PDA

View Full Version : UV Crystal Chamber

RevengeoftheSeth
08-10-2010, 09:21 AM
My next project will include a crystal chamber with a mineral/crystal that glows under UV light. I would like to match it to the color of the blade. I have a few minerals picked out, already. I'm going to keep the rest of the details under wraps until I actually put it into production.

xl97
08-10-2010, 09:31 AM
ok..thanks.

RevengeoftheSeth
08-10-2010, 09:35 AM
ok..thanks.

Smart ass replies are not necessary.

Sunrider
08-10-2010, 09:38 AM
Why use UV? They say it is particularly bad for the eyes.:confused:

RevengeoftheSeth
08-10-2010, 09:40 AM
Why use UV? They say it is particularly bad for the eyes.:confused:

You won't see the UV bulbs directly, but the effect of it bouncing through the crystal and creating the 'neon' effects would be pretty cool looking (at least I hope). And in such small quanities, I don't believe the UV light from a small LED would be any more harmful than what you take in every day from being outside. LEDs work on the UVA wavelengh, which is not harmful and doesn't cause DNA mutations. Those quantities of UV radiation are found in the shorter UVB and UVC spectrums.

Who knows, maybe you will even get some vitamin D production going? lol

xl97
08-10-2010, 09:49 AM
how was it smart ass?

you did what? asked a question? (no) needed help? (no) did ANYTHING? but make a statement about using UV leds. that you want to match. (no)

so.................?

ok thanks for sharing. (probably could have gone in the shoutbox)

the UV led will most likely just be 'blue' and not more purple...

not sure what effect of bouncing your referign to but..it will light up the crystal like every one led does.

RevengeoftheSeth
08-10-2010, 09:58 AM
how was it smart ass?

you did what? asked a question? (no) needed help? (no) did ANYTHING? but make a statement about using UV leds. that you want to match. (no)

so.................?

ok thanks for sharing. (probably could have gone in the shoutbox)

the UV led will most likely just be 'blue' and not more purple...

not sure what effect of bouncing your referign to but..it will light up the crystal like every one led does.

Oh good, more attitude.

Last I checked, I am not required to post a question, ask for help or 'make something' to post on the forums. I was under the impression that this was a place where people could share ideas with one another. And all you are doing is being a sarcastic jerk with nothing to contribute.

That is really messed up that you would go out of your way to treat someone like that for sharing an idea. Do you have nothing better to do?

And, no, the light will not just bounce around in the crystal. Certain minerals will flouresce in UV light. Go look it up.

Darth Xusia
08-10-2010, 10:03 AM
Oh good, more attitude.

Last I checked, I am not required to post a question, ask for help or 'make something' to post on the forums. I was under the impression that this was a place where people could share ideas with one another. And all you are doing is being a sarcastic jerk with nothing to contribute.

That is really messed up that you would go out of your way to treat someone like that for sharing an idea. Do you have nothing better to do?

If the original poster wants to keep it under wraps, then why post anything about it at all? xl97 wasn't being smart about anything. Why are alot of the newer noobs so defensive?

RevengeoftheSeth
08-10-2010, 10:49 AM
I was simply sharing an idea on a forum that was designed for that exact purpose.

You can't tell me that 'ok..thanks' isn't a smart ass comment. What purpose does it otherwise serve? What is he thanking me for? Did he have something to contribute?

I've been nothing be nice and tried to be helpful to people on these forums. I'm not exactly sure what I have done to deserve disrespect from anyone. But if you are going to gang up on me, then fine. I'll do you all a favor and not post anymore.

Jedi-Loreen
08-10-2010, 10:53 AM
Please, both of you

CHILL OUT

Thanks

Sunrider
08-10-2010, 11:25 AM
Ok chill people.:rolleyes:

Back on topic this is a cool page on the subject.

http://www.galleries.com/minerals/property/fluoresc.htm

If done correctly ie blocking the UV. It could look good.

You may need more than a normal 5mm led for it to be bright tho.

Maybe a couple of these.:)

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4334

RevengeoftheSeth
08-10-2010, 11:49 AM
The first link is what I am looking to do. There are a few 'clear' minerals that flouresce in UV light and I would like to find one for a decent price.

I looked at one of the customer images and it appears that the LED is about 1.5" at the widest point. I might be able to fold down the ears on it and use it as the 'base' of the chamber and have it sit well inside the hilt. I also saw some individual LEDs like the Mokototsai versions in the TCSS store that I like. His LEDs are extremely bright on their own. I might be able to ask Tim if he has a source for some.

I thought about taking an MHS hilt (or sinktube) and cutting a 3 inch chamber and covering the chamber with clear curved acrylic, which I believe will also flouresce at the edges. Depending on what color I can get the mineral to show, I'd like to use a more 'neon' blade color like a lime green or bright purple.

Jedi-Loreen
08-10-2010, 12:02 PM
Uh, you looked at the pic wrong. That's a metric ruler, the LED emitter is 1.5 mm wide. One customer said it was the size of his pinky nail.

I guess you haven't seen a high powered LED in person yet. Those are like what we use here. They wouldn't fit inside an MHS hilt if they were 1 1/2" inches. The star they sit on isn't even that large.

Ronan
08-10-2010, 01:42 PM
I have to ask, does UV LED have a distinct color for people wanting to use them?

The one's i have in my parts bin light up white/light purple and cost 3x the price of a regular LED, is that correct?

RevengeoftheSeth
08-10-2010, 03:00 PM
Uh, you looked at the pic wrong. That's a metric ruler, the LED emitter is 1.5 mm wide. One customer said it was the size of his pinky nail.

I guess you haven't seen a high powered LED in person yet. Those are like what we use here. They wouldn't fit inside an MHS hilt if they were 1 1/2" inches. The star they sit on isn't even that large.

What do you mean I haven't seen a high powered LED in person? I have an entire post dedicated to my saber in the gallery section. ^.^ I'm talking about the extension of the metal 'ears' from the LED base. Not the LED itself. I know it wouldn't fit in an MHS if it was 1.5", that's why I said I would have to fold down the ears. I misread the ruler, but that's all.

Sunrider
08-10-2010, 03:38 PM
Back on topic. Don't forget lasers can light up crystals good too.

These work great with florecent/UV stuff.

http://www.lasersurplusparts.com/shop/product.php?id_product=51

RevengeoftheSeth
08-10-2010, 03:54 PM
I wonder how small of a space a laser could be packed in to... it would possibly make the crystal chamber too long unless it can be removed from the pen-like tube and if I use some cram-fu. I wonder how hot they get?

Shadar Al'Niende
08-10-2010, 06:15 PM
I think you have good idea going Seth, i look forward to seeing more progress made.

And that, is all i have to contribute at the moment since i know nothing about uv leds :(

Sunrider
08-10-2010, 06:35 PM
Yes you can take the pointer apart & those diodes are about 10mm x 10mm with only the diode & heat sink. The driver board is 10 x 20 x 5mm.

RevengeoftheSeth
08-10-2010, 07:10 PM
I think you have good idea going Seth, i look forward to seeing more progress made.

And that, is all i have to contribute at the moment since i know nothing about uv leds :(

Thanks ^.^ I can't wait to get started on it. I have to wait for that doggone payday to roll around first, lol.

Yes you can take the pointer apart & those diodes are about 10mm x 10mm with only the diode & heat sink. The driver board is 10 x 20 x 5mm.

Sounds like you have experience working with laser pointers. Have you done any projects involving them?

Jedi-Loreen
08-10-2010, 10:49 PM
Yes, he has. ;)

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=11208

RevengeoftheSeth
08-11-2010, 03:11 AM
Yes, he has. ;)

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=11208

Oohhh, I saw that one. I must have been too awestruck by it to notice that it said 'green laser'!

That's pretty....