PDA

View Full Version : question

hrdwarhax
08-06-2010, 07:55 AM
http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Adjustable-LED-driver-P497.aspx

i got this and wired it up, i was happy with everything so i desoldered what i had to to shove ecerything into my hilt. problem came when i had it re wired and was cramming everything in, i pushed too hard and CRUNCH i broke the big black box thing. anyone know what this is so that i may find a new one and fix it?

RevengeoftheSeth
08-06-2010, 08:42 AM
Are you referring to the biggest black chip on the board?

hrdwarhax
08-06-2010, 09:15 AM
im referring the the big black box that has coils inside it, possibly some kind of transformer or something to the left of the dip switches

Sunrider
08-06-2010, 09:33 AM
That is the inductor. I you damaged that you probably ripped the pads off the board. Pic?

hrdwarhax
08-06-2010, 09:36 AM
no, the damage was i broke the casing of it, i didnt think it would matter and it worked at first. one part did come off the board but i soldered that back down, ill throw up a pic ina min,

acerocket
08-06-2010, 09:37 AM
Well, googling DR125-680, I find a Coiltronics DR series High Power Density, High Efficiency, Shielded Inductor, 68uH rated. I found a few suppliers for them online, but the trouble with most of these places (electronic clearing houses that is) is that you have 30-50 dollar minumum purchases. You might find some that will sell a single part, but you will pay more in shipping than the part costs.

You also have to factor in de-solder and re-soldering this piece onto the board. It might require some special equipment. I don't know since I haven't seen one of those boards up close.

There is also the possibility that when this part broke, it may have damaged another component on the board.

In all honesty, you might be better off just buying a new board to begin with.

hrdwarhax
08-06-2010, 10:05 AM
ok, right after i broke it, i tried it and it still worked, well then i hot glued t to keep the rest of it together and shoved it all in again and it still worked, it wasnt till the pololu board came that i had issues, i got it ALL working and was happy with it, my batterys were all good, brightness was good, i was happy with it. i go to charge it . first i turn it off, then i plug in the charger, then i plug the charger into the wall and immediately it flashed then went out, didnt think it was a big deal untill it was charged and i unplugged it. it wouldnt turn on, so i break it all open and my pololu light still works , wverything up to the driver works, i tested by using a spare white led that fired up as normal at the board inputs, at the outputs, nothing. my multimeter is broken tho so i have no readings

hrdwarhax
08-06-2010, 10:12 AM
http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af287/dynasty104/0806001252.jpg

i guess its possible i tripped my protection circut again and im only getting 3.7v instead of my 7.2

Sunrider
08-06-2010, 11:06 AM
I can't tell anything from that pic. Your battery pack should be isolated electrically when charging. Try recharging the pack & start over. It sounds like your driver won't stand up to shocks anymore.

hrdwarhax
08-06-2010, 11:08 AM
will my recharge port not isolate it? afterall it does have the internal normaly closed switch

Sunrider
08-06-2010, 12:12 PM
It can if it uses a kill key but you said you plugged it into the charger & it flashed. It doesn't sound like it's isolated.

hrdwarhax
08-06-2010, 01:26 PM
yes but it was supposed to be, the 3 lead recharge port :O is it possible i attached the leads the wrong way?

hrdwarhax
08-06-2010, 03:26 PM
tried it, that wasnt the problem, it has to be the driver

RevengeoftheSeth
08-06-2010, 05:00 PM
Are you sure it isn't a short on the board itself? Possible that when you cracked it that you popped a lead on the board, too.

hrdwarhax
08-06-2010, 05:37 PM
i see no other damage at all, no solder bridges or anything

RevengeoftheSeth
08-06-2010, 05:40 PM
It may be a microscopic fracture on a lead. If the current arcs over the broken lead you can damage the electronics around it. You need to get a jewlers loop and look very closeley at the leads.

hrdwarhax
08-06-2010, 06:16 PM
this is almost too much work for a hobby lol. if worse comes to worse ill buy a resister. and im pretty sure that it was the tallest thing that was crushed and thats the only reason why it cracked

Sunrider
08-06-2010, 07:30 PM
If only the ferrite shield was damaged it would still work. There must be more damage. Take your time & have patience with cram fu.

hrdwarhax
08-07-2010, 04:13 AM
lol, well before bed last night i did one more test, i teest i SHOULD have started with. im pretty sure my led released the white smoke... :( . i tried just it with some alkalines that i know work and it no work. so i tried all the hilt electronics with a different led that i know works and it is still stopped at the driver