Taka
12-31-2012, 01:47 PM
That's really cool. Looks completely flush which is wild for the way it connects and disconnects.

cannibal869
12-31-2012, 02:58 PM
wow... that is all sorts of awesomesauce right there!

Sidd
12-31-2012, 03:45 PM
That thing is completely AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!

what are the odds the ability to have sound holes added as custom work?

Weaver
12-31-2012, 04:23 PM
I would think the hole drilling custom service could be used to add sound vent holes to the ends of each hilt. I wouldn't go drilling into the coupler directly, for fear of mangling its insidey parts.

Batosai
12-31-2012, 04:53 PM
crap, now I have to build a double bladed saber.
the coupler looks amazing!!!

Weaver
12-31-2012, 04:54 PM
I'm intending just to order duplicate parts from my first build and one of these couplers. I had been meaning to rewire and rebuild the saber anyway; this just gives me the perfect excuse to do so.

xl97
12-31-2012, 05:24 PM
wow... that is all sorts of awesomesauce right there!
^ .................

Silver Serpent
12-31-2012, 10:45 PM
I...um...wow! That's much nicer and far more interesting than I originally thought it would be.

Onli-Won Kanomi
12-31-2012, 11:39 PM
Impressive...most impressive...

:)

Darth Midian
01-01-2013, 11:21 AM
That is really incredible Tim, you do such amazing work.

cardcollector
01-01-2013, 02:04 PM
This will revolutionize the double-bladed saber world. 0_0

Amazing. Simply. Amazing.

ARKM
01-01-2013, 02:33 PM
That's pretty cool.

Lord Dottore Matto
01-01-2013, 09:24 PM
I have tested one of these...yeah...it is as cool as it looks.

Kevin Starwaster
01-02-2013, 02:24 PM
I have tested one of these...yeah...it is as cool as it looks.

So how sturdy was it? Would it stand up to stunt work?

Maxepane
01-04-2013, 03:14 AM
Is there an ETA for the shop? If all goes to plan, I may finally get to build a saber soon, and I'd like at least a set or two, would be cool to set up exchangeable pommels to cap each coupler.

Weaver
01-04-2013, 09:43 AM
I had also intended to do this. Wiring options may open up with this new part. I, for one, would be a bit less stressed about pommel-mounted recharge ports, knowing that no twisting is involved!

Duff Man
01-04-2013, 01:59 PM
(Waives hand)"you will bring these out". Can't wait to see a combat stress test(it is quality control....and IT'S ANOTHER REASON TO PLAY!!! )

Strydur
01-04-2013, 03:17 PM
I have 2 prototypes to give out but I want to make sure they get used in a build somewhat soon. What I will do is give one to the first two people who want to place a order for all of the parts to build a MHS based staff including two PC sound modules. Send me a E-mail if interested.

Lord Dottore Matto
01-05-2013, 10:04 PM
So how sturdy was it? Would it stand up to stunt work?

I believe it would.

Strydur
01-09-2013, 06:23 PM
Since nobody has taken me up on my offer yet I will extend the same offer if NB sound modules are used as well.

Weaver
01-09-2013, 07:29 PM
I would gladly accept if finances allowed. Right now I'm trying to keep my bills paid. Hopefully my situation will change soon.

Darth Ryo
01-10-2013, 01:29 AM
Since nobody has taken me up on my offer yet I will extend the same offer if NB sound modules are used as well.

I'm quite late on this thread, just watched the video! That is an impressive piece :o
Had it be a few month back, this would have changed my current build entirely hehe :)

But, I have an idea for another saber that could benefit from this coupler.
If you're ok Tim, we can discuss this by mail (I'll need some details about it and I'll expose my idea to you).

Lord Dottore Matto
01-12-2013, 12:40 AM
I have an update. I installed one in my son's dual bladed saber. He is 8 and a dueling beast. He has been beating the crap out of his buddies for a week and the coupler is no worse for the wear. It still functions perfectly and the saber stays together when it is meant to stay together. This is an awesome advance in dual bladed saber tech. I LOVE it and will likely use many of these as we move forward.

Takanis
01-12-2013, 06:36 AM
I have an update. I installed one in my son's dual bladed saber. He is 8 and a dueling beast. He has been beating the crap out of his buddies for a week and the coupler is no worse for the wear. It still functions perfectly and the saber stays together when it is meant to stay together. This is an awesome advance in dual bladed saber tech. I LOVE it and will likely use many of these as we move forward.

Thats awesome to hear, LDM! I'd love to use one but I already have the MHS parts and boards for the staff :( I think that's the first time I've ever been disappointed to have saber parts in-hand, lol.

Sidd
01-12-2013, 02:34 PM

Do we get to see a picture of this saber? this Slayer of Jedi?

I have a build planned for the coupler but its looking like it make take about $300 in MHS parts plus custom parts and the electronics. It will happen but its going to be a while

Duff Man
01-12-2013, 04:11 PM
I agree with Sidd, we need pic/video of the beating(along with full force adult testing). I also have plans for a Dojo/Demo beater stunt that will benefit from this. "there is no Patience there is wanting"....DO IT NOW!!! :D

Lord Dottore Matto
01-12-2013, 10:36 PM
Good luck with that, :lol: He whooped that arse so bad that I don't think the kids will be doing that again until at least next week ;) My 8 year old is 5' tall and is a beast. If he cant break it, neither can you.

DarthMarr
02-10-2013, 01:58 PM
what is the ETA?

Strydur
02-10-2013, 10:30 PM
Next week or the week after.

Silver Serpent
02-11-2013, 06:33 AM
Squeee!

Onli-Won Kanomi
02-11-2013, 11:38 AM
*seconds the "squeee"

TrypWyr
02-28-2013, 08:42 PM
Hey Strydur, hope you had a great vacation!

I'm most definitely not trying to ask one of those pesky "stock" questions, but I'm debating if I should delay my order or not... Is there an updated ETA when this part will be available? Can't wait to get my hands on one! :D

Strydur
03-01-2013, 12:18 AM
They are mostly done but we ran into some last minute issues. Hopefully they will just need a minor adjustment and we can get them up next week sometime.

DarthMarr
03-01-2013, 05:23 PM
I hope they get added to the MHS Builder.

Craevn
03-20-2013, 06:02 PM
I cannot wait to be able to order 1 of these bad boys! As soon as they are available Im getting one!

Strydur
04-21-2013, 08:42 PM
Okay, we finally have a batch of these ready. There are a few changes already planned for the next batch but these work just fine and we want to get feedback on them. I am offering them at a introductory price (around $25 less than they will be) to the forum members first. You can order via this link as they are hidden in the store http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Product.aspx?ProductId=848 Please use this thread to post feedback and discuss any changes that you may want, etc.. Please limit 1 per customer!!

Blade-Rave
04-21-2013, 11:06 PM
Wow, can't believe I haven't come across this topic until now. And here I was, trying to find a way to make a coupler system utilizing 3 springs for each half to put pressure on a plate set in each pommel for a twist-lock feather, and use the spring tension to keep them from coming apart accidently. This gives me an idea for twin sabers I seek to make in the future with Petit Croutons.....

Darth Ryo
04-22-2013, 02:45 AM
Great news :D, I'll give you a mail later today to finalize my built.

TrypWyr
04-22-2013, 07:22 AM
AWESOME!

Just to verify, since there's no picture or description, these are both pommel pieces, yeah? I'm assuming that since you said "limit 1"... Thanks Tim, been looking forward to this!!

Strydur
04-22-2013, 08:13 AM
Yes, it is one coupler set..

TrypWyr
04-24-2013, 10:22 PM
Got mine today... wow, two days from order to arrival, a new best! :)

I like it. I really like how fluid the release is, very smooth. It will be interesting doing some powder coating, but that was expected. I did lose a spring on the first part I disassembled, but I found it soon afterward. This made me think that perhaps the store should stock parts?

The only issue I have is the amount of "play" when "coupled". When I join the two sabers together, there's quite a bit of movement. I'm curious, what are the changes for the next revision?

Don't get me wrong, this is an awesome part and I can't wait to see what the community does with it! I anticipate it being used not only to join two sabers, but possibly for some interesting reveal chambers or removable sections...

Strydur
04-25-2013, 12:54 PM
The main change is in the way the button attaches to the little locking piece. The button will sink into it a bit making it harder or impossible for the locking piece to turn which will happen if the screw gets loose at all. As far as play in the joint I will need to look into it some more and see if anything can be done without making the locking sections longer, etc. We might be able to just tighten up the fitment a hair to take out some of the slack.

Darth Ryo
05-30-2013, 09:22 AM
Hey Tim,

Just received mine, thanks a lot!
And here is my feedback:

First a quick picture to illustrate (and help my potential lack of English):
http://i44.tinypic.com/fjq3h0.jpg

Overall, the look of this piece is great and integrate perfectly with the other MHS part (on the picture I used the parts I had available, that is not the build I had in mind for it, need more time :P). I definitely like it a lot.
It releases and goes back coupled easily enough too, and the process is pretty cool.

Now I have 3 remarks (corresponding number in the picture):

1- I know that this is part of making this coupler as less noticeable as possible, but still going to mention it; the area circled in read has pretty sharp edges (more precisely it's the empty “switch” hole that bothers me).
I did some """live action act""" a little and managed to cut my finger once I pushed the button and released both half (small cut of course). This can look a bit of a stupid remark (poeple could say I did not properly used it), but I did that test on purpose and the result was as I expected… a bit to sharp for my taste :)

Bottom line, I would suggest that the switch holes edges were very slightly chamfered (less sharp), even if that’s make the button a bit more visible to the eyes. Would still look good to me and there would be no need of being careful when releasing it.

2- Just a suggestion there, I noticed you could make the male thread part ID slightly larger (up to 1.15”), so that it could welcome a chassis disk style 3.
It could indeed serve to easily house a recharge port or led in the coupler using that disk for example.
So I would suggest that it came by default with a 1.15 ID, like the ribbed extension.

3- As already pointed, there is indeed a bit of play when coupler (a gap can be noticed) and clicking noise is made when swinging the thing around. But as this is already addressed, no need for more comments :)

Other than that, I pretty satisfied by this coupler module, great job!
I hope this feedback will help, and don’t hesitate to ask questions ;)

Cheers!

Strydur
05-30-2013, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the feedback!!

I did not like the sharp edge as well and it is something we have discussed changing.

We did want the part extra strong but a 1.15" ID at the threaded end should still be plenty.

Darth Ryo
06-03-2013, 03:18 AM
Welcome :)
Nice then, looking forward the new version!

Weaver
06-03-2013, 06:38 AM
I might be the only one thinking of using them this way, but...wouldn't it be nice to have a saber that could be quickly disassembled for faster SD card access? I see many sabers that unscrew at the halfway point, because that's where the card is located. With these couplers, all you'd have to do is press the button and pull the card. Bam. Done.

Sure, unscrewing MHS parts doesn't really take a lot of time, but...quick-change parts are never a bad thing.

Takanis
06-06-2013, 05:45 AM
I appreciate the feedback as well. I'm looking to get one sometime in the near future; most likely when the "new" batch is out.

Cire Yeldarb
07-09-2013, 04:45 PM
This is an amazing idea! I will definitely be wanting to use this on a future Saber!

Question about it though, It doesn't look like it from the picture but I just want to verify: Can this hold an MPS Insert? It would be great to be able to stick a Recharge port down in there with an MPS Insert Style 2, 6, 13, etc.

Here is a new design. It uses two identical halves. This allows for caps to be snapped in place as well.

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/images/QCC.jpg

Forgetful Jedi Knight
07-09-2013, 04:52 PM
This is an amazing idea! I will definitely be wanting to use this on a future Saber!

Question about it though, It doesn't look like it from the picture but I just want to verify: Can this hold an MPS Insert? It would be great to be able to stick a Recharge port down in there with an MPS Insert Style 2, 6, 13, etc.

From the looks of it, no. It is meant for a double saber, and is not just 2 pommels stuck together.

Cire Yeldarb
07-09-2013, 05:04 PM
From the looks of it, no. It is meant for a double saber, and is not just 2 pommels stuck together.

I must heartily disagree as I believe that is exactly what this is for. If you just wanted a double ended saber, there are many other, less complicated options (the "Double ended male threaded connector" sold in the Shop) This piece seems exactly meant to be for making a saber that can quickly go from two to one and back again swiftly.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
07-09-2013, 05:15 PM
I must heartily disagree as I believe that is exactly what this is for. If you just wanted a double ended saber, there are many other, less complicated options (the "Double ended male threaded connector" sold in the Shop) This piece seems exactly meant to be for making a saber that can quickly go from two to one and back again swiftly.

Excuse me??? That wasn't what you asked...

Remember?

To which I answered - no. There doesn't appear to be anyplace to put pommel inserts in there. It is great for a double saber to go from two down to one and back again - which is why is it good for a double saber (as I stated earlier) :rolleyes:

Cire Yeldarb
07-09-2013, 05:25 PM
Yes I know you answered my question, I had just thought the way you worded your answer was implying that the idea I had was not valid as it would not go along with the use of the Part in a Saber (It sounded like you thought I didn't know how this part would be used). Which is why I responded the way I did. I guess I misread your reply. Sorry!

Forgetful Jedi Knight
07-09-2013, 05:42 PM
Yes I know you answered my question, I had just thought the way you worded your answer was implying that the idea I had was not valid as it would not go along with the use of the Part in a Saber (It sounded like you thought I didn't know how this part would be used). Which is why I responded the way I did. I guess I misread your reply. Sorry!

Well since you can't fit a pommel insert in the quick disconnect as it's currently constructed, in a way what you thought I said is accurate, from a certain point of view. ;)

You could accomplish what you want to do, (open it up via quick disconnect and have access to a recharge port, or two) it would just take some planning and creativity. ;) It's time for your plan-fu test. :D Good Luck.

Onli-Won Kanomi
07-09-2013, 07:46 PM
OK I just checked my coupler and you CAN fit an MPS insert in the hole...HOWEVER there is no milled grooved for the retaining C-clip. Moreover with regards to using a recharge port the coupler latch has protruding screw on the inside which MIGHT interfere with the clearance for a port if it protrudes from the insert, or with a kill key depending on its design...I'm not certain on that and it might depend on which insert you use and which kill key [the new skinny plastic one might be possible but again I'm not sure] but it appears it would be a close fit IF possible at all. Maybe Strydur will make the next revision with the MPS clip groove or maybe not but as of now you can't use the clip to secure the pommel insert inside so would require a 'creative solution' [kludge]. Of course we DIYers like the 'challenge' of kludges sometimes eh? ;) But the coupler in its present form while an awesome advance for the hobby isn't 'drop in ready' for what you want to do.

Cire Yeldarb
07-10-2013, 09:44 AM
OK I just checked my coupler and you CAN fit an MPS insert in the hole...HOWEVER there is no milled grooved for the retaining C-clip. Moreover with regards to using a recharge port the coupler latch has protruding screw on the inside which MIGHT interfere with the clearance for a port if it protrudes from the insert, or with a kill key depending on its design...I'm not certain on that and it might depend on which insert you use and which kill key [the new skinny plastic one might be possible but again I'm not sure] but it appears it would be a close fit IF possible at all. Maybe Strydur will make the next revision with the MPS clip groove or maybe not but as of now you can't use the clip to secure the pommel insert inside so would require a 'creative solution' [kludge]. Of course we DIYers like the 'challenge' of kludges sometimes eh? ;) But the coupler in its present form while an awesome advance for the hobby isn't 'drop in ready' for what you want to do.

Alright perfect, that is exactly what I needed to know! As long as an insert fits in there, it gives me a place to start, the rest I can figure out a creative workaround for. Thank you very much sir!:D

Darth Ryo
09-23-2013, 06:41 AM
I did some more use of this compler while building my staff.

I've noticed 2 things that I can add to my feedback:

- The amount of play when attached is greater now that have the coupler mounted on the staff... the weight of the other MHS peices thus increases that play.
It is a bit weird having that play when moving the staff, both saber parts (made of emitter/choke/ribbed section/3"extension) now clearly move when coupled together.

- One of the button doesn't fully come back up anymore when I attach both parts. I didn't do anything special to the coupler (yet), that just happens now... I think this has been mentioned already, but I wasn't going to read that thread over again ^^ So I mention it here. I think it is slightly twisting inside and it prevents the button peice to go back to its original position.

Now I also confirm that it is almost impossible not to cut my big fingers when detaching the coupler. But I'm thinking about a workaround for that one, using rubber peice or athumb screws, I'll eventually test that later.

Out of curiosity, Tim, do you have an idea when the second version will be released for tests?

Darth Ryo
10-17-2013, 09:22 AM
Ok, coupler mod is done ^^

http://goth-customsabers.ftl-network.com/log/wp-content/uploads/_d_improd_/14_f_improf_161x158.jpghttp://goth-customsabers.ftl-network.com/log/wp-content/uploads/_d_improd_/13_f_improf_166x158.jpg
http://goth-customsabers.ftl-network.com/log/wp-content/uploads/_d_improd_/15_f_improf_199x176.jpghttp://goth-customsabers.ftl-network.com/log/wp-content/uploads/_d_improd_/18_f_improf_292x175.jpg

Here are the full details of what I have done: coupler mod details (http://goth-customsabers.ftl-network.com/log/mhs-coupler-mod/)

Works much better now, very easy to detach and attach again thanks to the thumb screws.
And then, permanent loctite should prevents the mounting screws to get loose and let the metal part twist.

IndustrialAction
10-17-2013, 11:00 AM
That's a great mod Ced! Way to make it work consistently. Can't wait until all the kinks are hammered out so I can do a build with it

theta03
11-02-2013, 10:03 PM
resurrecting an old thread. I would love to be able to see this come to fruition, since it would work quite nicely for a saber my brother wants.

Takanis
03-09-2015, 02:29 AM
Okay, we finally have a batch of these ready. There are a few changes already planned for the next batch but these work just fine and we want to get feedback on them.

Heya Tim,

Is there any update on the "next batch" or are they still in development? Thanks so much!

ricochettinman
03-30-2015, 09:08 PM
I have just ordered this coupler, and just wanted to let you guys know that Ill be posting a video on it when it arrives.

Greenie
04-02-2015, 01:14 PM

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/images/QCA.jpg
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/images/QCB.jpg

Nice. This could be used to build a two piece Kanan Jarrus style saber if you could find some way of mounting a centred connection pin to connect /disconnect the Led. I've got all the ideas but I've not even built my first MHS saber yet so what do I know?

Mrawesome1470
02-11-2016, 05:38 PM
How do I order one of these, and are they compatible with the ultrasabers phantom initiate v2 hilts?

Silver Serpent
02-12-2016, 08:27 AM
They're in the store here: http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Product.aspx?ProductId=848 (sadly, they're out of stock at the moment)

I'm reasonably certain they are not compatible with US saber parts.