PDA

View Full Version : Need any ideas you may have

Tarragon Rill
09-13-2010, 11:10 PM
When I originally came to this site a day or so ago, I was not looking to make a lighted or sound enabled saber. What I was looking for was to make a very "realistic" saber. By that I mean I want the saber to be fairly easy to open (got that down no problem) and I wanted to assemble some innards that were very "realistic" looking. what I wanted was a desk top toy for my office that when people sit down they may pick it up and if they recognize it for what it is, they may be impressed with it as an object of beauty. However on further examination they will realize it opens up and that a fully "functional" light saber is in their hands. Of course it is not real we all know this but I want o make a very believable interior.

However now that I am here and seeing all the lighted and sound enabled sabers I am leaning toward making another lit saber, and putting in sound etc. So if I could get any ideas of how to “disguise” (if possible) the sound boards etc to look like the innards you see in the cutaway diagrams of a light saber in the star wars books etc., while still maintaining the functionality that would be great. Otherwise I may just “seal” a section of the hilt and hide all the sound boards etc in that area while making the rest of the empty space into the aesthetic innards.

What I need is ideas of things that fit inside the hilt, like tube transistors, electric motor armatures, MPP flash bulb sockets etc. that can be assembled into this believable saber innards. I wish to make a crystal chamber etc, as well as fill all available space with hardware to make it as believable as possible. So please if you have ideas of things to use, especially if you have an exact item and where to get it. I would be happy. Any ideas no matter how small it may seem is welcome, as I will need to assemble a fair amount of stuff and the little details can make all the difference.

cardcollector
09-14-2010, 06:30 AM
What you should do is go here...
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=678

Serching Graflex will give you all sorts of chasis designs.

Hope that helps:cool:

Sunrider
09-14-2010, 06:50 AM
For crystal chamber. Parts are detailed throughout the thread.

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=11208

Tarragon Rill
09-14-2010, 09:54 AM
Yes the brass crystal chamber I had seen, very nice. However I had missed all those graflex conversions. Alot of very good stuff there,
the graflex set show some vey good hid the "working" electronics in a realistic package. may have to convert my EL graflex to an LED
and try some of that stuff on mine. I do want to retain the outer apperance however as it is basically true to the movie for now, but
who knows may do a total graflex conversion as well. The graflex holds a soft spot for me, it is by far my favorite saber hilt i have ever
seen. just all the little doodadery that is native to the flash gun make the hilt a very nice design with no modification even.

on to the original idea however of no "working" parts inside my hilt. I have the Vader and Obiwan hilts that are not lit yet, or even
in a MHS hilt that is not "working". I could make one up for this. I still would like ideas like "A maubachi 540S motor armature
might fit inside." this was a an idea a friend of mine had, it sort of sparked the idea of making the realistic innards. To fill a hilt with a
complete non working innards I would need basically 10.5 inches worth of techish looking junk to cobble together to form the insides.
I have seen the disk method used a few itmes here either washers or the lexan disks with brass spacers over a threaded rod to hold
it all together. I will probbaly go this route and use the disks to make transitionals between the motor armatures and other items to
make it seem they all "fit" together in a logical way. So to this end I would like any ideas that peeps have like "Tube transistor
part number xxxxxxxx (wich I think I'll search one out and put inside as it is a great idea as well) fits inside nicely and has alot of cool
interrior junk". I know this is a vague request, as most people make a saber to have light and sound, so nobody thinks of ways to fill
an entire hilt with junk to make it loook real. Most are too busy trying to find a way to get eneugh room in there to fit the light and
sound packages. Very different mind set, but as I said any little ideas will help as if I stack eneugh of it together I'll eventually fill a hilt
with this inert junk, making it seem to be a real nonfunctional lightsaber.

Silver Serpent
09-14-2010, 10:06 AM
Sounds like more of an art piece to me. You may have to start taking apart various gizmos and such while looking for parts and pieces. I know old computers have plenty of interesting parts, hard drives especially.

Here is a link to a wookieepedia pic of Luke's lightsaber. You could possibly use this as a starting point, and look for parts that resemble what you see here.

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20051113041261/starwars/images/9/9a/Lightsaber-cutaway.jpg

It sounds like a fun project. I'd rather have something with lights and sound personally, but good artwork takes many forms.

Tarragon Rill
09-14-2010, 11:32 AM
yes this was oroiginally an idea for a desk toy, a bit of "tactile art" if you will. A conversation piece, 3d puzzle, however you want to think of it. Now if in the process I can make it working..... lol well all the better. But ya, the aesthetic value for this project is far more important than any working sounds or lights. i am also starting a lit/sound project as well

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?p=180987#post180987