PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know which "Big Yellow Box" sabers are blade holdable?

oobie doobie kedoobie
08-10-2010, 02:07 PM
I used the search feature but I only saw 3 titles pertaining to "big yellow box"

Jedi-Loreen
08-10-2010, 02:16 PM
Since they are meant to be static "belt hanger" sabers, all will need modifications of some sort to hold a blade. I believe at least one is built around a wood dowel.

I would say that you can't do it with Styles I & V, the other ones could be possible, but you have to figure out how, yourself.

I've seen more people do Style VIII with a blade than any of the others.

Crystal Chambers
08-10-2010, 02:18 PM
If you can fit this in one then you should be ok.
http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/125-Sink-tube-LEDBlade-holder--P269.aspx

There are other ways to mount your LED, heatsink and blade but they require more research.

Although, remember that those designs are an example of hardware sabers and how parts can be fitted together so I wouldn't feel I had to stick to the designs they have but use them to design your own hardware saber.

Jedi_Knight_Zekk
08-10-2010, 02:25 PM
like crystal chambers, and j-lo have said. style VIII is the best for a blade and a 1.25" sink tube adapter, you might be able to make a saber if you can fit all the electronics into the hilt. Interesting idea...

oobie doobie kedoobie
08-10-2010, 02:27 PM
ya you definitely can't do it with Style I and V... but i was lookin at trying Style II, III, and VIII

and i'm pretty sure i could slip one of those down in there being as though his sabers are made of 1.25" sink tube

TimeRender
08-10-2010, 02:50 PM
I think styles 2 and 3 both use 1.25 tube as the inner base, which means you can't use any of Tim's parts to finish those sabers without modifying the plans (but modification and customization always sounds like more fun to me anyway).

Style 8 uses a 1.5 tube as the base, which means it will be perfectly compatible with the tube adapters and blade holders that Tim sells in the store.

Edit: Also, Zekk is wrong about the adapter you would need. The 1.25 sink tube adapter is for 1.25 inch sink tube. You will need a 1.5 inch adapter for style 8. The 1.25 inch will not work with styles 2 and 3 without changing the emitters.

Rhyen Skytracker
08-10-2010, 02:55 PM
Here is one I made by using style II as a model. This was my very first saber back in 09/04/08 http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=7956

I have also made some very close to style II too.

http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17

as you can tell, this one was from 2008 too.

oobie doobie kedoobie
08-10-2010, 04:03 PM
WOW Rhyen! that's a killer first saber and TR thanks but i'm thinking about going totally custom with a 1.25 sink tube and buying the adapter for that instead of going off the yellow box designs because i think going totally custom would be easier than having to change those two emitters

Jedi_Knight_Zekk
08-10-2010, 04:52 PM
Wow Wade, great sabers!

oobie doobie kedoobie
08-10-2010, 05:20 PM
Ok yall are proly gonna hate this question but do i really have to have the sink tube blade holder? because i've been looking at the ulrasaber i bought and it looks as though you just put the blade in and tighten the retention screw...there doesn't seem to be anything special just a retention screw put thru pvc holding the blade in

Crystal Chambers
08-10-2010, 05:31 PM
You can make a PVC saber if you like. There are tutorials here on it and several in the gallery. Do a search and you'll find quite bit on it. Jaygon did a tutorial, and Darth Midian has recently started pushing the medium. Havok just posted one in the gallery he made recently

oobie doobie kedoobie
08-10-2010, 05:37 PM
ya i've check up on those but i was kind of set on sink tube just because of how it looks and feels but thanks for the tip

Crystal Chambers
08-10-2010, 05:39 PM
If you're saber has a 1.5"sinktube you can use the 1.5"/MHS adapter with any MHS bladeholder or pommel, etc.

oobie doobie kedoobie
08-10-2010, 05:42 PM
ok cool thanks i was wondering what that was for

Darth Enab
08-11-2010, 02:23 PM
Style II would be good, it's hollow. You could use the 1.25" sink tube blade holder.

Jedi-Loreen
08-11-2010, 02:25 PM
PVC is not good for making blades.

TimeRender
08-11-2010, 02:27 PM
Enab, first of all I'm not sure what part of that was NOT on topic. Secondly, I think it was assumed that the blade would be a standard polycarb blade sold in the store. Thirdly, you didn't really solve the problem of how the blade would be SECURED which is what the conversation had shifted to.

Lord Dottore Matto
08-11-2010, 05:38 PM
1.25" OD sinktube has a) a ~0.0625" thick wall and b) a ~1.125 ID The ID of a BH is ~1.009"...do you see the problems? First one is that the sinktube is a poor candidate to tap a retention screw through since it is so thin. The second problem is that the blade will quite literally flop around inside the sinktube. Any BYB design can be made to hold a blade...you just need to plan ahead. Hope these 'hard' numbers help you in planning your project. Have fun.;)

oobie doobie kedoobie
08-11-2010, 07:39 PM
Yes i definitely understand why that wouldn't work...i figured that the blade would just flop around in there...and those numbers helped me out quite a bit thanks LDM:D

Lord Dottore Matto
08-12-2010, 12:29 AM
Yes i definitely understand why that wouldn't work...i figured that the blade would just flop around in there...and those numbers helped me out quite a bit thanks LDM:D

Cool :mrgreen:

Matt Thorn
08-12-2010, 09:00 AM
So do you actually have a Big Yellow Box hilt in hand that you want to convert? If not, I don't see why you would want to make one to be the base for a working saber when there are so many better options. Just look through the galleries.

I have to confess I had never even heard of Big Yellow Box. They're...quaint. I'm sure they were cutting edge in 2001, but this is 2010, and thanks to Tim, we have the Modular Hilt System to using as a starting point for any kind of saber you can think of.

oobie doobie kedoobie
08-12-2010, 09:04 AM
no i don't have a BYB saber in my hand that's why i started asking about sink tube and then LDM gave me the low down on that so now i'm on to the PVC hilt but thanks everyone for all the help

Silver Serpent
08-12-2010, 11:00 AM
Several months ago I was trying to figure out how to build a couple lightsabers to go with a Jedi costume. Off to Google I went. Typing in "how to build your own lightsaber" lists BYB on the first page. TCSS didn't even show up in the first several pages of search results.

It wasn't until after I asked Google about "custom built lightsabers" (and already started on my BYB hilt) that I even discovered TCSS. The BYB props are rather quaint compared to what we have here, but sometimes Google doesn't send you to the best places first.

With work and imagination though, I'd guess that most of the BYB saber plans could be modified to accept TCSS electronics and blades.

jin starkiller
08-13-2010, 07:17 PM
yes you can modify them ....i've done a style 6 with electronics and a blade holder here from TCSS..it isn't quite finished as of yet ....on back burner till i get some custum wrk from Tim .....
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=11163