PDA

View Full Version : a question about making things fit

hrdwarhax
09-20-2010, 01:05 PM
can i get one of the mhs rings and use it between a BH and another peice if i put in a little peice to raise the heat sync up to the right level? cause the only problem i see is that the lens holder wouldnt be pressed up to the blade stop which would make it fall out of place easier and lower some of the light transfer from LED to blade

RevengeoftheSeth
09-20-2010, 01:18 PM
I worry that the durability of the blade holder would be compromised, as well, with fewer threads locking it into place. It would take a few shims and longer screws to keep them in place, I think.

hrdwarhax
09-20-2010, 02:16 PM
i see ur point but my intent is not to put shims in under the led but to put them in under the heat sync around the outside. plus, wouldnt it take up only like 3 or 4 threads? isnt that about the same as using 2 or 3 of the light filters tim sells?

xl97
09-20-2010, 02:17 PM
IMHO.. durability wouldnt be an issue.

its not much threads left out since the trim rings are NOT that wide..

however yes, you would need an 'appropriate shim' to raise up the heatsink..
(try some fender washers with the correct OD..and ID/hole big enough for the heatsink nub to fit through..)

hrdwarhax
09-20-2010, 02:24 PM
IMHO.. durability wouldnt be an issue.

its not much threads left out since the trim rings are NOT that wide..

however yes, you would need an 'appropriate shim' to raise up the heatsink..
(try some fender washers with the correct OD..and ID/hole big enough for the heatsink nub to fit through..)

AH so it should wourk with no problem then :) thanks, im making a saber staff one half at a time and i wanted them to have a little more "character" with some random raised rings in there

Sunrider
09-20-2010, 02:31 PM
Try a steel wavy washer.

hrdwarhax
09-20-2010, 02:32 PM
should i worry about using thermal paste because of the gaps left by the waves?

Jedi-Loreen
09-20-2010, 05:19 PM
You don't use thermal paste on the underside of the heat sink, only on the top, between it and the LED star.

hrdwarhax
09-20-2010, 07:37 PM
i mean to use the whole saber as a heat sync. in case i decide to use a biiig watt :P

o and side Q, has anyone made a saberstaff with chokes in it?

RevengeoftheSeth
09-21-2010, 06:22 AM
The entire saber will still work as a heat sink because of the contact between the copper and aluminum. It's almost unheard of to burn out a 3W LED in an MHS hilt under normal operating conditions with proper sinking.

hrdwarhax
09-21-2010, 07:32 AM
so the contact between the aluminum and copper in the threaded area will be enough, or the steel wont affect it that much

xl97
09-21-2010, 07:49 AM
its fine..

your not changing/doing anything different really.

its just like you had a THICKER heatsink to take up the slack/room from the trim ring...

Jedi-Loreen
09-21-2010, 08:55 AM
Since the heat sink is sandwiched between the blade holder and hilt/extension/choke, that contact is already enough to turn the whole hilt into a giant heat sink.

That's the way the MHS system was designed. ;)

hrdwarhax
09-21-2010, 10:17 AM
ok got it, now any answer about the chokes on a saber staff? does it look ok?

Rafalema
09-21-2010, 10:21 AM
If it looks ok to you, then why not?

hrdwarhax
09-21-2010, 10:23 AM
lol thats the problem, idk if it looks ok or not :P

xl97
09-21-2010, 10:40 AM
build one in the MHS builder..and check it out..

hrdwarhax
09-21-2010, 10:46 AM
yea ive been doing that but untill now i havnt found anything i liked, thanks tho. at first i was going to just use blank extensions and drill my own holes, but i didnt like the look of it, so i used a main body with a choke and i think its good. only question now is if it will be long enough for batttery and sound in each half.