PDA

View Full Version : Two quick questions about 2010 Hasbro boards from a newbie

holloway
08-19-2010, 02:39 PM
Hello everyone, this is my first post. I'm just getting into saber building and I'm going to try not to ask any dumb questions to start.

I read through all 27 pages of the original 2010 Hasbro thread, and I think that's the route I'm going to go for my first saber's sound. I just have one question... I know the boards in each of the 2010 sabers are different physically, but do they have different sounds? I didn't see it answered in the thread and I did a little searching with no luck.

Second question — is the premium speaker on TCSS (or the "deluxe" speaker I've seen in other shops) the absolue best option for a saber speaker? Can you spend a little more and get a more powerful or clearer speaker? Would it even matter with a Hasbro board?

Thanks in advance.

Arkhan
08-19-2010, 02:48 PM
If you spent a lot of time and money researching, could you theoretically find a "better" speaker? Maybe

Could you find one that has been thoroughly tested, fits inside a mount purpose made for TCSS parts, is reasonably priced and easily available? Much less likely.

People who routinely install $400+ audio cards in their sabers tend to use the TCSS Premium speaker. It does justice to their investment.

I'm using the TCSS premium speaker in my current build, with a Hasbro Maul board. I can hear the difference compared to the "mystery" speaker I used with my Hasbro FX Anakin board a couple months ago. Separate from the sounds of the boards, there is just more volume, more bottom end and better clarity.

The TCSS premium speaker helps you get the most out of whatever soundcard you go with.

As to the 2010 ECONOMY soundboards having different sounds, I'm not sure. I bought a couple of the OBI WANs because they seem to be the easiest to wire up.

Rhyen Skytracker
08-19-2010, 02:57 PM
The 2010 economy boards all have the SAME sounds. The 2010 boards sound way better than the older boards but keep in mind that you still have the 30 second auto shut off feature if theswing or clash sensor is not made. As far as speakers, the TCSS is a great speaker to use in sabers. It is hard to find a speaker that fits in a hilt that has an ID of 1.25" and still sounds great, but the TCSS speaker does just that.

cannibal869
08-19-2010, 03:54 PM
Also, FYI the el cheapo green speakers found in the 2010 hasbro electronic lightsabers actually are a close fit in terms of size to the ones listed in the TCSS store - you're basically buying these anyway when you get the hasbro saber...

Works well as an alternative to the ones in the store, but the TCSS ones are higher quality speakers.

(translation - you can use the cheapo ones if you're trying to save $, if it's a padawan saber (and going to get super abused anyway), or if the store is out of stock).

Shadar Al'Niende
08-20-2010, 08:51 AM
Also, FYI the el cheapo green speakers found in the 2010 hasbro electronic lightsabers actually are a close fit in terms of size to the ones listed in the TCSS store - you're basically buying these anyway when you get the hasbro saber...

Works well as an alternative to the ones in the store, but the TCSS ones are higher quality speakers.

(translation - you can use the cheapo ones if you're trying to save $, if it's a padawan saber (and going to get super abused anyway), or if the store is out of stock).

Important to note, those cheapy green speakers do not fit in the same places a premium will, they are larger. (aka pvc builds etc)

cannibal869
08-20-2010, 11:58 AM
Important to note, those cheapy green speakers do not fit in the same places a premium will, they are larger. (aka pvc builds etc)

Huh? Are we talking about the same ones? The 2010 speakers?
Cause to my eye, they're actually a touch smaller in diameter, although a bit thicker front to back...

Shadar Al'Niende
08-20-2010, 12:06 PM
Nope, i was talking about the force action ones... :oops:

i saw the cheap and green speakers and assumed.. my bad.

Rathan
08-20-2010, 12:06 PM
Huh? Are we talking about the same ones? The 2010 speakers?
Cause to my eye, they're actually a touch smaller in diameter, although a bit thicker front to back...

I think he meant that the premium is bigger.

The green ones are about a millimeter wider then the 1" diameter PVC pipes. You can sand them down so they will fit but it is VERY tight. You definitely need a lot of sound holes in front and behind the speaker to get a reasonable amount of sound out of them.

The Premium speaker is definitely the way to go unless you are doing a 1" ID hilt.