PDA

View Full Version : Am I missing screws to complete my build?

valissa
09-08-2010, 05:48 PM
Hello everyone!
I bought some pieces that I thought were everything I needed to create my first saber from a pipe! I am realizing though that I completly missed the mark on my first order and I wanted to check to make sure I have everything this time around! Instead of going with my own pipe build...I figured it would be easier/cheaper for me to just buy the whole thing here! I already have the blade, and the LED kit, I also have the pipe converter and the covertec clip/belt with 1 screw for that.

I just want to make sure I am not missing anything this time! Like screws to hold the blade into the holder or for the guarded switch. Any insight/input would be AMAZINGLY appreciated!

1 Screw on LED blade holder style 4
1 Pommel style 2
1 Machined button for Covertec clip
1 Hilt style 2 with guarded style switch hole
1 MPS Insert style 7
1 SPST Momentary Guarded switch with blue button
Drill & Tap Hole (8-32)
location: Bottom of the hilt opposite end of the switch hole will be used to attach the covertec clip
1 3/32" Allen wrench

Jedi-Loreen
09-09-2010, 01:55 AM
Are you putting a Hasbro economy sound board in this saber (since you're ordering a pommel insert with sound holes)? If it's not going to have sound, then you need a Latching switch, not a Momentary.

The guarded switches have a nut that goes on the inside of the hilt, they don't use a screw.

You will need a blade retention screw on the blade holder. You can either use a thumb screw, or if you want something less bulky, you can use a set screw, but you will need a 5/64" Allen wrench if you use an 8-32 screw, a 3/32" if you use a 10-32.

You will also need to order a separate drill and tap service for that screw. A blade retention screw needs to go half way up the blade holder, or higher. Higher is better.

I see that you don't have an MPS clip on your list. What method are you going to use to hold the pommel insert in? Some people use hot glue (or some other type of glue if you're sure you're never going to want to take it out), or an O-ring (I don't know what size).

Drill & Tap Hole (8-32)
location: Bottom of the hilt opposite end of the switch hole will be used to attach the covertec clip
1 3/32" Allen wrench Do you mean, the opposite side of the switch hole, not end? Since most people put the end of the hilt with the switch hole up at the blade holder end.

I had a thought after I submitted my post:
This being your first post, have you read this tutorial on building an LED saber using MHS parts? If not, I suggest you do so.

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=6430

I'm asking, because you didn't mention a blade retention screw on your list.

valissa
09-09-2010, 05:11 PM
Are you putting a Hasbro economy sound board in this saber (since you're ordering a pommel insert with sound holes)? If it's not going to have sound, then you need a Latching switch, not a Momentary.

The guarded switches have a nut that goes on the inside of the hilt, they don't use a screw.

You will need a blade retention screw on the blade holder. You can either use a thumb screw, or if you want something less bulky, you can use a set screw, but you will need a 5/64" Allen wrench if you use an 8-32 screw, a 3/32" if you use a 10-32.

You will also need to order a separate drill and tap service for that screw. A blade retention screw needs to go half way up the blade holder, or higher. Higher is better.

I see that you don't have an MPS clip on your list. What method are you going to use to hold the pommel insert in? Some people use hot glue (or some other type of glue if you're sure you're never going to want to take it out), or an O-ring (I don't know what size).

Do you mean, the opposite side of the switch hole, not end? Since most people put the end of the hilt with the switch hole up at the blade holder end.

I had a thought after I submitted my post:
This being your first post, have you read this tutorial on building an LED saber using MHS parts? If not, I suggest you do so.

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=6430

I'm asking, because you didn't mention a blade retention screw on your list.

I am eventually addings sound...but this is my first 'working' saber build, so I am taking the advice I have read on this site and am starting with the basic lighted saber for now. I just thought I would plan ahead a bit! I have no idea which board I am going to eventually get. (secretly I am hoping that the new soundboard will be built by that time so I can just order everything from one place!!) I believe I have a latching switch already (the one that comes with the LED kit) I like the way the momentary switch looks for this saber which is why I picked up. I read that its a little bit longer, so thats why I am going with the whole thing brand new versus a PVC pipe.

I have read through all the tutorials...as well as the majority of this site. I asked about the screws because on the site it says that the blade holder comes with screws. I was unsure if it was the screws for the LED, or screws for the blade! On the tutorial, it just says attach the blade, so I didn't want to read into that the wrong way. I also wasnt sure WHICH screw I would need to get.

Thank you for the notice to get the drill/tap service on the hilt. I had no idea it did not come ready to roll! :p
Is there a particular screw that is rec. for the blade holder? I know you said thumb screw, but the sizes confuse the heck out of me! I have never done something like this and I am hoping I read through enough of this forum and the tutorials to do this right the first time. I am not at all electronics savvy. I am doing my best to understand the lingo here, so I am sorry if I ask silly questions. I am making my way through the forums reading everything I can on this site as well as others, doing the best to educate myself! I REALLY appreciate you help with all of this.

jin starkiller
09-09-2010, 05:20 PM
thumb screw you will need to hold the blade in place in the bladeholder so it doesn't fly out and injure someone

Crystal Chambers
09-09-2010, 05:32 PM
An 8-32 thread screw to be exact, doesn't have to be a thumb screw either you can use a set screw which will be less noticeable but you'll need an allen key to tighten and loosen it.

Also you may want a MPS clip to hold your pommel insert in place unless you have a different method in mind.

Jedi-Loreen
09-09-2010, 11:29 PM
The screws that come with the blade holders are the little nylon screws you see at the bottom of the pic. They are for securing your LED star to the heat sink.

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Assets/ProductImages/171_7127.jpg

valissa
09-10-2010, 12:47 PM
Thank you everyone once again for the immensely helpful suggestions. I went back to my list and I reorganized it based on the suggestions.

Hilt style 1 with guarded style switch hole

Screw on LED blade holder style 4
* Add 3/32" Allen wrench

MPS Pommel style 6

MPS Clip

MPS Insert style 7

8-32 x 3/8" Set Screw

Drill & Tap Hole Drill & Tap Hole (8-32)

Drill & Tap Hole Drill & Tap Hole (8-32)
location: Opposite side of guarded switch hole on Hilt for Covertec clip

Double male with slots (I read that the 3 piece sabers are not long enough for the electrical components, so I thought this would work to extend enough room)

I just have three questions. :confused:
1. are the 8-32 x3/8 screws the appropriate length to be blade holders? Is one enough, or will I need to commission two holes thus needing 2 screws that are shorter? I read that the 8-32 x 1/2" thumb screw is often used as a blade holder, I am not real clear on the differences between screws!

2. For the drill & tap service, is that enough direction as to the blade holder screw? I am not familiar with the integrity of the blade holder and am not sure EXACTLY where the best place would be to create the hole. I would prefer to leave it up to the discretion of the hole maker since they know more than I do regarding best location, :p but don't know the best way to phrase that! Same goes for the covertec clip.

3. Eventually I want to add a sound board to the saber. I am thinking of using the MHS speaker and battery holder now instead of the Pommel and batter pack I received with the LED Kit. Would this battery holder work for the LED kit I already have? Am I correct to understand that I do not need a pommel with this battery holder? Is this battery holder specific to powering the sound board only? I have read a little bit about sound boards, I am not thinking of getting a sound board until a new one is featured here (it is my understanding that the sound board on the site will not longer be available and a new one is under commission).

Wow! maybe more than 3 questions! :) I am still powering through as much of the forum as I can trying to figure out these questions! So if I am being redundant, I apologize. I just haven't read these answers yet in the tutorials. Thanks again! :D

Jedi-Loreen
09-10-2010, 01:42 PM
Where do you plan to put the double male extension with the slots? Those were mainly designed to be use as a crystal chamber. If you are just wanting to add some length to your saber, I wouldn't use that part, I'd just use a double female connector of whatever length you want. Whichever extension you choose, you will need to use the appropriate adapter, because you're either going to have 2 female threads, or 2 male threads together at one spot.

And 8-32 3/8" screw is plenty long for the blade retention screw, more than long enough, actually. I only use a 1/4" set screws on my sabers. A 1/2" thumb screw is actually a bit long for most blade holders and should be cut down so it doesn't stick out too far. Some blade holders are thicker in some areas, which is why you see that length in the Store.

Obviously the blade retentions screw won't go at one of the slots of the blade holder you chose. :p But you still have 4 choices as to which side it can go on. Personally, I like to have my blade retention screws facing me. You can ask Tim to put the heat sink into whatever the blade holder is going to screw onto, and then screw on the blade holder and have him drill the hole where you want it: aligned with the switch, 90 degrees left or right, or opposite side from the switch.

You will also need the 5/64" Allen wrench, if you use the 8-32 set screw, I already told you that. But you need a 9/64 for the screw that holds the Covertec button on. I'm not sure why you're ordering a 3/32". I'd just go buy a set of Allen wrenches, if I were you.

You really need to tell Tim where you want your Covertec button. Decide which side of your saber you want facing out, and how you are going to grab it. I often like to have my button 90 degrees left of where the switch is, with the button mounted just above the pommel threads.

You only need one blade retention screw. It works by pressing the blade against the opposite side of the blade holder, using the entire length of the blade holder for friction to hold it in. It really does work.

If you get the battery/speaker combo now, you will still need the pommel to hold it in. I'm not sure how you expected the battery pack to stay in without one. The speaker doesn't hold it in. The battery holder will power both the sound board and LED.

I get the feeling that you may not be quite sure how the parts all fit together, have you played with the MHS Builder? If you haven't, I really suggest you do, then you can decide better if you want that double male slotted extension, and where you're going to put it. Keep in mind, you'll see whatever is inside it, including the bottom of the heat sink if you use it below the blade holder.

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/mhsbuilder/

That was a lot more than 3 questions, maybe about 12 or so, since some were implied, without a question mark.

valissa
09-10-2010, 02:08 PM
You are quite right! More than 3 questions! I hadn't realized how many it actually was until I saw how many answers had to be given:oops::(. Thank you so very much for your time in answering them.:)

I did use the MHS builder to make the saber, I am aware that its a crystal chamber and have crystals I could put in it for decorative purposes (I ordered them from here). I initially wanted to just use it to extend the pommel for the electronics. On the build I had it in two places, at the top prior to the blade holder, and at the bottom prior to the pommel. I must confess, I have no idea if they will screw in correctly or not:oops:. I am significantly ignorant of male/female parts on these parts, but looking at the pictures I am realizing what you are pointing out, what part would I need to order to make sure this will connect to my pommel? is that an option? would a Double ended male threaded connector give me enough room on its own? or should I also add a Gender Changer or 1.2" Double Female.
I misread the batter pack/speaker description, I thought it indicated that it would screw in like the pommel, thank you for clearing up that mistake!

Jedi-Loreen
09-11-2010, 10:23 AM
I did use the MHS builder to make the saber, I am aware that its a crystal chamber and have crystals I could put in it for decorative purposes (I ordered them from here). I initially wanted to just use it to extend the pommel for the electronics. On the build I had it in two places, at the top prior to the blade holder, and at the bottom prior to the pommel. I must confess, I have no idea if they will screw in correctly or not:oops:. I am significantly ignorant of male/female parts on these parts, but looking at the pictures I am realizing what you are pointing out, what part would I need to order to make sure this will connect to my pommel? is that an option?
If you can't figure out how the parts screw together, you need to go back to the MHS Builder and pay attention to which parts have male, and which have female threads. It's not that hard to figure out if you're paying attention.

If you have 2 male threads next to each other, you'll need a double female connector or extension. Likewise, if you have 2 female threads together, you need a double male connector. Make sense?

I'm not sure why you'd want to put the slotted double male connector at the pommel end, you're going to see the battery holder through the slots.

would a Double ended male threaded connector give me enough room on its own? or should I also add a Gender Changer or 1.2" Double Female.
I misread the batter pack/speaker description, I thought it indicated that it would screw in like the pommel, thank you for clearing up that mistake!
The gender changer and 1.2 double female don't give you any length, they are just connectors/adapters.

Go back to the MHS Builder and select all the parts and look at them closely and play around with fitting them together.

Like this:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b8/JediLoreen/Lightsabers/valissaparts-1.jpg

There are your hilt parts. Above the hilt parts is the double male slotted extension with the 1.2" double female that you would need to connect it to either the pommel or the blade holder.

Below the hilt parts is the 3" double female extension and the double male connector that you would need to connect that to the main hilt body, if you went that route to lengthen your saber.

Once you do this, you will have a better understanding of how the parts fit together which the correct connectors.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go take some aspirin for this headache I seem to have developed.