PDA

View Full Version : MHS Main Body Style 4~Possible durability issue?

Kyp Durron
10-17-2010, 02:51 PM
I was reading the reviews on this part and more than one person mentioned breaking this part while dueling. I am having a MHS saber built and the design calls for this part. Now while I don't plan on doing any "Guerrilla Style" dueling, I do want my saber to be able to handle spirited dueling at least.

Could anyone who has a saber made with this style section and has dueled with their sabers please chime in?

Thanks in advance,

-Kyp

Lord Maul
10-17-2010, 03:09 PM
First off, Tim has noted in the store that if you don't want the last ring machined, to add it to the order notes and he won't do it. That takes care of all durability issues.

As for the stock part, it depends on where in the saber you want the piece. If the weak portion is connected to a pommel, it won't ever break. If it is connected to the blade holder, then it's not as good of an idea.

Kyp Durron
10-17-2010, 03:13 PM
Where is the weak portion located? is it the end near the switch hole? Or is it the part you'd normally attach a pommel to?

Here is how it's going to be used in the saber being built for me:

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o141/Jay-gon_Jinn/SaberBuilder_render-Kyp-Durron-7.png

From equinox13's post below, then this design should be fine, right?

-Kyp

equinox13
10-17-2010, 03:15 PM
by most designs i've seen it's on the pommel end - opposite the switch end. if i remember right.

Lord Maul
10-17-2010, 03:28 PM
Yeah, the weak end is away from the switch. It's weak because the section is machined down in the area with threads.

With your design Kyp, you won't run into any problems.

Kyp Durron
10-17-2010, 03:41 PM
Thanks, man. That's exactly what I wanted to know. I'm glad too, because I REALLY like that section in the design too...

-Kyp

equinox13
10-17-2010, 04:15 PM
it is quite ***y with a sleeve like that ^_^

YoRn Mangers
05-15-2016, 07:20 PM
Do you think diamond knurling the larger groves on the grip end will make a difference as well?

Jay-gon Jinn
05-16-2016, 06:24 AM
knurling on the raised ribs would be fine, and also in between them so long as the hilt piece is situated in the saber as it is shown above. BTW, I was the one that built saber for him, so I am pretty familiar with that particular design. ;)

YoRn Mangers
05-16-2016, 07:14 AM
I was thinking in between the raised grooves . But was also floating the idea of a shroud similar to the one shown above. Guess if I leave the last groove where the threads are like it is and cover it with the shroud I should be good.

Incidentally, if I were to slip O-rings into the small groves. Do you think a shroud would still fit?

Jay-gon Jinn
05-16-2016, 08:53 AM
The o-rings will fit if you use the right size. The'y'd have to be fairly thin, but it should be do-able.

YoRn Mangers
05-16-2016, 09:49 AM
Sounds like a plan. As always, thank you for the staged wisdom Master Jinn.

Onli-Won Kanomi
05-16-2016, 10:48 AM
The key words there were as Master Jinn correctly pointed out "fairly thin".

FYI I've tried what you are suggesting with hilt 4, a one-piece MHS sleeve material shroud and the TCSS store O-rings and THOSE didn't work for that application in my experience. You need O-rings where the ring material itself is of a thinner diameter [not meaning the inside/outside diameter of the 'o' but the diameter of the rubber 'tubing'] than the TCSS store O-rings and then it could work.

YoRn Mangers
05-16-2016, 05:50 PM
Ya, when i saw the pics on the store site I figured that was the case. Did you ever have any luck finding the right size? Maybe at somewhere like Lowe's?

FenixFire
05-16-2016, 07:31 PM
Ya, when i saw the pics on the store site I figured that was the case. Did you ever have any luck finding the right size? Maybe at somewhere like Lowe's?
Lowes would be doubtful a dedicated hardware store or farm store would be your best bet for a place with a large selection of sizes.