PDA

View Full Version : Removing a MR board from a saber

RevengeoftheSeth
09-28-2010, 06:45 PM
Any suggestions for getting it out of its plastic housing without damaging it?

I looked around but I couldn't find a thread within a reasonable amount of pages.

FenderBender
09-28-2010, 06:54 PM
Which model?

Most times, I just use the hobby razor to cut the seam and then on the open end take my diagonal cutters to split the end at the seam and pull it apart.

I always keep the half the soundboard is in, as it fits in MHS just great and serves the same purpose.

RevengeoftheSeth
09-28-2010, 07:19 PM
I was worried about using my dremel to get it apart because of the close proximity, but I went ahead and dremeled it open, and just like you said, I kept the bottom half intact (and the back 1/4 inch where the back disk is at). I chipped away at it piece by piece until I got it to where I could snap the top part off. I didn't cut all the way through. Just enough to be able to pry it apart.

It was a 2005 Vader ESB.

Skottsaber
09-29-2010, 03:54 AM
I know you got it done, Seth. This is just for information's sake.

Here is what I did.

Firstly I cut off the triagngular tab with the yellow sticker on it.
I put it in my vice and then slowly started going backwards and forwards with the cut off wheel just above the seams. This meant that if I accidentally went too far I wouldn't chop through the board straight away.
If you do this MAKE SURE you cut the side the board DOES NOT screw into, otherwise you are an idiot.
I did this on both sides and then just pulled off what was left of the seams.

This meant I could still have the board screwed into the sled, makes life easier. I was using an anakin board, so I had to sand down that sled a bit to make it fit inside my MHS. But the ease of use was worth it.

RevengeoftheSeth
09-29-2010, 07:33 AM
If you do this MAKE SURE you cut the side the board DOES NOT screw into, otherwise you are an idiot.

I LOL'd ^.^

Yeah, I kept that triangular tab in case I wanted to use the speaker/battery pack in the future. It seems like a pretty good combo. It's good to get other people's way of doing it, so I can perfect my technique next time.

FenderBender
09-29-2010, 09:20 AM
Yeah, I don't use the dremel cause it stinks like poo to cut that stuff, and I can crack 'em open quick like nowadays. It's like eating lobster:D! Now where did I put the drawn butter........

Skottsaber
09-29-2010, 09:22 AM
Thats true with the stink of that plastic. Even through my mask I got tiny bits in my throat, was sore for hours lol.

RevengeoftheSeth
09-29-2010, 01:52 PM
yeah, i don't use the dremel cause it stinks like poo to cut that stuff, and i can crack 'em open quick like nowadays. It's like eating lobster:d! Now where did i put the drawn butter........

lol 8)

jjshumpert
09-29-2010, 02:44 PM
i always used a hot knife, opened up the casings like butter