PDA

View Full Version : My first noob build attempt...go easy on me.

Kodiak
09-25-2010, 01:39 PM
Alright, I think I am just about ready to place my order. I have included a picture of the saber that I have designed. I had a much more elaborate design early on, but it was going to be super expensive to have someone build it and they were super busy and wouldn't be able to get it to me until next year. Also, I kind of wanted to take a stab at building it myself...besides...isn't that what a Jedi is supposed to do? ;)

I am probably not going to order the electronics just yet as I don't really know how to solder and build some of the parts like the crystal chamber. I work at a TV station and the engineers (also big Star Wars fans) have agreed to teach me how to solder. Once I get that down, then I will order the electronics and try to install the battery, sound board, LED Blade parts, and a crystal chamber. Worst case, I guess I can always find a sabersmith to do the electronics for me if I can't do it on my own.

Anyway, here are the parts I plan to order:

$18.00 - MPS Pommel Style 3 v2
$22.50 - MHS Gear
$14.99 - 5" Double Female Threaded Connector
$22.50 - MHS Ribbed Extension V-Grooved
$26.35 - Screw on LED Blade Holder Style 16
$52.50 - Flat Black Powder Coating for 3 Parts (RGR3, B162, GER2)
$29.95 - Activation Box Style 4
$16.50 - DPDT Green Latching Illuminated Switch
$10.00 - MPS Insert Style 12
$0.79 - MPS Clip
$2.50 - Machined Covertec Clip Button
$5.00 - Machine metal Covertec button Flat Service
$0.48 - Three 8-32 x 3/8" Socket Head
$7.50 - Drill & Tap Hole 8-32 in the Blade Holder
$15.00 - Box 4 Mounting Holes
$60.00 - Custom work fees for the crystal chamber slots and the flat spot in the MHS gear section, drill and tap the hole for the Covertec Botton, and the engraving

Can any of you think of anything else I am missing? I will probably add in a few other Allen Wrench screws and a couple of styles of MPS inserts just to have and try out to see which I like better. This should get me a nice looking saber for my costume and then as I save up and learn the wiring and soldering, I can then add to this with the electronics or have someone do it for me.

Let me know what you think of the design and any recommendations. Also...any sabersmiths out there that might be able to quote me doing the electronics...just in case this noob can't figure it out on his own...lol.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c227/KodiakOT/KodiakMHSOrder-1.jpg

Rafalema
09-25-2010, 01:41 PM
Looks good to me! ;-)

Awesome design!

Jedi-Elf
09-25-2010, 03:33 PM
That's a nice looking design! Good luck, and don't worry too much about the soldering. I was able to solder the electronics for my saber successfully on the first try after watching the tutorial on building a saber with the Lux kit and doing some reading. Never soldered before in my life and after only one quick practice I was good to go.

Sunrider
09-26-2010, 09:49 AM
Do not commit to this design until you have figured out how you will do the crystal chamber. That location will not allow the use of the typical designs. I would complete the chamber design first so you know it will work. If you want to be able to duel with it you might take a look at my chambers for basic structure.

Lord Dottore Matto
09-26-2010, 12:24 PM
If I were doing this project, I would build the chamber into the base of the ribbed section so it is semi-modular. This is going to be a nice saber.;)

lectricpharaoh
09-26-2010, 08:47 PM
Alright, I think I am just about ready to place my order. I have included a picture of the saber that I have designed. I had a much more elaborate design early on, but it was going to be super expensive to have someone build it and they were super busy and wouldn't be able to get it to me until next year. Also, I kind of wanted to take a stab at building it myself...besides...isn't that what a Jedi is supposed to do? ;)

I am probably not going to order the electronics just yet as I don't really know how to solder and build some of the parts like the crystal chamber. I work at a TV station and the engineers (also big Star Wars fans) have agreed to teach me how to solder.There are numerous tutorials online. Two good ones are Erv's video tutorial on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOdnGUMi7lQ), and this one here (http://www.epemag.wimborne.co.uk/solderfaq.htm). If you've got some old junk electronics, you can rip them apart to practice soldering and de-soldering without worrying about mucking up something valuable.

As far as the sabre looks so far, it's nice enough. However, have you considered the length? It's very easy to get carried away in the MHS builder, and not realize quite how long the thing is. As it stands, your design is just over 13.5 inches; is this good for you?

Kodiak
09-26-2010, 09:11 PM
As it stands, your design is just over 13.5 inches; is this good for you?

Yeah that's fine. I took that into consideration. My original super fancy build (done without using the MHS) was going to be 15 inches...lol. Also my current prop saber (made of solid aluminum and super heavy) is right around 12 inches long. This only makes the saber a little longer.

Also, my current saber has a D-ring clip in the end of the pommel and this will have a Covertec clip and by positioning it where I have it...it will actually end up hanging lower than my current saber.

Va Tosh
11-11-2010, 03:49 PM
I assume since your switch is illuminated green the saber LED and chamber will be green as well?
Will be intersted in how your chamber turns out, please post ideas as your render is excellent. It may be worth fitting accent LED in yellow inside the chamber to give it some movement?