PDA

View Full Version : Something to NOT do whilst using your benchgrinder

Arkhan
08-05-2010, 05:34 PM
Don't reach out with your left hand to adjust the "spark shield" and miss, grabbing the wheel instead.

Strangely enough, the skin on your index finger and thumb are a lot softer than the grinding wheel that is spinning at normal rpms.

Couldn't see bone, but there wasn't a lot left between air and there.

Probably not as stupid as the time I shot my house with an AK-47 I was building, but the dumbest thing I did today, anyway.

This PSA brought to you by the foundation for 10 fingered machinists.

FenderBender
08-05-2010, 05:36 PM
This will be put down on the list right next to "don't grab at swarf on the lathe with bare hands" Its like razor wire.8)

Crystal Chambers
08-05-2010, 05:45 PM
Oh ouch that's aweful!

I think I might have touched it before and nothing happened...not about to try it again.

The worst thing that happened to me so far is a reinforced cut off blade broke and bounced off my safety glasses...no it wasn't on the grinder.

Arkhan
08-05-2010, 05:49 PM
my current eyeglasses have a nice semi-circular cut in them from a piece of 1/2" copper tubing that bounced off the belt sander. I had goggles on, lifted them up to inspect work, decided to touch said work back to the sander for one little milli-squiggen more, and the grinder took it right out of my fingers and threw it into my face at not-insignificant speed.

Glad I wear glasses.

The cut isn't in my direct line of sight, but I should get that lens framed and put next to the piece of shee trock that has the bullet keyholed through it. I keep that one to remind myself that regardless of your familiarity with dangerous tools/weapons, they can and will bite you with zero warning if you become complacent.

Sunrider
08-05-2010, 05:53 PM
Die grinders are bad too. Hold them real tight & keep fingers away or you'll put a notch in your finer like me.:(

Jedi_Knight_Zekk
08-05-2010, 06:59 PM
Belt sanders are the worst. I once took all the skin off my right hand with one of those. All because my little brother grabbed me and scared me.

Archangel
08-07-2010, 01:48 AM
Arkhan, are you in that Kalashnikov collector's club? The only rifle I've ever fired is an M16A2. It's not as clumsy or random as an AK.

Sairon
08-09-2010, 02:19 PM
Arkhan, are you in that Kalashnikov collector's club? The only rifle I've ever fired is an M16A2. It's not as clumsy or random as an AK.

True but not near as powerful. And Kalashknikovs clean better, and can be rebuilt if damaged easier.

Anyways my two cents, reciprocating saw + PVC + hand too close = very nice scar on my thumb.

Arkhan
08-09-2010, 03:11 PM
I don't recall joining any Kalashnikov's collector club.

I used to frequent the guns.net forums, both for Mosin-Nagant and AK afficienados. I've been "off" my gun kick for a few years now but I still have them all. Put a few rounds through my brother's nice 1943 war-production M91/30 a few weeks back.

Vlad Doon
08-09-2010, 03:42 PM
Ouch...I hope you're going well. It seems you've got dangerous hobbies. My soldering burns seem to be nothing compared to this war veterans thread.

$tarkiller
08-09-2010, 05:29 PM
Ha, I was cutting an outline of my Starkiller armor from a trashcan, and I had my finger too close, and the grinding wheel I was using cut down to the bone on my index finger. :sad::sad::sad::sad:

Arkhan
08-09-2010, 05:45 PM
Strong Dremel-fu can often lead you astray.

Did you know that if you spill a significant amount of super-glue on your jeans, you should NOT grab the bottle of cyanoacrilate accelerator spray and "give it a good spritzing".

LAVA IS HOT.

Jedi-Loreen
08-09-2010, 09:38 PM
Agh, why would you do that? Isn't the accelerator a basically a catalyst? Isn't heat released in that sort of reaction? Yikes. :o

Years ago, I was using a wire wheel at work to clean Loctite off the outside of a bearing, putting a lot of pressure against the wheel and my hand slipped, pushing my hand into the wheel. One of the square wires went into the tip of my finger and broke off below the skin.

I was in a lot of pain, and had to get that wire out so I used some alcohol and a flame to sterilize a new X-acto knife blade and the tips of some tweezers and cut an X in my finger and started digging around inside the opening with the tweezers till I could feel the wire, then got hold of it and pulled it out. Then slapped a bandaid on it and went back to work. I thought that was pretty "manly" of me. :lol:

A couple months ago, I was cutting off the end of a too long screw with a heavy duty cut off wheel on my Dremel. The wheel caught in the cut and shattered in my face. My safety glasses did their job, but a big piece of that wheel hit me in the lower lip, giving me a fat lip with a blood blister in the center of the swelling. Maybe it's time to start using a face shield?

I don't know too many other women (if any) who damage themselves while using power tools. :p

Lord Dottore Matto
08-09-2010, 11:04 PM
J-LO that was uber-manly of you. Rock on! Wanna try my lathe? ;)

Crystal Chambers
08-10-2010, 04:59 AM
That's some war story material there! I've been quite lucky myself. The occasional soldering burn or splinter. But I don't recall anything serious.

Arkhan
08-10-2010, 07:06 AM
Superglue is already very reactive with cotton to begin with. You can start a campfire with a cottonball and a tube of superglue.

Add the accelerant to the mix and it cures completely, right NOW.

It was one of those things that seemed like a good idea just long enough for you to do it and realize it was "a bad idea".

I think that like many such accidents and stupid moves, I was either in a hurry or pre-occupied with what I was doing. Tried to deal with another new problem without shifting focus away toward that new problem and poof.

Did you know that those little "wire brush cups" that Dremel sells are NOT meant to be run at 30K rpm? you really should have the variable speed dremel for those. The dang thing pretty much disintegrated as soon as I turned it on. had one of the little wires stuck just in the inside corner of my eyelid. (doh).

And yeah J-L0, that sounds like a classic "tape it and play" moment. Props.

Ingchao
08-10-2010, 10:52 AM
I stopped using the cut off wheel in the dremel , 'cause of too many flying pieces. Now I hold put the bolt/screw in a nut, hold it with a vise grip and use a belt sander to take the screw down to size.

Jedi-Loreen
08-10-2010, 11:09 AM
Well, I don't have access to a belt sander, or I'd use it for the same thing.

Ingchao
08-10-2010, 03:11 PM
I got this 1" belt sander on sale + I had a 20% off coupon, I think I paid ~ $30. It has a real small footprint, too.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-inch-x-30-inch-belt-sander-
2485.html (http://www.harborfreight.com/1-inch-x-30-inch-belt-sander-2485.html)

You can see how small it is in @ 2:18 in LDM's virtual workshop tour:
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=11150

JRD1
08-10-2010, 07:10 PM
We used to have four German Short haired pointers. We lived in a very hot part of CA. and the summer was proving to be really bad. We put a plastic kids pool out back for them but they needed shade, and our trees we planted the previous year was not cutting it. My wife went and bought a nice aluminum and canvass shade (Gazeebo) 250.00, and the next day they had chewed it to shreds... As I go back there to look at the damage one of them is hanging from one of the shreds! I got the hose and doused all three, one got away. Being that I was livid I started disassembly rather ruffly and one of the alluminum tubes poped out of the plastic connecting piece and smacked me right in the face! I had the worst black eye ever and there wasn't even a cool story why!! Damn dogs!! LOL