PDA

View Full Version : Plasti-Dip for Grips?

RoqueSaber
10-05-2010, 03:58 PM
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience using Plasti-Dip to make grips with. I was first looking into 1.5" heatshrink tubing, but then saw someone recommending this product instead. If anyone can give me a thumbs up or thumbs down, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

jin starkiller
10-05-2010, 04:59 PM
ive used it before on pvc grips but after a while it tends to rub off

cardcollector
10-05-2010, 05:53 PM
I used it on PVC, polywashers, and other things, it always rubs off...

It lasts for about 10minutes of fighting then... Blah.

RoqueSaber
10-05-2010, 05:55 PM
I see...thanks for the insight. Any ideas on an alternate material?

cardcollector
10-05-2010, 05:58 PM
Well, Orings are a great grippy subsitute. I don't know how you are going to use grips. Alot of my sabers use ribbed rubber flooring, it works great! you have to hide the seam when you wrap it around the tube though.

I have seen Stellar results with 1.5" heatshrink tubing...

ARKM
10-05-2010, 06:15 PM
You could try adhesive-backed black neoprene rubber. McMaster-Carr sells it. It comes in sheets and you can get it textured, untextured and in multiple thicknesses. The main down side is that there would be a seam if wrapping completely around a hilt.

FenderBender
10-05-2010, 06:25 PM
1.5" heatshrink works great. I've used it many times and it feels great, is very durable, and looks cool.

equinox13
10-05-2010, 07:04 PM
i may be wrong, but i think i remember someone using rhino-liner too. not sure how well that would work though.

RoqueSaber
10-05-2010, 07:05 PM
For the heat shrink, where would you recommend buying it?

@AKRM: That looks pretty cool. Do you know how well the adhesive sticks to a metal hilt, or should I just use the adhesive to hold it temporarily and then screw it in?

@Equinox: I read that as well, though I couldn't find an actual product for sale. It seemed that you had to go to a shop for it to be applied.

cardcollector
10-05-2010, 07:05 PM
i may be wrong, but i think i remember someone using rhino-liner too. not sure how well that would work though.

I tried that stuff... Same results as plasti dip- except it lasted a week instead of a few days...

equinox13
10-05-2010, 07:10 PM
when i was in south carolina i knew a guy that used the cheap spray on rhino-liner clone stuff. he didn't sand his truck bed down and it just peeled right off the first time he threw some stuff in the back. i just hoped the real stuff was a bit tougher, especially if you roughed up the surface a bit.

Shadar Al'Niende
10-05-2010, 07:24 PM
For the heat shrink, where would you recommend buying it?

Tim sells heatshrink, you wont find an answer here. Try googling...

psab keel
10-05-2010, 07:32 PM
I would save yourself the hassle and the money and use something other than plasti-dip. The coating goes on uneven, and it ends up coming off too easily.

ARKM
10-05-2010, 07:57 PM
@AKRM: That looks pretty cool. Do you know how well the adhesive sticks to a metal hilt, or should I just use the adhesive to hold it temporarily and then screw it in?

I have some but unfortunately I have not tried any on a hilt yet. As such, I cannot vouch for the strength of the adhesive. Sorry.

I'm sure it would work well as small pieces that fit into indentations but inset flush or not, it may not work well when wrapped all the way around the hilt.

Onli-Won Kanomi
10-05-2010, 08:49 PM
Tim sells heatshrink, you wont find an answer here. Try googling...

TCSS doesn't sell heatshrink large enough for hilts only wires so large heatshrink is not a competing product...I did mention it in the wish list a while back though since no stores around here seem to carry it in any sizes larger than 1/2".

Shadar Al'Niende
10-06-2010, 04:28 PM
I agree, however... if a site that sold large heatshrink were to be linked, said site would almost definitely sell smaller sized heatshrink like what IS sold in the store... no?

polarcupz
10-06-2010, 06:47 PM
I found some 1-1/2" heatshrink on amazon. Leather grips and others can be glued on with contact cement so you don't have to use screws. I read somewhere that Fender has used a 3M tape tht works the same as contact cement but you can cut it out... Hope this helps!:D

jjshumpert
10-06-2010, 06:56 PM
ive used herculiner and it works on pvc since you can sand it before the apply, not so good on aluminum hilts if not coating the whole piece, doesnt work at all on brass or chrome

Luke-SkyMarcher
10-09-2010, 07:20 AM
I've used spray-on truck bed liner, it works much better than plasti-dip. In my experience it works pretty well, even on aluminum and sink tube, but especially on PVC. (You do need to rough up the surface before spraying, though.) The stuff I used came in a large red spray can, from wal-mart, I think.

Here's a saber I made a few years ago where I used it.
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u228/Luke_SkyMarcher/sb-07-1.jpg