PDA

View Full Version : Two Boards, One Switch... Help

Outside Enemy
09-23-2010, 08:19 PM
Hello.

I have a strong tendency to write long posts on forums, but being new here, I'm going to try hard to keep my posts short and sweet...

Thanks to the awesome thread (and awesome posters) on the 2010 Hasbro boards in the tutorials section, I was able to come up with the attached wiring diagram.

Here's the question: how would I wire these such that both can be activated via a single momentary switch? I'm assuming that it wouldn't be as easy as wiring the positive/negative leads of the switch to the respective leads of each board. I don't know enough about the boards to make even an educated guess about how to do this.

I know that such things generally aren't advised, but I like to explore my options for my first lightsaber project. Any help would be VERY much appreciated.

(I'm not posting this in the 2010 Hasbro thread as I think that it might be a little far afield for the topic of the thread. Also, it'd be great if the help or advice that will hopefully show up in this thread was topic-searchable)

cardcollector
09-23-2010, 08:23 PM
I haven't done this, so someone with more experience will have to guide you step by step...

But I think that what you need to do is start with a DPST Switch. That will turn on both boards at the same time.

jjshumpert
09-23-2010, 08:33 PM
combine your + and - from the two boards into 2 wires and run that to one switch. i have a staff on the bench right now that is about 3 weeks old that i used that trick on and it seems to be working well so far

Outside Enemy
09-23-2010, 09:28 PM
combine your + and - from the two boards into 2 wires and run that to one switch. i have a staff on the bench right now that is about 3 weeks old that i used that trick on and it seems to be working well so far

Will this work? It would, of course, be great as it's simple. My worry is that connecting the switch circuits on the board will damage the board in some way. I would test it, but I'm still waiting on parts, and I'm afraid to risk damaging things at this stage in the game :p

Lord Dottore Matto
09-23-2010, 09:38 PM
This is indeed what a DPDT switch is for ;)

Outside Enemy
09-23-2010, 10:24 PM
This is indeed what a DPDT switch is for ;)

Ahhh... /google.

switch knowledge++

Thanks!

Lord Dottore Matto
09-24-2010, 09:40 PM
Ahhh... /google.

switch knowledge++

Thanks!

you are welcome and good luck.