PDA

View Full Version : crystal chamber & anti-vandal switch

GreeneyedJedi420
08-07-2010, 01:39 PM
im about 90% done with my MHS exposed crystal chamber saber and i just need a little advice on which type of resistor i would have to use for the green ring anti-vandal switch? (the description isn't 100% clear to me) also, i have purchased the 2 recharge port pommel bottoms, 2 LED bezels, a green LED from TCSS, made it all fit together, not my questions are, what is the best way to mount the green acrylic crystal to the 2 LED bezels? super glue? and how do i hold the 2 pomels in place inside the MHS exposed chamber? i was thinking maybe 2 O-rings and super glue... unless someone has a more "official" way?? and how exactly do i wire the LED into the wire diagram already set up for the luxeon3 green LED and anti vandal switch, speaker and battery pack?? i have everything i need finish the saber, just need a little advice on how to put all the puzzle pieces together now...

Mazaki
08-07-2010, 08:56 PM
What's the voltage of your battery setup?

GreeneyedJedi420
08-08-2010, 04:42 PM
ummm... not sure?? i have a 4x AA battery pack..... so what voltage would that be??

Jedi-Loreen
08-08-2010, 04:46 PM
It astounds me when people don't know the voltage of a standard alkaline battery. AAA-D, they all have the same voltage.

Go look at one, then you tell us what your voltage is. ;)

RevengeoftheSeth
08-08-2010, 04:49 PM
4x AA Battery Pack is 6v in total. What is the voltage and mA of your LED that you are trying to resistor?

R = (sV -Vf)/I

sV= Supply Voltage which is 6V
Vf= Forward Voltage of the LED (usually 2-3V)
I= Current in Amps (Probably 20-30mA for a small LED)
R= Resistance in Ohms

Don't forget to utilize the resistor chart on the store website.

Jedi-Loreen
08-08-2010, 06:47 PM
Aww, you spoiled it. :neutral: I wanted him to go look at a battery and figure out for himself what the voltage of his battery pack is.

Apparently, too many people just go through life with no more information than just what is says on the packaging of an electronic device when they buy it. "Requires 2AA batteries. Batteries not included".

They never seem to actually read what it usually says on the battery compartment cover, where it generally gives the operating voltage.

RevengeoftheSeth
08-08-2010, 08:20 PM
Aww, you spoiled it. :neutral: I wanted him to go look at a battery and figure out for himself what the voltage of his battery pack is.

Apparently, too many people just go through life with no more information than just what is says on the packaging of an electronic device when they buy it. "Requires 2AA batteries. Batteries not included".

They never seem to actually read what it usually says on the battery compartment cover, where it generally gives the operating voltage.

Sorry ;-) I have a helpful streak in me. I'm sure it'll run out soon enough.

Jedi-Loreen
08-08-2010, 08:23 PM
Sometimes, it's not a bad thing to let people learn something for themselves.

RevengeoftheSeth
08-08-2010, 08:39 PM

As a teacher of young Marines, I definetely agree. It is good to let them learn for themselves. I also know that teaching can be a give and take relationship with your students, as well. By sometimes throwing them a line, you can garner respect instead of just expecting everyone to learn on their own by way of Hard Knocks University. I realize that it is difficult when new people show up every day and the same questions get asked over and over.

The key word in teacher is 'teach'. Otherwise, one becomes just a glorified librarian.

jin starkiller
08-09-2010, 06:28 PM
very true on that note .....i myself am even teaching my oldest son how to make his own lightsaber :)

Ronan
08-09-2010, 07:38 PM

Depends. Some smart old man decided it was good his 16 year old daughter figures out by herself that drinking coffee (or w/e that frozen crap McDonald sells is) + talking on her cell is NOT a good idea while driving her BMW X5.

My motorcycle thought it was a bad idea (so did my back).

Personally, i think its better to spoon feed some people, you would be surprise of the lack of common knowledge their is. It's better they go 'duh' before than after...:rolleyes:

Mazaki
08-10-2010, 05:06 AM
Depends. Some smart old man decided it was good his 16 year old daughter figures out by herself that drinking coffee (or w/e that frozen crap McDonald sells is) + talking on her cell is NOT a good idea while driving her BMW X5.

My motorcycle thought it was a bad idea (so did my back).

Personally, i think its better to spoon feed some people, you would be surprise of the lack of common knowledge their is. It's better they go 'duh' before than after...:rolleyes:

"Why do they call it common sense when so few people have it?"

It's quite true, there are some people who need direction because they can't do anything for themselves... Though that's an entirely seperate issue.

GreeneyedJedi420
08-10-2010, 09:54 PM
ok i know, that a AA battery is 1.5v... so obviously if i have 4 then its 6v total.

wasnt sure if he was asking the individual voltage of the battery or the combined.... the green ring LED on the anti vandal switch is said to have a 3.3v forward @ 20 mA.... so that being the case... how man ohm resistor would i need???

p.s. im not used to working with the thin pins that are on the resistor or the LED for the crystal core... can i get a recommendation on how to connect those thin pins to the power wire please?

dont hate on my for lack of knowledge, i beg of you. its my 1st custom saber and im learning what i can. im not unintelligent, just un-knowledgeable.

i did have a working luxeon 3 saber but with a basic guarded switch and no exposed crystal chamber... im trying to create a stunningly beautiful saber.

something impressive... i just humbly request some guidance.

which any positive advice will be most greatly appreciated....

GreeneyedJedi420
08-10-2010, 10:06 PM
i require guidance on completing the wiring of the anti vandal switch and Makototsai LED for the crystal chamber im constructing.
the Makototsai LED runs at 2.9V-3.5V@30mA, would i need another resistor for that too??

and is a 4x AA battery pack going to be enough to power everything??

inside the Double male with slots extension i have 2 MPS Insert style 6's

i put the Makototsai LED inside a chrome LED bezel and used the 2nd bezel as a dummy just to hold the acrylic green crystal in place. considering using super glue to hold the crystal to the 2 bezels unless someone has a better idea...??

i screwed the 2 chrome bezels (1 with the LED) into the MPS insert style 6

last question would be how to hold that crystal construction in the double male extension with slots without it sliding all around....???

im in search of wisdom from those of you who are experienced in the matter.

i am at the guidance of your will... please help me. i have been working on purchasing the necessary parts for 5 months now... im so anxious to finish, but am being patient so that i might finish it properly.

GreeneyedJedi420
08-11-2010, 09:48 AM
cmon guys... my common sense isn't whats in question here.... i was extremely exhausted from dealing with my 2yr old that hadn't napped all day when i answered about the battery.

i don't wish to get in a debate about common sense. that's not why i posted the thread.

i just need a little advice on how to put the finishing touches on my lightsaber.

my 2yr old sees the saber and starts SCREAMING "JEDI! JEDI!" and the cries because it doesn't make any sound anymore when he turns it on.

besides what specifics i have already given, i thought i'd also throw in that i'm using a hasbro sound board i ripped out of an Obi-Wan ROTS saber when it stopped functioning properly from being beaten up.

(just in case that effects the outcome for any reason)

RevengeoftheSeth
08-11-2010, 11:25 AM
Please don't double/tripple post. Just edit your first post in the series and add to it.

As far as what resistor you require, use the resistor chart on the store main page. You can find it on the bottom left hand side below the product menu.

To connect the wires to the pins, I'm not sure what pins or wires you are talking about specifically, but you should be soldering and using heatshrink to cover up the bare solder and wires. If you use a basic resistor, you should probably clip the long leads to eliminate the need to cover the entire length with heatshrink. You will need either one resistor to control all of your small LEDs in a series (for example, 3 LEDS that require 3V and 20mA, you need to have a resistor that can supply 60mA total to those LEDs behind the resistor), or you will have to resistor them each individually if you don't run them in series. Your best bet is to use the resistor chart and look at the wiring diagrams in this forum.

I believe the hasbro boards require a resistor of some type as well, but don't quote me on that.

You have a lot of reading to do, it seems. All of this has been done before and there are a lot of tutorials on the forums that can help you along.