PDA

View Full Version : Question about Retention screw?

Dark AJ
07-29-2010, 09:01 AM
I have all kinds of fancy computer thumb screws (6/32), question is are these big enough for a retention screw?

Specs for my hilt:

MHS blade holder style 10
UltraEdge Blade from Ultra Sabers

Thanks in advance

-Dark AJ

Jedi-Loreen
07-29-2010, 11:04 AM
I don't know, those are kind of small. They aren't going to get as big of a "bite" on the blade as an 8-32 or 10-32.

I'd use more than one, if you use those. Maybe 4 and incorporate them into your design?

cannibal869
07-29-2010, 12:07 PM
The diameter of the ultraedge blade might be a tight fit - I might have gotten this mixed up in my memory banks, but I *think* the Ultraedge is marginally wider than the standard MHS blade holder... you might have to sand down the blade just a smidge to make it fit.

Conversely, the TCSS blades should fit into an Ultrasabers without problem...

And I agree with JL - maybe use at least two to three of the screws as blade retention screws for a little better bite. It also depends if this saber will see heavy dueling or not.

-C

Jedi-Loreen
07-29-2010, 12:46 PM
Yes, the UltraEdge will be slightly larger in diameter. You're going to have to sand it down. I don't know how that's going to look in that particular blade holder. Just do a nice job when you sand it down so it doesn't show so much between the slots.

Or, if you have, or plan to have multiple sabers, by one of Tim's Trans white blades, since it will fit the MHS blade holders without any modifications.