PDA

View Full Version : Premium Speaker not speaking :-?

Dralin
08-18-2010, 08:18 PM
Kinda already already mentioned this on my Obi-Saber post, but figured it'd be more appropriate to do this as it's own thread.

I'm using a MR Obi-wan TFM soundboard, with a
Seoul P4 LED kit.

I have my wires connected correctly according to
very helpful guides provided.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o141/Jay-gon_Jinn/MR%20Sound%20Board%20Pictures/101_5187-1.jpg

I have it all hooked-up as so...

http://dralin.webs.com/images/photo%282%29.JPG
http://dralin.webs.com/images/photo%284%29.JPG

I have it to where the LED lights-ups up now... But no sound coming from the premium speaker. Not even a peep.
If there's any ideas or suggestions, they're very welcome. Thankyou.

Shadar Al'Niende
08-18-2010, 08:42 PM
Maybe it's your elecrtical tape? :rolleyes:

Seriously though... It looks like you have a large blob of solder on your speaker's pos wire. Looks like it shouldn't matter, but otherwise it looks ok to me, so im not sure....

Rhyen Skytracker
08-18-2010, 08:43 PM
Check the solder connection on the board for the speaker wires.

Dralin
08-18-2010, 09:03 PM
hehe yeah, the tap is only a momentary thing till i get it all perfect.

Since that pic has been taken, i've tried redoing the connections and even just doing a basic (hold wires on) method. still nothing.

The board worked fine before when it was just the MR saber. :?

Debating on yanking a speaker from one my hasbro sabers and trying one of them. But not sure if there's anything special to do differently for wiring on that.

It seemed so simple for the premium speaker...

Caine Drathul
08-18-2010, 09:56 PM
Do you have a multimeter? If so, check it with that.....should be at 8ohm or more I believe.

dj2rbo
08-18-2010, 10:02 PM
I dont know if this is related but what happens to my premium speakers is the solder point on the speakers itself comes off. then after that it wont work no more. This happens when I cram everything in. I must've wasted 6 or 7 speakers since starting this hobby.

Lord Dottore Matto
08-18-2010, 10:39 PM
Your speaker has shorted out due to the exceedingly long exposed wire connected to the speaker pads. I am nearly 100% sure that is your problem, but what would I know since I have only installed ~250 of these :lol: Electrical tape= VERY bad form too :shock:(get some heatshrink and heatshrink EVERY connection including where the wires attach to the new speaker. Also cover the connections to the speaker with a thin layer of hotglue).

Jedi-Loreen
08-18-2010, 11:55 PM
That's what I was thinking, when I saw how far back those wires were stripped that are soldered to the speaker.

And, shorten those ridiculously long wires, while you're at it. :p

Also, your pics are too large. The largest allowed here are 800 x 600.

DJMoonbass
08-19-2010, 01:37 AM
if it doesnt fix your problem. connect some wires to your speaker pads and then the other ends of the wire to the + and - of a AA battery. if it makes a popping noise the speaker is good and its your wiring. if no popping noise = you have a bad speaker. (happens to me all the time)

and like others have said. heatshrink, short strips, hot glue, trim excess wire, etc = good wiring habbits.

we need a song for this! something annoying. lol

Jedi-Loreen
08-19-2010, 01:58 AM
There's one "b" in "habits".

They aren't Hobbits. :p

Skottsaber
08-19-2010, 09:22 AM
I might also check that wire splice from the battery to the speaker, you never know lol

Jay-gon Jinn
08-19-2010, 09:40 AM
This is where you need to be soldering to on your speaker:
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o141/Jay-gon_Jinn/Chrome%20Saber%2028/100_7242.jpg
It sounds like you are also overheating the solder pad on the speaker, causing the glue to come loose. Pre-tin the wires, and then the pads on the speaker and then touch the iron to the wire as you touch the wire to the solder on the pad....it should only take a couple of seconds for the connection to be made.

I know this is a little late, too, but for what you've probably spent on speakers now, you could have bought this and saved yourself the hassle:
http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/MHS-speaker-and-battery-holder-P315.aspx

Ronan
08-19-2010, 01:15 PM
JGJ whats that white stuff on your speaker? o.o

Arkhan
08-19-2010, 02:31 PM
sometimes that white stuff is black. It is the glue that holds/protects the wires from the solder tabs to the voice coil.

If you look at one very closely, you may be able to see the two tiny wires embedded in it. Hopefully, better protected than the two on my last premium speaker.

If you use that section of the speaker to PRY the speaker out of the mount, you will get to order a new speaker from TCSS (just got my replacement today)

Ronan
08-19-2010, 10:11 PM
sometimes that white stuff is black. It is the glue that holds/protects the wires from the solder tabs to the voice coil.

If you look at one very closely, you may be able to see the two tiny wires embedded in it. Hopefully, better protected than the two on my last premium speaker.

If you use that section of the speaker to PRY the speaker out of the mount, you will get to order a new speaker from TCSS (just got my replacement today)

:-P hehe

Dralin
08-26-2010, 03:19 PM
Okay, tried the direct battery to speaker test and there wasn't a pop. Which i figured i might have blown it. But I'm keeping it on hand to try again down the road.

Resized the pics to be a bit nicer size. I know they were a bit large... was rushing and using a friend's comp which doesn't have a whole lot to edit with. heh.

Cleaned up the wires a bit. putting on wraps for the solder points instead of the electrical tape. at the moment i was under time and funding constraints. :-?
and still working out the layout for the interior of the electronics and whatnot.

I went ahead and ordered and now received the 2-in-1 battery/speaker.
http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/MH...lder-P315.aspx
(which i should have all along)

Just a question of the wiring for that tough.
There's the 3 (red, black, and brown) wires coming from the board.
And the battery/speaker has those 3 and an additional, I'd say, blue-ish wire.
I was wondering where that one goes, or gerally what the wiring would be like for that setup.
Any info is very appreciated!

And thankyou everyone who's been helping me out and guiding me through everthign. Thankyou!

Ronan
08-26-2010, 04:14 PM
Bad link...

Here's the good one: http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/MHS-speaker-and-battery-holder-P315.aspx

Arkhan
08-26-2010, 04:35 PM
assuming Hasbro FX sound board, which has 3 wires running to the battery speaker:

Red= POWER+ and SPEAKER+
Black=Power-
Brown=Speaker-

Your battery pack has 4 wires

Red=Power+
Black=Power-
Blue=Speaker (+/-)
Green=Speaker (+/-)

so:

Red<->Red+Blue
Black<->black
Brown<->green

Dralin
08-26-2010, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the relink!

It's a MasterReplica soundboard.
So yeah, sounds similar to the other wiring.

Just Y-off the Reds to the blue i guess.
Yeah, it's a green on the pack.
Sorry, i'm a bit color blind. It makes doing wiring loads of fun for me... =\

Skottsaber
08-27-2010, 06:39 AM
It's a MasterReplica soundboard.
So yeah, sounds similar to the other wiring.

They are the exact same thing ;)

sithlordfaust
08-27-2010, 04:33 PM
sometimes the tiny wire that goes from the internal coil in the speaker to its solderpads can break.... quite easily or can become desoldered from the pads if you use to much heat contact when soldering to them. I would also recommend filing a small groove in the speaker mount where the solderpads sit. a time or two when Ive pressed the speaker into the mount.... it has severed those wires