PDA

View Full Version : Foam for LED string... who sells it?

Manbeyond
08-30-2010, 05:37 PM
Does anyone know where to get the foam for LED string sabers like they use in the MR sabers? And where to get the LED strings ?

RevengeoftheSeth
08-30-2010, 06:09 PM
You make the LED strings on your own, and you should try the Makoto-style LEDs found in the TCSS shop.

I think they cut their own foam, too, but I don't know about that.

xl97
08-30-2010, 06:58 PM
try ebay to buy old blades and the diffuser foam..

Also Eastern57 has made mako style sting blade before.. (and I thought posted on it)..

make a good 'jig' for bending the leds to make yoru ladder.. and then sit back.. and "git-'r'-done".. :)

Manbeyond
08-31-2010, 07:34 AM
Okay... So I make the LED string, but there must be a way to get new foam, or make it. I don't want to get old MR foam everytime. Ant tips??

RevengeoftheSeth
08-31-2010, 08:43 AM
You could go buy foam from a hobby shop, I'm sure.

galen marek
08-31-2010, 09:13 AM
i have some old MR foam that i don't need

Manbeyond
08-31-2010, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the offer on the MR foam, but I am hoping to find new foam. I am trying to avoid having to find old MR parts as they will run out eventually, and I want the LED string to be nice and tight.

eastern57
09-01-2010, 03:16 AM
MR/Hasbro force FX = same/same; they're still being made. There are people who have converted hundreds of sabers... and probably have a lot of those inserts laying around.

I use those foam inserts all the time, and I've made a dozen+ such blades. They're actually perfect for this purpose, and even if the previous owner bashed the hot-crap out of the balde - it's foam, it generally stays in good condition.

I'd been searching for years for a source. The truth [that I've found] is that no one (outside of the manufacturer for hasbro) makes white, polyethylene, foam tubes in those dimensions - they're specially made for Hasbro Force FX lightsabers.

If you want them in bulk, you could commission a company to specially mold them... but IMO, if the discarded ones are there - and in good condition - take em!

Manbeyond
09-01-2010, 05:16 PM
That's great info. I can't seem to find a source for similar foam either. I guess MR/ Hasbro foam is all we got.

Rezolution
03-03-2011, 07:11 AM
Does anyone on here have a couple pieces of diffuser foam they'd be willing to part with? I'm start to construct a few strings and can't find the foam anywhere.

Komakon
03-03-2011, 07:54 AM
Not to sure what type. But a good place to start your search is!

Click click click! (http://uk.alibaba.com/Plastic-Tubes-800510-1.html)

TimeRender
03-03-2011, 10:28 AM
I've bought foam sheet in large rolls at office supply stores. You have to roll it into tubes yourself but it isn't too difficult.

Azmaria Dei
03-03-2011, 04:04 PM
please keep in mind that linking to places that have similar products that Tim sells is not allowed and disrespectful to him.

though i think a general link to that place should be ok...

either way, any hardware store that sells pipe insulation kits should have some - getting it in translucent may be harder though.

Skottsaber
03-03-2011, 11:20 PM
There may also be a thread on another saber forum that may begin with FX where it may or may not be for sale.

But there may not be ;)