PDA

View Full Version : sound with switch in pommel...

darthdan
07-05-2006, 01:53 AM
Greetings all,
I'm a total noob at this, but have read about a thousand pages of tutorials on this forum, so i hope i don't ask a dumb question. Here goes. I am building my first LED saber, and want to have a sound module, but also want to install the power switch and a switch to control only sound, both in the pommel. Any ideas on how to make this work? Is this even possible?
I spose I could just do a recharge port in the pommel and recessed switches farther up, but that still leaves the question of where to place the speaker where your hands wouldn't cover the vent holes. I just want a really clean design with no outward knobs or switches and a switch to control sound only, using corbin's board.

Jedi-Loreen
07-05-2006, 02:36 AM
<font size="3"><font color="blue">You don't have to have the speaker right in the end of the pommel, but you will still need to have some holes in it to let the sound out.

If you have your speaker higher up inside the hilt tube, you end up creating sort of a resonating chamber, which could make the sound a bit louder.

However, putting 2 switches inside the pommel sounds to me like it would be pretty difficult. Maybe one of the other guys might have some ideas for you.</font id="blue"></font id="size3">

In order to see the Light, you must sometimes risk the Dark.

Zhi-don
07-07-2006, 06:57 AM
First up, sound in a saber is not a problem. The only thing you need to decide is what sound board. If you use a Hasbro board, you need a momentary on/off switch for it. If you use an MR board, then you just need a standard on/off. Corbin's board works best with a Hasbro board because of the shock sensor. I prefer the MR boards because I have problems accidentally bumping the switch when fighting. The new switch that I had Tim order for the shop is the best I have found for this. If you bump it when fighting the blade won't wink out like it will with the other pushbuttons. There are plenty of wiring diagrams available here to help you to hook up whatever board you choose.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. We have all been where you are now.

Yeah, Xwing...I know he needs to check the boards first. Remember, it's still hard to find something because of hard large these forums have grown.

Zhi-don Aquintas
XO RL Sunrider Base
Treasurer/Head Instructor
Lightsaber training OCSWS