PDA

View Full Version : Forum Searching Tip

Azryel
09-05-2010, 12:02 AM
As we all know, the search function is an amazing tool, and many people need to learn how to use it a little more. But no matter how familiar you are with searching, there are still a few flaws with the system. Mainly the inability to find strings less than 3 characters long. Well I have a solution for all you boys and girls out there.

I'm not sure how many of you are familiar with the amazing-ness that is Google. There is a very simple feature in Google that allows you to search specific websites. I don't usually do this for most website's, but for forum searching I have found it to be an invaluable tool. So for today's lesson....

If you type in:

site:anywebsitehere.com your query

Google will search only the website you entered for what you are looking for.

So say you were interested in searching the forum here for a PVC saber with a P4 in it. You would type into the Google search box:

site:forums.thecustomsabershop.com PVC P4

And there you go, you are now searching TCSS forum for words that are less than 3 characters long.

Class dismissed. :-D

Rafalema
09-05-2010, 12:12 AM
I remember that there was a thread about this, but I can't seem to find it.

ARKM
09-05-2010, 11:22 AM
Very cool tip Azryel. Thanks.

jin starkiller
09-05-2010, 06:29 PM
well to find stuff less then 3 charecter long isn't hard if you know the trick of how to fool thye system.....say you want pvc you use pvc* use the asterick and it comes up with what you are looking for

cardcollector
09-06-2010, 09:47 PM
I remember that there was a thread about this, but I can't seem to find it.

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=9527

Great advice on the three letter search.

RevengeoftheSeth
09-10-2010, 08:30 PM
EDIT: Spammer was taken care of.