PDA

View Full Version : Blade Holder and all its glory?

VraiConcept
08-15-2010, 10:52 AM
This will be my first saber I'm working on and I just ordered Blade holder in the style of number 13 (along with everything else I'll need) However I'm not sure what type of screw is needed to hold the glorious blade in place after I drill and tap a spot. :rolleyes: any tips please.

Lord Maul
08-15-2010, 11:51 AM
You will need an 8-32 screw. Pick one from the store, nearly all will work. I prefer the headless set screws. Then drill and tap a hole, following my tutorial in General Hilt Building

VraiConcept
08-16-2010, 09:52 PM
:D thank you for pointing me in the right light.

Vlad Doon
08-17-2010, 01:07 PM
:D thank you for pointing me in the right light.

Before drilling, screw the blade holder and mark the location of the hole in the case you don't want it beside other elements of the hilt. It happened to me once, and you can't figure how stupid I feel at the moment

Jedi-Loreen
08-18-2010, 09:25 AM
You also need to drop the heat sink in below the blade holder before you screw it on, this will change how far it screws on and will change the screw alignment.

Skottsaber
08-18-2010, 10:05 AM
J-Lo...
No it won't.

If it did then we'd see threading when we screw our bladeholders down.

Lord Maul
08-18-2010, 10:53 AM
You are wrong. There is always a small gap between the blade holder and other hilt piece when you have the heatsink in. Taking out the heatsink (in my experience, I have had this happen a few times :oops:) will change the alignment ~1/3 of a turn. This is different for each and every heatsink because we're talking about thousandths of inches of difference in each one, which will change the alignment.

Jedi-Loreen
08-18-2010, 11:57 AM
I'm not sure why you're disagreeing with me, Skott. How many MHS sabers have you built?

The threading also doesn't go all the way up, so it's not going to show if there is a small gap between parts that are screwed together.

Strydur
08-18-2010, 12:54 PM
Let me end this argument. Most of the time a heat sink will make a difference in the alignment so always install it first.