PDA

View Full Version : What makes something Steampunk??

cannibal869
10-15-2010, 11:11 AM
Just like the title says...
Getting some ideas for an upcoming build and wanted to get some ideas on what makes something "steampunk" ? i.e. when you think of steampunk what comes to mind (especially in relationship to building a saber)

I'll start with some ideas:

Lots of brass tubing or screws
gold and brass colors / accents
clock / watch gears
pressure gauges / old school meters with indicator needles
mercury filled thermometers or fluid-filled tubes?
magnifying lenses
brown leather

With specific reference to sabers:

Amber or greenish blade color?

Sound fonts? Ideally CF with maybe a kind of steam engine chugging idle hum, but CFs are so hard to find what's the next best thing? Green Goblin board?

What else can you guys think of?
Thanks!
-C

Rafalema
10-15-2010, 11:29 AM
With the CF, ResBlade is a great soundfont for a steampunk style saber.

Otherwise I cannot think anything you don't have in your list at the present time.

Skottsaber
10-15-2010, 11:43 AM
Maybe the "Steampunk" font by Eastern IIRC :rolleyes:

Otherwise, it might be cool to actually incorporate some real sounds into the saber. Something like a motor that clicks against something, a whirring sound (maybe also a motor) to be on while it is idle?

That would be true steampunk. Also, having some oldschool big switches, maybe a throw switch instead of a pushbutton, or adapt a slide switch to look like a lever. As steam powered machines were powered by fire, people often miss out the fact that smoke marks are a must for steampunk items.

Thats just a few ideas ;)

Crystal Chambers
10-15-2010, 12:14 PM
Don't forget the PC board. You may have to pay to have it someone with access install it, but if the right font is a must and no CFs are available then why not. I don't like any of the steampunk fonts I've heard yet but the right font would really set it off.

I think a blue blade would work since steam is water, and corbin film gives a nice texture to add some character.

RevengeoftheSeth
10-15-2010, 12:45 PM
Some wood pieces are included in steampunk. Oversized vents, valves, bolts, nuts, lots of copper and brass. Anything that makes you think 'industrial revolution'.

equinox13
10-15-2010, 01:13 PM
handcranks and nozzles and pulleys with belts.

cannibal869
10-15-2010, 01:57 PM
Don't forget the PC board. You may have to pay to have it someone with access install it, but if the right font is a must and no CFs are available then why not. I don't like any of the steampunk fonts I've heard yet but the right font would really set it off.

I think a blue blade would work since steam is water, and corbin film gives a nice texture to add some character.

PC board?? :confused:
Oh... the petit crouton?

Ahh yes, that would require paying someone to do it, huh?

xl97
10-15-2010, 03:23 PM
maybe Im unclear on the whole PC thing.. ;)

but I dont think 'anyone' can just make a saber have a PC installed in it...can they?

I think the approved PC vendors have to be the ones making the saber...no?

thanks

Skottsaber
10-16-2010, 12:51 AM
Yep.
NO installs of any kind.

xl97
10-16-2010, 06:01 AM
just wanted to be clear since it 'seems' they are building the Steampunk by themselves...

dont want anyone to be set-up for failure.

eastern57
10-16-2010, 06:36 AM
Hehe... that sound font was the first on I ever made... it changed a few times. ;) The hum is random heavy machine being operated and pitched-up grandfather clock, that's always been the same, and my favorite part.

When I got Brass xXx, I actually bought a bunch of knife switches, for that frankenstein "IT'S ALIVE!" moment... but I never found one that matched, and didn't look dumb...

I really like steampunk. And the thing that always stand out to me as a constant start point is: "how would this operate if there was no electricity?" That foundation in reality will open up so many ideas. You can always decide, later on, where that line between reality and fantasy is - and adjust it to your needs.

Here's a couple other questions that might lead you in different steamy directions:

"What parts of the lightsaber are usually the least interesting to look at, and how can I make those parts stand out more?"

"What makes an antique piece beautiful?"

"How have the parts that I'm using evolved and come into being? What did this part look like when it was first invented?"

"Why should I put everything inside the hilt? Why not outsde?"

"What is it about machines that make them interesting to look at?"

"What function does this part serve? And can I use that function for another purpose?"

I could go on like this for daaaaays... :D

Crystal Chambers
10-18-2010, 05:21 PM
I was under the impression that those who are PC certified could be hired for install, but they need to do the whole build and not just the wiring?

Using google or other search engines to look for steampunk images in general can get you some ideas as well.

xl97
10-18-2010, 06:22 PM
but they need to do the whole build and not just the wiring?

correct

cannibal869
10-19-2010, 12:36 AM
back OT... thanks Eastern for those really great questions! It's obvious you've given a lot of thought to the subject.

project is slowly starting to come together...;)

TimeRender
10-20-2010, 05:58 PM
Interesting. I'm working on another steampunk saber right now too.

When I think of Steampunk I think of a combination of industrial design and the Victorian aesthetic. One of the best inspirations are the locomotives and steam cars of the period. Many of them were very beautiful, not only as works of brilliant engineering, but also as objects of pure luxury.

One thing that I see a lot of but really don't care for is the use of gears as purely decorative objects on functional pieces. While I don't mind a gear standing in for a tie pin or a cuff link, seeing one glued haphazardly to the side of a plastic Nerf gun simply does not impress me. If you were to cut a small groove in the saber so that only the edge of a gear was exposed, you might be able to imagine that the gear is accessible to allow the wielder to make fine adjustments to the contraption's timing. Otherwise, I try to steer clear of them.

You already mentioned it, but one of the best things is to use authentic materials and even components if possible. Iron, wood, brass, copper and leather are all good materials to use.

Look up pics of an old Stanley Steamer, maybe a rolls royce 10hp, copper stills, and trains from early America and victorian England. Then maybe take a look at victorian era styling in general. I think that will give you a lot of inspiration.

equinox13
10-21-2010, 12:41 AM
one thing i've not seen yet is STEAM. i know it's hard to get a saber to put out a puff of steam, but there are indirect was of showing steam. high pressure stress, condensation, etc...

cannibal869
10-21-2010, 08:57 AM
one thing i've not seen yet is STEAM. i know it's hard to get a saber to put out a puff of steam, but there are indirect was of showing steam. high pressure stress, condensation, etc...

Oh no... not *that* again... :(
<flashbacks to "puff of smoke" thread...>

Side note: hey that hilt wrap is pretty sweet equinox!

side note 2: where the heck do you guys get the brass tubes from anyway? hobby store?

Skottsaber
10-21-2010, 08:59 AM
I think that steam could be dealt within the soundfont itself...

RevengeoftheSeth
10-21-2010, 09:49 AM
Oh no... not *that* again... :(
<flashbacks to "puff of smoke" thread...>

Side note: hey that hilt wrap is pretty sweet equinox!

side note 2: where the heck do you guys get the brass tubes from anyway? hobby store?

Sand down a sinktube if you don't want to wait for shipping. Otherwise you could pick one up from onlinemetals.com.

Jedi-Loreen
10-21-2010, 10:29 AM
I think he means the smaller diameter tubing, like what people usually use for a chassis and such, not sink tube.

Hobby stores, and some hardware stores, like Ace should have some small diameter tubing.

cannibal869
10-21-2010, 10:45 AM
I think he means the smaller diameter tubing, like what people usually use for a chassis and such, not sink tube.

Hobby stores, and some hardware stores, like Ace should have some small diameter tubing.

Yeah, that - thanks J.Lo;)

RevengeoftheSeth
10-21-2010, 11:58 AM
Yeah, that - thanks J.Lo;)

Still onlinemetals.com, then, if you want brass. I can usually only find small diameter tubing in copper around here, and I live in a large metropolitan area, too.

equinox13
10-21-2010, 02:39 PM
might want to look for rigid coax as well. it's likely going to be on the expensive side, but i'm sure it would look great if you could actually get some.

Cannibal - thanks! ^_^ i'm not entirely happy with it so i'll probably redo it here soon.

Darth Odious
11-11-2010, 05:00 PM

You could take the steam valve out of a model train set, as long as you got steam oil, and vent it out a hole in the hilt you can get a puff of steam/smoke.