PDA

View Full Version : Luxeon Driver

RevengeoftheSeth
08-03-2010, 08:04 PM
I was cruising eBay and I saw this driver for the 3w LEDs. Would this be better than a buckpuck?

http://cgi.ebay.com/3w-LED-Driver-MBI6651-based-Luxeon-White-Green-Blue-/230504552763?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35ab24593b

BTW this is my first post here, so I hope this hasn't been brought up already. I didn't see anything when I searched.

Sunrider
08-03-2010, 08:10 PM
Fire extinguisher at the ready. :)

The shop here has way better drivers.

& no that is junk for our proposes. ;)

RevengeoftheSeth
08-03-2010, 08:13 PM
I figured it would be a cheaper alternative to the buckpuck, but better than an in-line resistor. You are probably right, though. Just out of curiosity, what makes it bad? I'm not versed enough in circuit board tech, yet.

sithlordfaust
08-04-2010, 12:04 AM
the first thing I see wrong with it is that its minimum input voltage starts at 9v

though I would be very interested in seeing thermal images of our hobbies driver boards... that one looks like it gets pretty warm. but Im sure at 9v+ most any of our drivers get warm too..... Im looking at you Ultrasound

RevengeoftheSeth
08-05-2010, 02:24 PM
Would a 9v battery work with it?

Sunrider
08-05-2010, 03:31 PM
No. And why would you use one of these?

Jedi-Loreen
08-05-2010, 03:34 PM
Because he doesn't know why a 9V battery isn't good to use in an LED lightsaber?

RevengeoftheSeth
08-05-2010, 03:46 PM
No. And why would you use one of these?

I said why, already. As a cheaper alternative to a buckpuck that is better than an in-line resistor. You keep saying no, but you don't say why. I'm looking for someone to tell me why it is bad, not just 'no'.

RevengeoftheSeth
08-05-2010, 03:47 PM
Because he doesn't know why a 9V battery isn't good to use in an LED lightsaber?

Correct, I have not come across any posts saying why a 9v is bad for a lightsaber. I see 9v attachments sold in the store and when I search for 9v or 9 volt I see nothing. If you could explain, that would be great.

Jedi-Loreen
08-05-2010, 04:18 PM
Those are either for attaching AAA or AA battery pack that have the same snap clip attachment, or they are from the old EL stuff that Tim has gotten rid of most of the other stuff for.

EL sabers could run on 9V batteries.

RevengeoftheSeth
08-05-2010, 04:46 PM
Those are either for attaching AAA or AA battery pack that have the same snap clip attachment, or they are from the old EL stuff that Tim has gotten rid of most of the other stuff for.

EL sabers could run on 9V batteries.

Good to go. Now I know ^.^

Do they burn up the LEDs, then?

Jedi-Loreen
08-05-2010, 05:20 PM
They have crappy run times and don't output as much current as several AA or AAA batteries.

Or the better rechargeable batteries out there.

Sunrider
08-05-2010, 06:23 PM

I was referring to why he was pursuing this driver.

They have crappy run times and don't output as much current as several AA or AAA batteries.

Not to mention they can blow up.

I said why, already. As a cheaper alternative to a buckpuck that is better than an in-line resistor. You keep saying no, but you don't say why. I'm looking for someone to tell me why it is bad, not just 'no'.

It is simpler and easier to answer yes or no. But if you really want to know why here we go.

1. It says it will only do 700ma. This severely restricts what leds you can use.
2. It says 9v min input. When driving a 2.5v load from 10v this thing will likely overheat.
3. It says its 25 x 25 x 12mm. This will barely fit in mhs & drivers at the store use a quarter of that space.
4. This is not a current regulator. The graph shows current changing with voltage.

The only thing I can think this would be good for is if you didn't care about space & you were doing a red tri Rebel setup.

Is that what you wanted to know?

RevengeoftheSeth
08-05-2010, 06:41 PM
Is that what you wanted to know?

That's exactly what I was looking for, thank you.

I'm still new to all this, so I have very limited knowledge about circuit-board electronics.

RuleOfTwo
08-06-2010, 10:38 AM
4. This is not a current regulator. The graph shows current changing with voltage.

It is a current regulator, it's just not a very good one. The graph is just showing the current variation about the mean across the input voltage operational range.

And as it just so happens, I am running a red tri rebel LED setup, but I would not go with this for the reasons Sunrider mentioned, plus the fact that Buckpucks are much better and give you much more control over you input/output.