PDA

View Full Version : Saber Sound, what are my options?

Spiko
07-13-2010, 08:03 PM
So I've decided I want a custom saber. I've spent the past couple days absorbing tons of information on this awesome hobby. I've run across the various sound boards but I can't find anything in stock.

Is there anything in stock anywhere because I've looked and can't find a single one. Crystal Focus, UltraSound, and Saber Sound 1.0 all seem like they would do the job fine but I can't for the life of me figure where to buy them.

Arkhan
07-13-2010, 08:13 PM
Ultrasound board has been discontinued. You can occasionally find them for sale on auction sites, or over in the "for sale section" of fx-sabers.com forums

Crystal Focus boards are produced in small runs, and due to Erv's concentrated awesomeness, they tend to sell out in SECONDS, not hours.

SaberSound, I think you'll find, is not a topic of happiness with most folks round the saber world.

So, as to your options, from cheapest to most expensive (and coincidentally, least awesome, to MOST awesome)

1) Hasbro "clone wars" toy saber (*not* the spring loaded force action saber which sounds like dookie) Roughly $20
2) Hasbro FX sound board pulled from the Master Replica sabers (my current choice) Purchase on ebay, etc. Roughly $60
3) Find an Ultrasound for sale from a 3rd party, used, etc. Roughly $120
4) Find a CF for sale from a 3rd party, used, or get lucky and manage to get one from Erv (Plecter labs) when they are momentarily available. Roughly "GOOD LUCK"

Option 5) Tim here at TCSS is, as far as I know, still working on a soundboard option. He's keeping pretty quiet about it, to avoid getting folks all worked up over something that might end up not happening, etc.

I used to think that a LIGHTSABER was defined by "LIGHT".

I was mistaken. Show a random person a stunt saber that has no sound, but glows, and they'll wonder what it is.

Show a person a saber that has SOUND, and they'll immediately know what it is and want to know where they can get one.

Spiko
07-13-2010, 08:15 PM
Well poop. thats kind of what I figured but I was hoping I was wrong. thank you for your help.

EDIT: At 65 bucks for a Hasbro board I may as well just get the whole thing. I guess I'll just start with that and covert it later. =(

FenderBender
07-13-2010, 08:36 PM
$65 is high for just the board. You can usually find them from $35 to $50. It's hard to get a good working full FX saber for that. They usually fetch from $75-$120 depending on model and if you want one of the discontinued models expect to pay more. At least until the re-releases later this year. Converting an FX is definitley a great way to start in this hobby. Though, nothing beats bringing your own creation to life. This isn't a cheap hobby by any means. I can understand wanting to do things on a budget, but just like anything worth having or doing, you get what you pay for. Sometimes, you don't even GET what you pay for (in terms of Saber Sound, or SaberFarce in general)

cardcollector
07-13-2010, 08:39 PM
You may want to use a Cheapy Hasbro Board. The new ones sound quite nice IMO.

TCSS is currently working on a soundboard. No further info has been released

Spiko
07-13-2010, 09:22 PM
Would anyone be so kind as to direct me to this cheapy Hasbro board? I'm assuming this is a part you harvest from a kids toy right?

Arkhan
07-14-2010, 01:00 AM
You want the "clone wars" ones that come with the lightsaber duel dvd. The Obi-wan is what I picked up, and it worked fine.

You do NOT want the spring-loaded "force action" saber. I've tried those and they sound like pewp.

With the new "2010 Economy" saber board, you need to wire up either a relay or a transitor to power your LED, but there is a nice juicy thread all about that down in the wiring section that has all the necessary info. I used a reed relay from Radio Shack on the one I recently completed.

As to pricing on the Hasbro FX boards, I paid $60 a piece, with free shipping, for the two I've bought on Ebay. Could perhaps have paid less, but I was quite pleased with them, at that price point.

The Hasbro FX boards will drive an LED to approx 1000ma, and as such, some of the extra bits you need with the "2010 Economy", you don't need with the Hasbro FX.

Hopefully, Tim will have an option for us to purchase from him soon-ish, but if not, we'll keep buying our other stuff from him and work out the sound options ourselves I suppose.

cardcollector
07-14-2010, 05:06 AM
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=10288
here ya go:cool:

Skottsaber
07-14-2010, 10:04 AM
1) Hasbro "clone wars" toy saber (*not* the spring loaded force action saber which sounds like dookie) Roughly $20

Just to clarify, a dookie is a dying wookie.
So I think he meant it sounds as bad as a dookie :p

A lightsaber sounds nothing like a dookie.

Spiko
07-21-2010, 02:57 PM
So I picked up the cheapy Obi-wan today. Not what I'd like it to be but it will do until I can get my hands on something better, hopefully a TCSS board sometime in the not too distant future. Thanks for the advise and quick replies.
EDIT: My hilt parts shipped today too! I'm already 165 bucks deep and I don't have a blade or most of my electronics yet. Should be a fun first build! >_<

mongo
07-23-2010, 11:35 PM
I know its taboo in these parts but don't count out the Hyper board as a sound option, it does the job nicely and its only $120.00,not bad if you want good LOUD sound that you can customize.

Lord Dottore Matto
07-24-2010, 01:59 AM
I know its taboo in these parts but don't count out the Hyper board as a sound option, it does the job nicely and its only $120.00,not bad if you want good LOUD sound that you can customize.

Don't forget that you also need an LED driver ;)

Invisas1979
07-24-2010, 08:27 AM
Don't forget that you also need an LED driver ;)

The hyper board doesn't drive the LED!!!

If the hyper board doesn't drive the LED as suggested then $120 bucks isn't as great an option as one thinks, even if you can customize it somewhat.

Until there is a readily available sound option comparable to the MR Force FX or Hasbro FX boards then for ease of use and the fact you don't need drivers, or pucks (unless you want them), i'd try getting those over the cheapie options or more expensive option as mentioned above.

With a premium speaker they're pleanty loud and sound good.

IMO

mongo
07-24-2010, 11:04 PM
As i said the HD card is still an option regardless if it has a LED driver or not,its a sound card {is it not?} as far as MR-HASBRO FX boards ,i know their a staple for building sabers,but the sound of one compared to the HD card,it blows those fx cards away,its at least 20x louder than those boards not to mention Power up to 12v ,customizing sounds,pitch shifting, dynamic swing response,force motor control, volume control,flash on clash,plus the ability to use a MOM or Latching switch, $120 chucks is worth it for a card that does way more than {on-swing-swing-clash-off}-my theory is, if you build it cheaply then you got a cheap a$$ saber.

Lord Dottore Matto
07-25-2010, 01:41 AM
As i said the HD card is still an option regardless if it has a LED driver or not,its a sound card {is it not?} as far as MR-HASBRO FX boards ,i know their a staple for building sabers,but the sound of one compared to the HD card,it blows those fx cards away,its at least 20x louder than those boards not to mention Power up to 12v ,customizing sounds,pitch shifting, dynamic swing response,force motor control, volume control,flash on clash,plus the ability to use a MOM or Latching switch, $120 chucks is worth it for a card that does way more than {on-swing-swing-clash-off}-my theory is, if you build it cheaply then you got a cheap a$$ saber.

LOL, I wasn't sayin' it was a bad choice, only that it needs a driver as well so that raises the cost some. I personally don't care what boards cost, but I know that many folks are not yet aware of how expensive building sabers as a hobby is.;)