PDA

View Full Version : The crystal chamber for my 1st MHS build.

Darth Midian
07-20-2010, 12:32 PM
Here are pics of the crystal chamber I just finished for my first MHS build. First I want to thank Slothfurnace for the inspiration. Before I saw his chamber, mine was just going to be a crystal between 2 inserts. This chamber consists of a red quartz crystal, 2 # 6 pommel inserts, 2 5mm led holders, Makoto red led, 6-32 threaded rod, brass sheet, brass tubing, knurled nuts, brass acorn nuts, bass string beads (I'm glad I finally found a use for the beads, I've been saving them for a while.), & copper wire. The wires from my main led are going to go through the brass tubing to hook up with the crystal chamber led and the sound board. I'm using the o-rings to hold the brass tubing in place. Please disregard the top screw with hex nut. I was using it help prop it up for pics. Again thank you Slothfurnace for the inspiration.

Lord Dottore Matto
07-20-2010, 12:35 PM
Very aesthetically pleasing. :D

Invisas1979
07-20-2010, 12:37 PM
Great job.

Knew something special would come of your first MHS saber, given the detail of your pvc sabers.

Really looking forward to seeing the saber now.

Darth Midian
07-20-2010, 01:06 PM
Thank you LDM, & Invisas. I'm taking my time with this saber. Its going to be pretty cool when its done. I have 2 MHS parts. The ribbed extension & BH #3. I have to say, I LOVE MHS PARTS!!!:p I should be ordering the rest of my hilt pieces this weekend. I cant wait. Thank you guys again.

ARKM
07-20-2010, 01:19 PM
Nice crystal chamber.

Sunrider
07-20-2010, 04:15 PM
Yes, the radiator looks good. Nice use of pommel inserts. What kind of crystal is it?

cannibal869
07-20-2010, 04:17 PM
Wow good looking stuff there!

Darth Midian
07-20-2010, 05:32 PM
Thank you guys. Sunrider, it's red quartz. I forget what the web address is. I did a google search for red quartz & this is what I found. Thank you.

Crystal Chambers
07-20-2010, 05:36 PM
Much much better! I just finished a chamber this weekend myself but I want to save it to reveal with the saber. Yours looks like a mix of mine and Slothfurnaces. Great job!

HAVOK
07-20-2010, 05:38 PM
dude...... do you have spy cameras in my house....

NICE chamber!!!!, i like the "reactors" looking things at the top!

Darth Midian
07-20-2010, 05:59 PM
Thank you. CC, I thought about waiting, but I couldn't wait to share it. No Havok I don't have any spy cameras. That's funny Dude, thank you.:)

Shadar Al'Niende
07-21-2010, 05:28 PM
love it, would not expect anything less from you. Quick question, did you drill out the MPSI6's or did the 6/32 rod fit through after just some simple threading? Good stuff man!

Darth Midian
07-21-2010, 06:14 PM
Thank you Shadar. I drilled out the inserts so the 6/32 rods would go through. I also had to drill out the Bass string beads.

B5813
07-21-2010, 10:44 PM
I saw that thread on FX saber forum... that man is building the best chamber I've ever seen. In my opinion his even beats Master Yoda's work which is incredible enough.

Crystal Chambers
07-22-2010, 04:27 AM
After building a few sabers, taking your time with a crystal chamber is fun. Nice change of pace.

Darth Midian
07-22-2010, 06:57 AM
You're right Crystal. I'm really enjoying it, since the sabers I've been building have been pvc. MHS parts are awesome, working with brass & aluminun you tend to take your time. If you mess up you just can't cut another piece & sand it in a few minutes. I'm really considering taking a machineing class. I feel like I'm at a disadvantage not owning a lathe or knowing how to operate one. Shadar, I forgot to mention this in my last post. I had to drill out the center hole on the inserts too so the led holder can fit.

Crystal Chambers
07-22-2010, 07:09 AM
Actually for my chassis I got some extra tube and rods so I can just slice through it in a sec, and give it a quick rub on the belt sander. The hardest part is that I had to use a drill press to turn down my discs, and I made the common mistake of making room on the disc for the tubes but not the bolts or washers. fortunately I don't have my sound holes yet so I can just twist it and drill new holes..lol. It's nice to have extra material and not have to wait for another order to replace parts.

a simple chamber can be made in no time. Like an hour or two. But I'd rather take a few weekends if it's going to be opened and fully exposed.

slothfurnace
07-22-2010, 07:19 AM
Wow, that is really looking great!

Please take some more pics, I love that you're using Bass string beads.

I am just very happy to have contributed here!

Darth Midian
07-22-2010, 07:29 AM
Thank you Slothfurnace. I've been playing bass for 20 years, & for some goofy reason I started saving the string beads about 8 years ago. I'm glad I finally have a use for them. They do make the perfect spacer.

Crystal Chambers
07-22-2010, 05:13 PM
I used to put them on my hoop earrings.

Darth Midian
07-23-2010, 06:33 AM
I used to put them on my hoop earrings.

That's funny. The guy who built my custom 6 string makes bracelets with them.:D I just wanted to see how many I could save before I got bored with it.