PDA

View Full Version : How to

Viper1
08-18-2010, 07:24 AM
Hi all,

This is my first post and im looking for a bit of advice on a MHS Hilt

Im going to be building A MHS saber based on lukes ROTJ hilt. Im going to be ordering it without the graflex clamp as they are currently out of stock. When i do get around to adding the clamp how do i go about installing a switch into the activation box of the clamp?

Cheers

Simon

Crystal Chambers
08-18-2010, 07:35 AM
The clamps will not be back in stock. If you want a clamp you need to find another graflex part retailer.

If you want a V1, the activation box in the store http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Activation-box-style-1-P354.aspx is really close and more unique since everyone is doing V2s

Otherwise the switch really depends ....Are you're using a soundboard or not? If so what type?

The switch type and how you mount it can really vary. I suggest you research it and find a goal as far as location and switch type. There are a lot of youtube reviews of V2s, V1s and maybe the odd V3.

Viper1
08-18-2010, 04:45 PM
Thank's for that,

I found the activation box shortly after posting this and yes i think your correct its deffinately the way to go as it already has a central hole which im assuming is where the switch needs to go.
In answer to your question, no i'm not intending to have sound in the saber just yet however i'd like to leave enough room in the hilt so as to not rule out installing sound in the future.
Just to give you some more detail these are the parts im considering.

MPS Pommel style 3 v1 or 2
MPS insert style1
4" double female threaded connector,
Ribbed/choke combo
screw on LED holder style 5
Activation box style1
Red card

Obviously i'll need an electrics set but besides that do you think i,ve got everything covered?

DJMoonbass
08-19-2010, 01:40 AM
ask LDM. he knows the secret of installin switches in those clamps. lol ;)

Crystal Chambers
08-19-2010, 04:22 AM
Well you almost got it all hilt wise. Unless you have another way to secure your pommel insert you'll need one of these http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/MPS-Clip--P72.aspx

Have you done any mock-ups like on MHS builder to be sure you have the extension length you want? So handy. I play with it often and experiment with colour and overlays in other programs after.

There a Parts Lists area of the forum to confirm your orders.

When I mentioned different method I mean touch plate activation or lever switch which both require mini tactile mom switches. Theses only work with US and CF soundboards. Otherwise you need a latching switch or a way to change the signal from momentary to latching. For Latching switches you mount a slider switch under the card and slide the card to activate or mount the switch in the side of the box or clamp. So there are several options each with their limitations and methods. I suggest to find what you want in the long term or be prepared for the upgrade needed since some of these methods require a holes in either the card or the box/clamp.