PDA

View Full Version : MHS Blade Holder question

Jedi_Knight_Zekk
08-10-2010, 07:29 PM
Does a MHS Blade Holder come with a blade retention screw? Or do I need a
8-32x 1/2" thumb screw for it?

Arkhan
08-10-2010, 07:37 PM
You will need to purchase a screw, drill and tap the hole.

I use 10-32 grub screws. You could use 8-32, lot of folks do.

Depending on your blade holder, there may be a "good place" to put the retention screw, and possibly, a "bad place".

Rhyen Skytracker
08-10-2010, 07:53 PM
You can get Tim to drill and tap the hole for you to. Just look under services in the store for the price.

Jedi-Elf
08-10-2010, 08:58 PM
Excuse the thread hijacking, but this is a related question. Is it a good idea to have more than one blade retention screw for added stability or is one good enough? I am thinking about maybe having three in an equilateral triangle arrangement on my blade holder. Any reasons why this would be a good or bad idea?

jin starkiller
08-10-2010, 09:12 PM
if you are gonna be doing some heavy dueling with a saber i would use 2 usually in same spot one rgt under the other ....that the way ive done it with dueling sabers in the past ...i wouldnt triangle them at all

Shadar Al'Niende
08-10-2010, 09:33 PM
Excuse the thread hijacking, but this is a related question. Is it a good idea to have more than one blade retention screw for added stability or is one good enough? I am thinking about maybe having three in an equilateral triangle arrangement on my blade holder. Any reasons why this would be a good or bad idea?

if you are gonna be doing some heavy dueling with a saber i would use 2 usually in same spot one rgt under the other ....that the way ive done it with dueling sabers in the past ...i wouldnt triangle them at all

One is enough, any more is just excessive.

Skottsaber
08-11-2010, 09:17 AM
The bladeholders are a really snug fit with 1" blades. Unless you swing the saber really hard you won't be able to get the blade out without pulling it out even WITHOUT a screw. 1 is enough ;).

TimeRender
08-11-2010, 10:00 AM
This might seem counter intuitive, but adding more than one screw will actually make the blade LESS secure.

Skottsaber
08-11-2010, 12:39 PM
Oh I get it. Its because you're pushing the blade off of the walls of the bh, i.e it has no support anymore.

Jedi-Loreen
08-11-2010, 12:47 PM
Right. It doesn't have the whole length of the opposite side of the blade holder to get pressed against, like with a single screw. With multiple screws, you've only got the tips of the screws themselves holding the blade.

Two screws, one below the other, is not necessary.

All you need to do is check the tightness of the screw periodically, if you're doing a lot of dueling.

TimeRender
08-11-2010, 02:22 PM
I love it when people just get it!

Jedi_Knight_Zekk
08-11-2010, 02:58 PM
Isn't it?

Jedi-Loreen
08-11-2010, 03:52 PM
How would you know? :rolleyes:

:p

;)

Jedi-Elf
08-11-2010, 07:53 PM
Ok, I get what you are saying about blade stability. I was just thinking of the cosmetic aspects of having three screws arranged around the circumference of the blade holder so that they would be in a triangular pattern when looking "down the barrel" so to speak. Maybe I could just cut two of the screws short so they won't make contact with the blade. Thanks for the answers!

Lord Maul
08-11-2010, 07:59 PM
Ok, I get what you are saying about blade stability. I was just thinking of the cosmetic aspects of having three screws arranged around the circumference of the blade holder so that they would be in a triangular pattern when looking "down the barrel" so to speak. Maybe I could just cut two of the screws short so they won't make contact with the blade. Thanks for the answers!

That's what you should do.