PDA

View Full Version : first idea

m270spll
09-28-2010, 11:53 PM
ok here we go havent ordered the parts yet, im going to focus on the hilt first then purchase the electronics later. also i dont have the ability to render an image so if someone could help me out in that regard i would appreciate it greatly. knowing my luck the design will look awful lol.

body style 4 pc wet black sh44
blade holder style 16 pc sun gold
pommel mp5 style 3v2 pc copper jacket metallic
mhs ribbed vgrooved extension pc extreme chrome

this is the idea i have for my first attempt please be honest of what you think

xl97
09-29-2010, 04:42 AM
I think it comes in at around 14+ inches!!

so I hope you prefer LONGER sabers!

I would have used the MHS Builder application to visually see all my parts togehter in a saber formation...and see if you like it yourself.

ecko
09-29-2010, 06:47 AM
Is this what you were thinking of?

Rafalema
09-29-2010, 06:48 AM
Awesome design man, my first saber was exactly like that not counting in the main body (was flute on mine) and it was all silver.

These parts are beautiful, and feel excellent in your hand, providing awesome grip.

:cool:

m270spll
09-29-2010, 07:17 AM
first of all thanks guys. i know that the overall length may seem a bit long but like i said thats why im focusing on the hilt first. i might try to find a similar shorter extension and btw ecko thanks for the visual rep of my saber. i was afraid it would be an awful design, but it actually looks pretty good imho. rafalema thanks for the praise kind of a confidence builder this being the first one i will build. keep the ideas and opinions coming.

polarcupz
09-30-2010, 01:01 PM
I bought nearly the same parts, and woah was it too big for me(I still have the parts somewhere). You will get to know your size range soon. Personally I can't do too much longer than even 10-11 inches. Others love long hilts. If you want a shorter hilt, get a smaller extention instead of the 7 inch body. That would keep you basic design and make it smaller. Just an idea.:mrgreen:

xl97
09-30-2010, 01:13 PM
I used to use 12" as a default lenght for my sabers... (give or take depending on shroud..etc)

now I find my favorite 'look/feel' is around the 10" +/- mark..

m270spll
09-30-2010, 02:17 PM
well actually what i was thinking was leaving the hilt as is and also constructing a shorter secondary saber kind of a nod to the japanese side of my heritage. the two swords being based on the samurai. just need the shop to come back on line to figure out the configuration for it.

Va Tosh
11-11-2010, 04:07 PM
I think it will be difficult to make matching blades of different sizes using MHS parts as none of these parts are available in a range of lengths which will probably make it look wrong. If your prepared to have the parts shortend and rethreaded it would be really cool but the custom work would be costly.
Consider doing a tanto & O-dachi as well, with a custom 4 tier stand? That would be some project!
I have tried fighting french style in the past and its do-able but when I tried with dueling sabers I found it much easier to use two shorter (initiate) blades; I guess it will just take practise.

Va tosh - I've yet to build my own yet but I have parts on order.