PDA

View Full Version : Valoury MHS/sinktube hybrid

Crystal Chambers
09-14-2010, 08:06 AM
Hey everyone!

After many headaches, mistakes, and a few other saber builds, I'm finally ready to present my first saber....

Valoury

For a first build I bit off more then I could chew. Lacking the patience to finish it, I moved on to learn from other builds knowing I could finish it later....well later has finally arrived! I found inspiration for this build from many sabers. Mostly the graflex and the Killer Penny. Most of the sinktube "hybridness" of it is inspired by Jaygon's tutorials. I've never seen anyone use the lips on the sinktube the way I did here. With all the resonating space in the choke and top section this saber is soooo loud.
Since I didn't have much experience with a soldering iron I oxidized my tip and ended up burning one of the pads on my US 2.5. Many members came to my aid with great advice which help me salvage the board which now works great.
Thanks guys!:p

Features
modified MHS/sinktube hybrid
BH1 - modified
MHS extension tube cut in half with 1.25" sinktube choke
1.5" brass sinktube overlays
1 - 3.7V li-ion battery with built in recharge port (thanks for the tips LDM)
US 2.5
Blue P4 LED
MHS premium - reverse sound style facing custom choke
Lit pommel
Lit sound vents
34" thick walled trans white blade with 3-4 feet poly-p and 3/4" mirror

Another reason I delayed to post this after finishing, aside from fussing with the killkey, was I wanted to wait till I got the best pics. With weather the way it's been with hurricanes and all I threw this together. Unfortunately I didn't get pictures of the grip sliding to reveal a window in the MHS to the sound board but it's really not a big deal. Just a convenient way to reduce some weight. One thing I would like to improve although I'm just being fussy, is the blade needs more poly-p in it. It's bright and kind of even aside from the base flare but you know how cameras can be.

http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad28/Karentoomuch/Val1.jpg
http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad28/Karentoomuch/Val2.jpg
http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad28/Karentoomuch/Val3.jpg
http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad28/Karentoomuch/Val4.jpg
http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad28/Karentoomuch/Val5.jpg
http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad28/Karentoomuch/Val6.jpg

Lawrs1
09-14-2010, 08:09 AM
That looks great Crystal, I like it alot, another great saber you have there

Rafalema
09-14-2010, 08:12 AM
That is one sweet saber.

The killkey is the only thing that I don't like, the rest of the saber, the layered shrouds, the sinktube cuts, everything..

Nice work. :cool:

Invisas1979
09-14-2010, 08:40 AM
Another goodie there crystal.

I'm starting to feel like I've not done anything in a reallllllly long time, considering you've popped out three this year so far.

Just curious, how were the lips on the shrouds done?

Also why have you left the two upper overlays raised or is that just the camera?

Shadar Al'Niende
09-14-2010, 08:42 AM
I LOVE the killkey, i think that the difficulty you have had with this build gives this saber a sense of "soul" or purpose. This definitely fits with the ArcAngel Armory name, it seems to me almost one of those "heavenly" sabers wielded by a Jedi Angel :D

I love the use of parts and find this a truly inspiring saber as well as a pleasure to look at ;)

Jay-gon Jinn
09-14-2010, 08:56 AM
Just curious, how were the lips on the shrouds done?

Looks to me like they were part of the original lip on the brass tailpiece used to make the shroud/sleeves from.

This is a very nice saber, Crystal! Impressive, most impressive!

Crystal Chambers
09-14-2010, 09:04 AM
Thanks guys! Great feedback so far.

Invisas1979- I'm not sure what you mean about the overlays being raised but to give you a better idea of what you're looking at, I used 5 - 6" sinktubes which all had this lip on one end. 2 lips to sandwich the grip section and 3 for the blade holder to cut as the s curve-ish type shroud and the two smaller overlays on top. They're all tight and flush accept how the lip flips.

I did them on a belt sander mounted in a vice upside down and just rolled it around the lip area. Easy way to get a smooth s curve by the way. After that I filed and sanded them a little but aside from rough dremel cuts most of it was just a belt sander.

Edit...Jay-gon answers for me so simply while I type this big description..lol...thanks!

Sunrider
09-14-2010, 09:09 AM
Looks good. I really like the emitter end of the saber. :cool:

Can you tell me why you went with a 32in blade? Kinda short no?

Jay-gon Jinn
09-14-2010, 09:11 AM
Thanks guys! Great feedback so far.

Invisas1979- I'm not sure what you mean about the overlays being raised but to give you a better idea of what you're looking at, I used 5 - 6" sinktubes which all had this lip on one end. 2 lips to sandwich the grip section and 3 for the blade holder to cut as the s curve-ish type shroud and the two smaller overlays on top. They're all tight and flush accept how the lip flips.

I did them on a belt sander mounted in a vice upside down and just rolled it around the lip area. Easy way to get a smooth s curve my the way. After that I filed and sanded them a little but aside from rough dremel cuts most of it was just a belt sander.

Edit...Jay-gon answers for me so simply while I type this big description..lol...thanks!
Your answer is much more in-depth, though! ;)

Knighthammer
09-14-2010, 09:13 AM
Again a very inspiring and well executed saber CC - way to go!

Crystal Chambers
09-14-2010, 09:15 AM
Looks good. I really like the emitter end of the saber. :cool:

Can you tell me why you went with a 32in blade? Kinda short no?

It's actually 34" so I need to correct the first post. Otherwise it's a little short because of the low grip on the hilt.

FenderBender
09-14-2010, 10:07 AM
Just beautiful! Class A work there. Everything flows, has a great overall design, and the details are all there. I like it a LOT.

As far as a short blade, I don't know where this comes from since many REAL swords have a blade less than 32" with the exceptions being great swords like Claymores and the like. Makes things very manuverable and quick. I actually prefer a 34" blade on my personal saber and I'm 6'2".

beggarsoutpost
09-14-2010, 10:15 AM
Fantastic... I really like your style you have a great I for design and for pulling together all the elements you need to put it all together... Love the lips on the overlays....

Jordandau
09-14-2010, 10:28 AM
I really like the layered sink tube lips.

Rhyen Skytracker
09-14-2010, 10:47 AM
A very nice elegant saber you have there. I also prefer shorter blades, like around 32 - 34" dependant on how long the hilt is. I size my blades by holding the hilt at the grip with the blade pointing down and with the blade touching the floor your forearm should be around a 90 degree angle to your upper arm. But that is just the way I do it and I am sure other people measure there blades differently. It the blade is too long it will interfere in some of the spins and dueling. Awesome job on the saber.

Sunrider
09-14-2010, 10:49 AM
As far as a short blade, I don't know where this comes from since many REAL swords have a blade less than 32" with the exceptions being great swords like Claymores and the like. Makes things very manuverable and quick. I actually prefer a 34" blade on my personal saber and I'm 6'2".

It only comes from my own opinion.:p

And these are not (real) metal swords nor heavy.

I do view lightsabers as two handed weapons and to me they don't look OT length without 36 or 38 inches of blade length.;)

ARKM
09-14-2010, 11:08 AM
Nice looking saber. Cool shroud work.

jin starkiller
09-14-2010, 02:30 PM
very good looking saber .....like the use of the overlays their very cool looking

cannibal869
09-14-2010, 02:51 PM
VERY nice job there!! Me likey... a lot...

but *first* saber???:confused:

Crystal Chambers
09-14-2010, 03:53 PM
Thanks!:D

Yeah this was my first saber, but I had some trouble with the sled and electronics shorting out so I put it aside and worked on other sabers till I could come up with a solution. I also tend to have several projects on the go at various stages so that the fun parts of one project will inspire me to work on the areas that are not as enjoyable on another ones. This way when I'm fed up with research or electronics for example I can work on designs and creating hilts.

polarcupz
09-14-2010, 05:32 PM
This saber is beautiful! You have changed the way people are going to look at sink tubes from now on. One question though: Do the sink tube ends at the back of the hilt hurt your hands? The brass ends look like they would hurt.

Crystal Chambers
09-14-2010, 05:34 PM
Thanks! Not at all...the OD isn't much more then the grip section.

Et Kin Evenstar
09-14-2010, 06:56 PM
I'll just add to what others have already said by stating GREAT GOOGLY MOOGLY!

MooseStuff
09-14-2010, 07:58 PM
Those lips really add alot to, i dono how i want to say it, depth of the saber? point is they look great.

Crystal Chambers
09-15-2010, 04:56 AM
It only comes from my own opinion.:p

And these are not (real) metal swords nor heavy.

I do view lightsabers as two handed weapons and to me they don't look OT length without 36 or 38 inches of blade length.;)

I think the OT sabers were 1.5 hand sabers except Obi Won's and Luke's ROTJ. The fighting style in those movies don't use any spins and also I think Luke is kinda shorter so his blades would appear longer then to others. I'm 6' tall myself and 36" is more then enough on any hilt for me. It seems I prefer 32-34" so far depending on the hilt.

cardcollector
09-15-2010, 06:57 AM
That is one nicely done Sinktube/MHS combo. I love the way you achieved the layered look, and the custom kill key.

the thing I dislike is the plain lower grip section. Having a Fluted grips, or even pipe cutter grips would have been better IMO.

Other that that- Well done. You have great graphic art skills too.;)

Crystal Chambers
09-15-2010, 07:11 AM
Thanks! Maybe the diamond plate it too distracting but that grip is MHS sleeve 1. The graphics are just something I whipped up. I'm actually pretty good at illustration and various artistic medium. I'll have to show off some of my artwork eventually. Once I get some unfinished builds out of the way..lol.

Jin Ke
09-15-2010, 07:29 AM
Great job Crystal!!! Beautiful saber, love the cutouts, and the emmiter is killer... :)

Sunrider
09-15-2010, 10:38 AM
I think the OT sabers were 1.5 hand sabers except Obi Won's and Luke's ROTJ. The fighting style in those movies don't use any spins and also I think Luke is kinda shorter so his blades would appear longer then to others. I'm 6' tall myself and 36" is more then enough on any hilt for me. It seems I prefer 32-34" so far depending on the hilt.

Dang I'm only 5'11. My 38" blade feels just right for me I can do spins tho not totally into that. To each his/or her own. :)

Be patient with the electronics and keep the nice sabers coming.

Yama-Blu Kitsu
09-15-2010, 03:14 PM
Crystal..

Very nice! Excellent workmanship on the sink tubes. I know this must have taken a lot of time and patience to create.

I used a blue p4 on my first saber too..you may wanna experiment with a Cree xre led next time. I used it on my last saber (posted it on here awhile back "Rogue's Creed" might be in the MHS forum section) I got it in Royal Blue and I liked it much better. But that's just my opinion>

Shadar Al'Niende
09-15-2010, 06:29 PM
+1 on the Cree XR-E suggestion.

I have found that for some applications the Cree XR-E out-performs the P4. For instance the Blue P4 gives out 38 lumens at 1A, the Cree XR-E gives out 30 at only 350ma with a max drive current at 1A.

Not quite 3x the lumens, but definitely brighter and more efficient at only .5 more for the vf.

Sunrider
09-15-2010, 08:05 PM
May I suggest the SSR90. ;)

Blue is over 100lm at 1500ma. Your sabers deserve it.

Shadar Al'Niende
09-15-2010, 08:24 PM
Yes sunrider, but not everyone has access to the size of a saber that can run a FAN COOLED LED ;) :p

Crystal Chambers
09-16-2010, 05:17 AM
I'm actually really content with the blue P4. Inside in a fully lit room it still looks ok. Also I like the colour. If I was to change it I'd consider Cyan. I have 4 Lux3 cyan bin1s but I'm not about to change it until I test it. The Lux 3 cyans are surpisingly bright for Lux 3 but I doubt they're as bright as the p4. When it comes time to do a royal blue one then I might look into it further. Another thing regarding brightness is I want my Sith enemy to have a near equally bright blade which is not easy. I may have to find a brighter red that the US 2.5 can drive well.

Sunrider
09-16-2010, 06:48 AM
Yes sunrider, but not everyone has access to the size of a saber that can run a FAN COOLED LED

Who said it needed extra cooling at 1 or 2 amps?

Class.... PAY ATTENTION!:rolleyes:

Shadar Al'Niende
09-16-2010, 07:04 AM
D'Oh, thats right...

*facepalm*

RevengeoftheSeth
09-16-2010, 07:04 PM
A lady who uses expert craftsmanship and has that eye for minor detail. We need more of those in the world.

Magnifico!

alreadyRogue
09-16-2010, 08:03 PM
party foul :|:|:|:|

Shadar Al'Niende
09-16-2010, 08:17 PM

Hunh? :confused:

Lord Dottore Matto
09-16-2010, 08:29 PM
(thanks for the tips LDM)

You are welcome CC. I am quite proud of your progress and forsee a great future for you within our community. Well done.

Crystal Chambers
09-17-2010, 04:35 AM

I'm choosing to interpret this as envy for having my ducks in a row..lol
Otherwise I have no idea how to interpret that. You can't please everyone so if that's the case, no big.

So many kind words from new members to those highly respected. I'm very flattered. I've been inspired and learned so much from everyone and hope to do the same in return. It appears I'm on track. Hopefully as I learn more I can pump out even more ambitious builds and find some happy homes for the creations I enjoy bringing life to.:D

infa008
09-17-2010, 07:30 AM
nice saber miss Chambers. How do you exactly like US 2.5? is it a viable sound board. I'm holding out for CF specifically but may get impatient for a gift build.

Crystal Chambers
09-17-2010, 07:43 AM
Thanks. Well I think it's way better then an MR but nothing compares to a CF. I am happy with it though. The swing and clash are pretty good. Way better then MR IMO. The only thing I think MR has over it is jedi and sith sounds where US only has one. The blade shimmer/flicker is better then nothing and it's nice to be able to make some adjustments with the menu. If you do try to get a US make sure it's been tested and has the blue wire. There's been some shady business going on with US so I wouldn't recommend it which is why it's no longer in stock here. I'll leave it at that.

Caine Drathul
09-17-2010, 10:19 PM
How did I miss this? GREAT job! Custom cut brass FTW!

strengthofrage
09-18-2010, 04:20 AM
I'm just catching up here... sorry I missed this one!

Crystal, very VERY well done!!! You have a very elegant eye and a great attention to detail. I will second what LDM has said, your progress is astounding! It feels good to see our hobby progressing through your builds... again, WELL DONE! ;)

Firith Tar
09-18-2010, 05:01 AM
Well this is indeed very impressive... you have included all the elements of a truly great saber...With the combination of chokes and sizing differences, complex and multi layered overlay (without going over the top), elegant emitter with floating ring… with a great contrast of colouring the silver and brass (brass is always class for me)… I do believe you have crafted one if not may favourite custom hilt to date... I think you have changed my ideas of emitter shrouds for all time... I truly hate to take others ideas... yet I love the shroud shape and may need to try something similar with a different blade holder... if you do not mind... also I prefer longer blades 96-97cm (38") I am 183cm (around 5'11" I think) tall

alreadyRogue
09-18-2010, 09:29 AM
Yeah I meant that it was a party foul cuz it was so NICE. Sorry if that wasn't clear :(. Anyway that saber looks great with the lips and the flowing curves.

Darth Midian
09-21-2010, 04:40 PM
Great saber Crystal. I've been out of the loop for a little bit. Great idea on using the lip of the sink tube. Those overlays are awesome.

Crystal Chambers
09-22-2010, 07:23 AM
Yeah I meant that it was a party foul cuz it was so NICE. Sorry if that wasn't clear :(. Anyway that saber looks great with the lips and the flowing curves.

AR- No worries either way, just not an expression I'm not used to and since I googled it it's appears it's meant to be a negative comment like I thought, so it sounds like you used it in the wrong context.

Firith - It seems you really picked up on things that had crossed my mind when I designed and built it. It's not taking so much as appropriating if you put your own twist on it. Like I said it was inspired by the Killer Penny and graflex mostly but still tried to adapt those qualities without looking copied. Also, giving credit is usually good etiquette.

Thanks for all the comments! It makes saber builds even more rewarding to know they're appreciated by more then myself.