PDA

View Full Version : My first MHS concept...second opinions?

Furrwatt
08-09-2010, 02:44 PM
Hello everyone, this is my first idea. I'm new to this website but not so much to the technological aspect of making these things. Anyone have any feedback or insight for this design?

Thanks- :)

http://s786.photobucket.com/albums/yy144/Furrwatt/?action=view&current=SaberBuilder_render.png

Furrwatt
08-09-2010, 02:51 PM
Also, if i use the Corbin style Battle Blade with this, should i keep the double wrap, or do the quad wrap?

Jedi-Loreen
08-09-2010, 03:00 PM
Welcome.

Please try not to double post. Use the edit button. ;)

I've only used a double wrap of the Corbin film, then I ended up adding some clear gift wrap inside that to even out the lighting in the blade.

I don't know if using a quad wrap would make that unnecessary or not. Maybe someone who's tried the quad wrap will weigh in.

Vlad Doon
08-09-2010, 03:27 PM
Also, if i use the Corbin style Battle Blade with this, should i keep the double wrap, or do the quad wrap?

Are you looking for a central core effect (Corbin film ?). I've tried some different combinations to achieve this effect. I am not really convinced by the quad wrap as the difference with the double is not so relevant. I think you'd better follow Jedi Loren's advice with the gift wrap, but if you're a central core fanatic (like me), another option is to sand a thick walled tube and fill it with gift wrap, I made one and it really pushes the colour toward the edge (though you may loose a bit of brightness).
IMHO, an illuminated switch and a control box would fit great in your design.

RevengeoftheSeth
08-09-2010, 03:38 PM
Are you looking for a central core effect (Corbin film ?). I've tried some different combinations to achieve this effect. I am not really convinced by the quad wrap as the difference with the double is not so relevant. I think you'd better follow Jedi Loren's advice with the gift wrap, but if you're a central core fanatic (like me), another option is to sand a thick walled tube and fill it with gift wrap, I made one and it really pushes the colour toward the edge (though you may loose a bit of brightness).
IMHO, an illuminated switch and a control box would fit great in your design.

I agree about the control box. A design like that screams to be steampunked in my opinion, as well. If you have a rotary tool, an overlay would go great with the streamline design.

Mazaki
08-09-2010, 04:47 PM
http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy144/Furrwatt/SaberBuilder_render.png

For getting started, just get one of these:

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Kits-C16.aspx

Then, get a blade, which it sounds like you've worked out already. That is all you'll need to get a basic saber that lights up.

Here's a tutorial for building a saber with that kit:

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=326

For the blade holder hole to hold the blade in place, Tim can make the threading for you if you add it to your cart in the online store. It's under the "services" tab.

Furrwatt
08-09-2010, 06:28 PM
Sorry about the double post...noobie mistake. (edit button noted.) As for the kit, tutorial, and the overlay, i have taken all into consideration beforehand and I think ill go with the Seoul P4 kit. I have taken electronics/engineering courses the past two years so the drilling and tapping part wont be so bad. And the tutorials here are very helpful :D And thanks for the sanding tip, im trying to get it as bright as possible but with the core affect.

RevengeoftheSeth
08-09-2010, 06:33 PM
Steampunking is essential taking an everyday item and making it look like it came from the turn of the industrial revolution. The long straight design of the MHS parts would allow for a lot of customizing via 'steampunk' overlays. Not everyone likes steampunking and it can be a bit advanced for people new to the hobby.

Here is an example of steampunking a lightsaber.

http://dvice.com/pics/steampunk_lightsaber.jpg

http://mydisguises.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/steampunk-lightsaber-1.jpg

http://28.media.tumblr.com/ntnfzM3pioizvt81jO7ED4pxo1_500.jpg

Furrwatt
08-09-2010, 06:48 PM
Oooh, i like the second one there. :p but i see what you mean. what would be a good way to steampunk this saber tho?

RevengeoftheSeth
08-09-2010, 07:22 PM
The sky is the limit. Personally, I would start with some type of copper (or simulated copper) overlay. I would do a mixture of the emitter from the 3rd saber with the flexible steel conduit, the lever from the 2nd one, and a unique shroud overlay of copper for the grip area.

Crystal Chambers
08-10-2010, 04:27 AM
Brass sinktube is nice for steampunk too. Just google it in an image search and you'll find a variety of steampunked items to draw inspiration from.

For the quad wrap...it makes a nice core but the blade does dim towards the tip a little. We used quad wrap for Demonica. http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=10987&highlight=Demonica The pics I posted are a little brighter then in person so the core is more defined. My Mantis saber has a similar combo of double wrap and clear giftwrap or poly-p for short as Jedi-Loreen mentioned. You don't get much of a core effect with just double wrap IMO but with the clear wrap inside it give a nice film/screen like texture. If you're going steampunk I think some version of film/corbin blade is the way to go.

Furrwatt
08-10-2010, 06:44 PM
Well i think that the steampunk thing is cool, but i think that ill just stick with a simple overlay. mayb 4 my next build....but thanks all for the tips and insight. also, ive considered a rechargeable battery pack 4 this saber. (sorry if im bugging you guys with noob questions) but im curious as to what the best set up for this is. and thanks a ton Mazaki for the kit suggestion and tutorial, its exactly what im looking 4. due to $$ issues im not adding a sound card just yet, but i intend to use a crystal focus v5.

krant28
05-18-2011, 07:58 PM
I'm curious about the rear section of the middle steam punk saber. Is that a part that you machined yourself? I like the look very much.

Tarrell
05-18-2011, 11:28 PM
Brass sinktube is nice for steampunk too. Just google it in an image search and you'll find a variety of steampunked items to draw inspiration from.

For the quad wrap...it makes a nice core but the blade does dim towards the tip a little. We used quad wrap for Demonica. http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=10987&highlight=Demonica The pics I posted are a little brighter then in person so the core is more defined. My Mantis saber has a similar combo of double wrap and clear giftwrap or poly-p for short as Jedi-Loreen mentioned. You don't get much of a core effect with just double wrap IMO but with the clear wrap inside it give a nice film/screen like texture. If you're going steampunk I think some version of film/corbin blade is the way to go.

From what ive seen using old clock internals/ designs looks great for steampunk sabers, kodus on your saber project, steampunk sabers are pretty cool.
PS. Crystal Chambers; Just checked out your Demonica, Loved it.

Jedi-Loreen
05-19-2011, 01:46 AM
I'm curious about the rear section of the middle steam punk saber. Is that a part that you machined yourself? I like the look very much.
Those weren't RevengeoftheSeth's steampunk sabers, they were just pics of sabers that other people have made that he found photos of on the internet. They were examples. ;)

Tahm
05-19-2011, 02:10 AM
Well it's been a while since I put in my $0.02 but here goes. I like the design it has similarities to the one I'm making for the wife. The adapter towards the pommel will give you a lot of extra space especially if you plan to upgrade to sound later (personally it looks a little too long for my preference but I'm one of the few that like sabers under 12"). I agree about the illuminated switch, some powder coating might be good too.

I love sabers and love steam punk, especially conversions (computers, phones, etc) but for some reason I hate it when they combine, just doesn't feel like Star Wars any more I suppose (like mixing peanut butter and ketchup, I like them both just not together). Anywho, it looks like you're off to a good start, the best advice I can give is to make sure you have your design down pack before ordering (a lot cheaper that way).

Darth Xusia
05-19-2011, 05:16 AM

It is actually a handle from a oxy/acetylene torch.

Jedi-Loreen
05-19-2011, 09:12 AM
Well it's been a while since I put in my $0.02 but here goes. I like the design it has similarities to the one I'm making for the wife. The adapter towards the pommel will give you a lot of extra space especially if you plan to upgrade to sound later (personally it looks a little too long for my preference but I'm one of the few that like sabers under 12"). I agree about the illuminated switch, some powder coating might be good too.

If you are addressing the original poster, he hasn't even logged on here since last November.

Before posting a comment, answer or question to someone in an old thread, it might be a good idea to take a quick look at their profile to see when they last logged on to get an idea if they might even see your post, let alone respond to it.