PDA

View Full Version : Flexible Metal Tubing?

JediMedic
08-19-2010, 11:21 AM
Anyone thought about employing something liek this for those difficult curved sabers? Just curious

http://www.allproducts.com/metal/blissyih/31-halogen_free.html

Jedi-Loreen
08-19-2010, 12:51 PM
That doesn't look very practical for our purposes. It's going to stay flexible. And I don't think this was meant to have holes drilled in it.

RevengeoftheSeth
08-19-2010, 04:22 PM
I wouldn't use it for a hilt, but I've considered using the 1/4 inch size of ribbed metal flex conduit as a design feature going from the bottom of a choke to the top of a choke at the top of a saber. Take 4 or 5 arranged around the choke area.

JediMedic
08-19-2010, 05:37 PM
Probably wouldnt use it for an entire hilt, but I wonder if once you got it the shape you wanted, if there wouldnt be a way to fix it in that position? Weld it in place or whatnot?

Ronan
08-19-2010, 08:16 PM
Probably wouldnt use it for an entire hilt, but I wonder if once you got it the shape you wanted, if there wouldnt be a way to fix it in that position? Weld it in place or whatnot?

Better off buying a curve peice of having one bent/machined.

RevengeoftheSeth
08-19-2010, 09:19 PM
My local muffler shop will bend metal pipe to any angle I need for like 10 bucks. You could try one in your area for that. Make sure it's a MANDREL BEND. The mandrel bent pipe is on bottom.

http://www.warpspeedperformance.com/huth7.jpg

Ronan
08-20-2010, 08:08 PM
My local muffler shop will bend metal pipe to any angle I need for like 10 bucks. You could try one in your area for that. Make sure it's a MANDREL BEND. The mandrel bent pipe is on bottom.

http://www.warpspeedperformance.com/huth7.jpg

Yupp Mendrel Bends own, i had the whole exhaust system redone on my 02 supercharged mustang by a local shop in NY (when i used to live there).

Cost a pretty penny, but nothing beats custom fit.

jjshumpert
08-20-2010, 08:17 PM
the tubing posted in the original link is most often used that i have seen in exhaust applications, ive used it myself on many occasions. its tough stuff and can handle up to 300 degree vapors, but as jlo said it is and stays very flexible.

RayVader
09-09-2010, 07:33 PM
If you really want to make a bend with normal metal tubing. Fill it with water. Freeze it and then when the water is completely frozen, bend it. It will take some force to bend it and you have to hurry before the ice melts. But because it is solid inside it won't crease. I would do a practice piece first to truely get a feel for doing it this way. Also you usually only get one shot at it before you have to refreeze it. The Ice will crack and break once bent. I've seen it done and it works to make bends without creasing the metal tubing. That's how they make all those bends on French Horns.

RevengeoftheSeth
09-09-2010, 08:23 PM
If you really want to make a bend with normal metal tubing. Fill it with water. Freeze it and then when the water is completely frozen, bend it. It will take some force to bend it and you have to hurry before the ice melts. But because it is solid inside it won't crease. I would do a practice piece first to truely get a feel for doing it this way. Also you usually only get one shot at it before you have to refreeze it. The Ice will crack and break once bent. I've seen it done and it works to make bends without creasing the metal tubing. That's how they make all those bends on French Horns.

As seen on HOW IT'S MADE! ;)