PDA

View Full Version : I could use a bit of wiring advice.

Ari-Jaq Xulden
10-01-2010, 08:29 AM
HI guys.

First let me say I am quite aware, some of these components were never designed to be connected this way. I am hoping some of the electronic gurus will chime in here. For some reason I keep blowing fets. I started with a lighthound, then went to a pololu push-button board, now I have killed an add-on board. I could really use some fresh eyes on this. I am hoping all I need is a zener diode between the recharge port and the add on card. Everything was working fine. I got called away for work came home 2 weeks later &, had to charge the batteries. (they seem to drain even when not attached.) turned it on after charging, and had blown a 6-10 amp fet. :confused:

I have been trying to recreate Cannibals Flash on Clash W/O a CF. I cant get my hands on a momentary driver, so I sought an alternative solution. It has proven to be most trying.The only Issue resides between the (momentary switch action) Fet in question, the recharge port, and the Voltage regulator (I chose the dimension engineering one with caps for better voltage regulation to the sound board.) Any help would be appreciated. Thanks -A.
http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo105/ari-jaq_xulden/foc.jpg

RevengeoftheSeth
10-01-2010, 09:01 PM
I've never seen a wiring diagram like this, so naturally... I have lots of questions. But I don't know where to begin.

Can you link the original post that this idea came from? I couldn't find it.

cannibal869
10-02-2010, 12:12 AM
Hey man, what's that white box in the upper right corner? some kind of buckpuck? Or did you mean to put a voltage regulator there? (seems wired a bit funny, BTW)

And what in God's name are those green boards? I'm guessing the upper two on the left are polulu boards? What about the one on the bottom left? The old LED driver from TCSS?

-C

Ari-Jaq Xulden
10-02-2010, 05:48 AM
First thank you guys. I was beginning to wonder if anyone even read my post.

Seth, here is the original link (http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=11189&highlight=pondera&page=2).

Yes Cannibal, those are pololu boards. The one in the top corner is a low volt buck boost. I noticed that the clash led wasn't very bright. When I tested that connection the amps were very low. I use the buck boost to up and regulate the amps. The other is a push button board.

The white box is a voltage regulator from dimension engineering. here (http://www.dimensionengineering.com/DE-SW050.htm) are the specs.

The reason "the wiring looks weird..." I actually drilled spots on the hasbro board to get a 2.2v stable + and -. This is voltage derived after the 5v is fed to the board. It creates a more stable run environment. Also the clash light doesn't come on until the sound board does. (Something I know you haven't overcome... or if you have, haven't brought it to light yet - heh.) The only reason I added the switch is to eliminate the duel color blink upon start-up. However it isn't necessary. Everything works as is. I just keep destroying fets.

cannibal869
10-02-2010, 11:33 AM
Well, like you said, I still haven't been able to overcome that initial clash lighting thing, so I'm afraid I won't be able to help much on this setup - it look way beyond my meager electronics knowledge...:(:confused:

I'd like to see what others have to say though...