PDA

View Full Version : Graflex clamp tabs...cut it off or leave it.

dj2rbo
08-20-2010, 11:54 PM
Quick and maybe stupid question but I apologize because I dont want to waste a perfectly good graflex clamp. Here goes, the four tabs on the i.d. of the graflex when using it on an MHS saber, do you leave it on or leave off. Grinding it off or whatnot. Im trying to determine if people just cut it and then securing it someother way. If so is it just by the lever/screw or something else?? Thanks.

Eomund
08-21-2010, 06:31 AM
On my saber, I drilled holes in the MHS part for the clamp tabs to fit in to. The main reason was that I couldn't ruin the clamp, because I was "borrowing" it from my Graflex. ;)

Caine Drathul
08-21-2010, 06:52 AM
Grind the tabs off.

You need some sort of inner spacer between the clamp and the MHS ext. Most folks used a 1.50" sink tube cut to just under 2", then just bolt said sink tube piece and clamp to said extension with either 6/32 or 8/32 button head screws and you're all set.

dj2rbo
08-21-2010, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the replies!!!

Sairon
08-28-2010, 12:42 PM
Only to echo what is said above and more, instead of bolting the piece of tubing on for the shim to attach your clamp. One can use JB weld to attach the tube, nice and sturdy and no drilling.

Tarragon Rill
09-14-2010, 05:13 AM
Or just have the sinktube not actually be a full circle so it is a bit loose, then the clamp action will tighten it against the MHS part holding it all firmly. I do not have any MHS parts to test this idea on, but the theroy is sound. If the sink tube walls are thick eneugh to make up the space needed.

As for the tabs, if you do not plan to ever use the clamp on a graflex then I would say cut, grind, file the tabs off to make the ID as even as possible to avoid scratching the MHS parts. On a saber I am making i had the idea of using the orings as a spacer under the clamp to fill the gap, and give the clamp something to grip on. not sure if this will work, but it is my current plan untill I get the parts in hand and find it is rubbish. :p