PDA

View Full Version : Daughter's saber

jin starkiller
07-30-2010, 06:26 PM
ok i am building a pvc saber for my daughter and need a little assistance on how to paint it and also what color to paint the saber ...i know mostly nothing about painting so i am askin for some advice on how to paint this
it still a work in progress

what is in it is
p4 white led
lens holder
5 degree lens
3.3 resistor
4AAA battery holder
purple lens
20 inch blade

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
07-30-2010, 09:18 PM
Krylon makes a line of paints specifically for use on plastic. They make it in gloss, flat, and hammered finish, in every color under the sun. They don't require primer, but you should clean the parts with alcohol to remove any oils from your hands before you paint.

As for what color and finish you should use, that's up to you and your daughter, but flat black with silver accents might look good.

jin starkiller
07-30-2010, 09:37 PM
well she's only 2 and keeps playing with my saber so i figured i build her one her size to play with

Rathan
07-31-2010, 01:32 AM
Krylon makes a line of paints specifically for use on plastic. They make it in gloss, flat, and hammered finish, in every color under the sun. They don't require primer, but you should clean the parts with alcohol to remove any oils from your hands before you paint.

FYI - All the "Plastic" paints take 5-7 days to properly cure and harden.
When they do, it is like a layer of colored plastic.

Skottsaber
07-31-2010, 05:10 AM
Purple lens huh?
Now that's new, could be interesting to compare it to color disks.

jin starkiller
08-01-2010, 06:31 PM
it was a colored lens off a vintage camera that i had ...didn't really have a use for it till now

X
08-01-2010, 07:42 PM

As for what color and finish you should use, that's up to you and your daughter, but flat black with silver accents might look good.

I've used Krylon Fusion on Xbox 360 controllers with an Adhesion promoter (clear primer) and they are solid together. If you want to go with a different color that Krylon doesn't make then you can use adhesion promoter on the bare plastic and paint it with any other paint, I would suggest auto spray with some hand painted lines like Advance Light Weaponry does. The trade off is that with the Krylon Fusion you don't really need a clear coat but anything else I would suggest it.

jin starkiller
08-02-2010, 08:59 PM
ok i got the painting situation under control ....elecrical help ......i am using a p4 in this pvc saber ive read the tutorial on pvc sabers but havent seen anything mentioned about a heat sink .....the tutorial was using a lux 1 though ....do i need to use a heat sink????

X
08-02-2010, 09:54 PM
In short yes. It looks like you've already glued the saber together. If you have get one of these http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Luxeon-star-heatsink--P220.aspx it should fit inside the 1" pvc with no problem, you would just have to either wedge it in between the switch and blade or dill a hole and but a set screw in.

FenderBender
08-03-2010, 05:04 AM
Guys, little trick for stunts that have a 1" ID. A 3/4" copper pipe cap will hold PERFECTLY an LED star and optics assembly AND act as a heatsink. Simply drill two holes in the bottom to feed your wires through and you've got a great little module.

X
08-03-2010, 03:34 PM
Guys, little trick for stunts that have a 1" ID. A 3/4" copper pipe cap will hold PERFECTLY an LED star and optics assembly AND act as a heatsink. Simply drill two holes in the bottom to feed your wires through and you've got a great little module.

Awesome Fender, I might have to use at idea, thanks.

jin starkiller
08-15-2010, 07:03 PM

appreciate that fender .....:)...it worked like a charm

jin starkiller
09-04-2010, 03:56 PM
here are new updated work in progress pics.....painting and weathering done and 3 coats of clear coat for good measure ...next install the electronics probably by mid week