PDA

View Full Version : Thermal Switches

RevengeoftheSeth
09-11-2010, 03:58 PM
Found something called a 'thermal switch' today. It's used for rechargeable batteries and cuts off the circuit to the charge port when the batteries get too hot and automatically resets when the batteries cool back down again. Pretty cool basic contraption for safety. Not sure how often PCBs fail, but could be a good backup. They are really small, too.

Does anyone have experience with these?

Ronan
09-11-2010, 06:07 PM
I have used them before. Not for sabers though.

They do just as you say, but careful... they can be temperamental.

acerocket
09-11-2010, 07:27 PM
Most of the Li-ion cells I get have a thermal protection circuit (as well as a charge/discharge/short protection PCB) built in.

RevengeoftheSeth
09-11-2010, 10:06 PM
Yeah, I usually only buy the protected Li-Ions, too.

I guess the bigger question was - does the protection ever fail or is it very infrequent?

Novastar
09-12-2010, 02:02 AM
I've used Li-Ion cells since 2005.

I've never once had a protection cell fail, although I have certainly found ways to "trip" the little cut-off circuits many times over.

I don't imagine the small PCBs will fail any sooner than any other well-taken-care-of circuit board. Short of SMASHING a component on them or leaving them out in the rain, etc. ... I would forsee few problems if any.

The Li-Ion PCB is there to "save yer butt"!! :) And it does so in many ways. :)

RevengeoftheSeth
09-12-2010, 07:05 AM
LOL, ok, good. I guess there is no need for this little doo-dad then.

Sunrider
09-12-2010, 04:19 PM
They are recommended for packs with 4 or more cells. Usually referred to as a poly switch.

RevengeoftheSeth
09-12-2010, 04:26 PM
Even if they have a PCB?