PDA

View Full Version : Led Blade Holders

Do-Clo
12-05-2005, 06:50 PM
Tim will you be stocking more 1 inch blade holders and if so when???
Thanks

Strydur
12-06-2005, 09:16 AM
I will stock the sink tube ones but no eta on those yet. But I will have the new screw together hilts this week.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

ntyatecafe
12-06-2005, 01:56 PM
Any ideas on how much the screw together hilts will run?

Strydur
12-06-2005, 02:02 PM
Havent figured it out quite yet..been busy and they hadnt showed up yet..I will get them up as soon as I get them.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

ntyatecafe
12-14-2005, 01:42 PM
Just curious, but any ETA yet on the sinktube LED holders?

Thanks!

LAN-ED-TUL
12-20-2005, 07:54 AM
yeah, tim i have a friend that wants to buy a 1 inch led holder and he may want it machined down for a heiland like the one you done for me. i think he wants one some time in january i think.

Strydur
12-20-2005, 09:04 AM
Its going to be sometime in january before I get them.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

LAN-ED-TUL
12-20-2005, 09:18 AM
cool. tim i'll let him know then.

GrimaOllak
01-12-2006, 04:06 PM
Oh man, I've been checking this site every day (several times a day) in anticipation for when those sink tube holders get posted, since that's the one piece that I need in which to move forward with my saber design. I'm crossing my fingers that it'll be soon. [:D]

By the by, I already bought my sink tube, but I can't remember which thickness I bought (20 or 22 gauge). Without the use of a micrometer, is there any way to tell which gauge it is? I do know that when I bought it, there were both gauges in stock, and I bought the cheaper of the two (the more expensive one stated it was "professional" grade).

Erik
01-12-2006, 06:13 PM
Professional is thicker, more solid, hence 20 guage, as in wire. Bigger is finer[8D]

Nightwing
01-15-2006, 03:13 PM
Any ETA for the sink tube hilt kits? That's the one thing (besides the machined covertech knob) not currently listed on CSS that I need for my saber.

xwingband
01-15-2006, 04:32 PM
Yes, I have been waiting for them to come back in stock. If I were Tim I'd be stocking up majorly on those holders because I bet they will go like hot pancakes at an IHOP on Sundays.[:D]

<center>http://www.dewbackwing.com/dewbacks/files/pinupbanner.jpg
www.dewbackwing.com</center>

ntyatecafe
01-17-2006, 09:48 AM
Ha! That's the truth...I've already got all the other pieces needed.... I just keep staring at the pieces and waiting for those holders to come back in stock...yeah, they'll go REAL fast I bet!

Strydur
01-17-2006, 01:45 PM
What it looks like I will be offering atleast to start is a adapter that makes the modular hilt blade holders and end caps work on the sink tubes. Image a 1.5" section cut off of the modular hilt. Will this work for you guys?

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

scaarmor
01-17-2006, 02:03 PM
Do you mean an adapter that will allow us to screw/unscrew a modular blade holder to a sink pipe? If so, I think thats a great idea so people can choose to get the screw on or bolt on style-you will be getting the old bolt on style back in some time as well, right? And if the adapters allow for screw on/off end caps as well, I love it! It would be much nicer to have easily/quickly removable pommels as well.

Cain

***It is now that we battle.When you die, await my arrival in the afterlife where we will battle again.Perhaps there you may have the ability to defeat me,but not here,not now,not this day.So let us part with words and embrace the blade.***

xwingband
01-17-2006, 02:03 PM
Would this be mating with a sink tube in sort of the same way it fits on top of the screw in middle section? or will it still be able to fit inside the sink tube?

I think I could work with it either way though. I actually hoped I could make the emitter actually be the blade holder but you'd never know because I wanted to add parts to it.

EDIT: scaarmor kind of beat me to it.[:p]

Strydur
01-17-2006, 04:55 PM
Here is what it would look like.

../scripts/ADAPTER.jpg

(A) would be the part the sink tube would fit over it will also have 2 pre drilled and threaded holes on either side for mounting if you choose to use them.

(B) would be the standard LED, EL, or end caps that are made for the modular hilt system

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

xwingband
01-17-2006, 07:13 PM
Okay an odd question/request since you don't know my design but... Could this coupler be made to fit the 1.25" sink tube too?

I intentionally want the holder to overlap that 1/8" over on either side. Basically the idea I'm thinking of has the 1.25" sink tube being the inner tube. Then my shroud and grip area would be made out of the 1.5" sink tube. The shroud is going to go over the blade holder partly on one side. My idea would look perfectly if that coupler you make could work with the 1.25" diameter also. If not I'll just wait for the normal one to come in stock and work it out from there.

P.S.- If pictures would help I'll scan the drawings of my idea.

Strydur
01-17-2006, 08:03 PM
Sure..scan away

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

xwingband
01-17-2006, 09:01 PM
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b394/reelbigporter/lj/scan0009.jpg

It's just an exploratory sketch but the red hatched area would be the blade holder. I planned on cutting a bit off of the top of it. Hopefully you can see how if it coupled with the 1.25" tube how it would make this idea much easier.

Jedi Ranger
01-18-2006, 12:26 AM
I can't wait for these adapters, too. Hmmmm......I also can't wait to see what else Tim has up his sleeve, to empty our wallets.[;)]

<center>http://www.members.shaw.ca/Jedi.Ranger/images/Jedi_Ranger_Banner_4.1.jpg
http://www.members.shaw.ca/Dahak/</center>

GrimaOllak
01-18-2006, 07:38 AM
Tim, these adapters will still serve as the LED mount and heatsink, right?

It looks very cool. I can't wait till they come in! [:)]

Nightwing
01-18-2006, 11:14 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Strydur

Here is what it would look like.

(A) would be the part the sink tube would fit over it will also have 2 pre drilled and threaded holes on either side for mounting if you choose to use them.

(B) would be the standard LED, EL, or end caps that are made for the modular hilt system

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">I dunno... I really don't like this idea. I wanted to have the sink tube cut at an angle, to make a saber "shroud". And I wanted to cut it myself, so it'd be just perfect. The modular hilt system doesn't appear to be able to do this.

Do-Clo
01-18-2006, 11:34 AM
Tim can this adapter and holder be machined to fit inside of a Heiland flash unit? Also any word yet on the Vader conversion holders?
Thanks

Do-Clo
Mesa think we in big trouble.

Strydur
01-18-2006, 05:28 PM
Nightwing and do-clo,

When I add these to the site just order it and either ask me to make the whole assembly fit inside the sink tube (nightwing) or ask me to machine it all down to a certain size (Do-Clo)

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

Nightwing
01-18-2006, 07:18 PM
Cool. Can you put it all in a hilt kit or something?

wood7588
02-03-2006, 01:23 AM
Tim,
You probably get asked this question several times a day but I am going to ask anyway. Any word on when the sink tube blade holders are going to be available? I dont want to pester you but I have so many ideas for sabers and the holders are the one thing I truly cant work without. Its the curse of having a superior product, everyone wants one of the holders from you.
Thanks.

Strydur
02-03-2006, 01:34 AM
I am pretty sure I will have these within a week.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

Erik
02-03-2006, 07:54 AM
Boy, I sure hope you're ready for the flood of orders you're going to get then![:D] I'm saving up to buy 10 of the LED blade holders! Not to mention the custom work I've got a request on after the rush. By the way, Tim, when aren't you facing a rush?[;)]

Again thanks for all the good work

gundamaniac
02-03-2006, 10:34 PM
Oh boy oh boy, I can't wait for the sinktube blade-holders to come out. I've been wanting one of these for a loooong time now =P.

A Jedi gains power through understanding; a Sith gains understanding through power.

Umi_Ryuzuki
02-06-2006, 11:27 AM
Dibs on Three
Two custom for heiland flash tubes, one for
an MR Anikan hilt. Plus some miscellaneous supplies.

[:)][:D][8D]

Thanks for taking the time to work out so much of
the engineering.

Nyow!
/
=^o^=

GUFF
02-06-2006, 09:14 PM
First I gotta say I'm glad I found this site. This has fired me up and brought my urge to "tinker" full force (pun intended). Also, a big shout out to you Tim and all the other LS wizards out there. You are doing a great job, keep up the great work! We appreciated it!

I was planning on making an order now but I think i am gonna wait until these blade holders come in. I have plans to fit one into a 1.5 inch chromer so I can begin tinkering with my electronics. I have some ideas I want to try..

I also want to try to get one machined to fit into a 1.25 inch tube as my ultimate end goal saber will be of that size. I want to work towards getting my electronics designs down to fit in the 1.25 tube with adaquate(sp?)heatsinking and space left for the other components.

I may try to throw you're heatsink/holder into a temp chamber at work some time,once I get it in a tube with an Lux III installed. I would most likely throw a thermocouple on the led anode junction and the other somewhere on the heatsink area (maybe one in the tube somewhere near the last 1/3 of the tube). I would run at both 25C and 50C driving the led hard (1500ma no pwm) and allow the test to run until temps have stablized (The Electronic devices i test average 20-30mins).I am curious just how much heat the they do draw away. If they draw alot away, I may overdrive the led(s) and try to capitalize further with some PWM action.

Anyways, I am rambling like usual...[:D]

(How's that for my first post?)

Oh and nice saber design xwing! Very Unique!

"And Just Where Do You Think Your Going Rebel Scum?"

xwingband
02-06-2006, 09:26 PM
Somewhat unique...[:D] With the s-curve (Luke's saber) and I the bottom will end up looking like the Mara Jade with riveted metal for grips... I'm not going to try what I said there because I decided to make it go smaller with a 1 inch inner tube so there will be no problems with the blade holder.[:)] I'll still be buying a blade holder or two though.[:D] I can't wait to have all the parts I need because to fit the electronics I'm going to make the grip area twist and lock.[:0][:D]

GUFF
02-06-2006, 09:35 PM
Twist and lock grip area...nice touch..
It sounds like you are putting alot of thought into this hilt, hope you post some pics when it's done. Can't wait to see it.

I would like to make my own unique design as well. I would like to incorporate elements (mainly the stainless steel look and textures) of Obi wan's/Qui Gon's EPI sabers with some organic lines like those seen in Darth Sideou's EPIII saber. I also want it to be Kotor/Old Republic inspired. Clean, Elegant yet functional; the weapon of a true swordmaster.

I also have a Exar Kun double blade project in mind!

"And Just Where Do You Think Your Going Rebel Scum?"

brendon5500
02-06-2006, 09:45 PM
Tim, I'm still definately interested in the OLD blade holders you had for LEDs. Will you be restocking those as well? I understand you'll be getting a lof of modular pipes and parts, just hoping they won't be the end of the older style holders. I have 2 blades I'm working on for a fan film and they both specifically require the older holder. The conversion piece that you showed us will not work.

Strydur
02-06-2006, 11:04 PM
I might and I might not...if the adapters work out ok I would rather not stock the old style also. We will see how it all works out.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

OB Wayne
02-07-2006, 08:22 PM
i was just wondering if the holder you sell with the modular hilt system can be drilled and mounted inside a 1.5" sink tube?

GrimaOllak
02-07-2006, 08:34 PM
No, you're going to have to wait until his adapters come in. Then you'll be able to use 'em in the sink tubes. I think he mentioned they'd be in sometime this week. Cross your fingers.

Protein5000
02-07-2006, 09:51 PM
I thought the old style were meant to come in last month?

Strydur
02-07-2006, 10:23 PM
Egads people..I have been running this business less than a year and I have to put out thousands every time I stock a new machined item. I can only go as fast as the money and my machine shop can go. I know everyone wants the LED kits and trust me I would love to sell them if I had them. I will have the adapters this week..the downside is I am not sure I will have enough of the MHS led holders to last very long as MHS kits have been selling like crazy lately. But I will get more ordered and comin ASAP. Now that the design is all done on those items, I can get them made allot faster. Hang in there, they are coming.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

LAN-ED-TUL
02-08-2006, 03:39 AM
actually, im in need. as i already asked tim about it, another one of the older led holders. im not sure if those screw on ones will work for my application. im puttin it in another heiland handle. unless, perhaps, that adaptor can be machined to fit the heiland tube, then i could simply screw on the led holder on the end. that would work, if the adaptor will or could be machined to fit the heiland handle. what say ye, tim? can that be done? or are you getting some of the older ones in you can machine down for me?

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side...

Jonitus
02-08-2006, 06:20 AM
I ended up buying one of the MHS LED holders and machining it so the heatsink could be bolted to the body of the holder itself (a la old style LED holder)

Works great for me.

...how will you know the light unless you have seen the dark? How will you know the good unless you have flirted with the evil?

Pirate King
03-02-2006, 08:53 PM
I think the length added by the adaptor could be utilized in interesting ways, plus it adds some modular convenience without the cost of the entire kit.

{<font color="black">[[[</font id="black">(((<font color="red">o</font id="red">))<font color="gold">EE</font id="gold">[/<font color="blue">==============</font id="blue">

Do-Clo
03-02-2006, 09:28 PM
Lan, I had Tim machine on of the led led holders and sink tube adapters to fit inside of a Heiland flash tube and it works great. Another fine work by master builder Tim.

Do-Clo
Don't make me destroy you...

LAN-ED-TUL
03-03-2006, 12:25 AM
yeah, i had tim machine the adaptor down to go inside the heiland and i left the holder sittin flush on outside. overall with the 2 cell and 2 cell extension and the holder in place this things around a 5 cell in length now. perfect for a great saber i think. and the 48 inch poly c i got from tim will show 46 inches of the blade. so even tho its not as long as its really supposed to be, (egads i wouldnt be able to swing a 9 and a half foot long blade), it still makes it look long. still no satisfactory thing yet for that claw emitter. but i havent been lookin real hard just yet.

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side...