PDA

View Full Version : Lightsaber crystal appearance

Sunrider
07-11-2010, 07:43 PM
There are many different kinds of lightsaber crystals in the SW universe. Not any crystal can be used. Ones that are able to be used must be infused with the force and aligned properly. This leads me to conclude that a good crystal would be somewhat symmetrical and fairly free of imperfections. Also would a primary crystal be different than a secondary.

Please post opinions and reasoning behind what you think better crystals would look like.

ARKM
07-11-2010, 08:26 PM
I believe that they should be symmetrical and clear (or mostly clear) for the same reasons you already mentioned. I also believe that the crystal should be the same color as the blade's LED/s.

However getting real crystals like that could be difficult and expensive for the custom saber prop community so I understand the common usage of imperfect, uncolored/white-ish crystals.

Nineteen
07-11-2010, 08:41 PM
I would have to agree with clear, but I don't see any reason why asymmetrical would be bad.

However getting real crystals like that could be difficult and expensive for the custom saber prop community so I understand the common usage of imperfect, clear crystals.

Indeed. I was browsing eBay for a green quartz, and they ran about $20 for a good looking crystal.

Shadar Al'Niende
07-11-2010, 09:08 PM
If we are talking about what they "ideally" would be, i would say symetrical (due to the proper aligning done by the force to properly channel the energy) and also clear, to avoid any kind of instability. Now, that being said, could we get that in "real life"?

I don't think its as likely :D

Sunrider
07-11-2010, 09:15 PM
Now, that being said, could we get that in "real life"?

With clear quartz, yes. At fair prices too.:)

cannibal869
07-11-2010, 10:32 PM
Theoretically, in the SW universe, I think the "ideal" crystal would be symmetric and clear.

However, for the purposes of using them in our sabers (a la lighted crystal chambers), I would have to argue that imperfections in the crystal are valuable cause they allow light from the LEDs to be reflected towards our eyes. It's also a bit harder to find symmetric quartz crystals.

ARKM
07-11-2010, 11:16 PM
Out of curiosity, how is crystalware made, like nice crystal bowls with bas relief on them? It seem to me as if it's grown in a man-made mold. If that's the case, why can't we get molds in symmetrical geometric shapes and grow our own?

dj2rbo
07-12-2010, 12:00 AM
You guys ever tried to drill thru a quartz crystal??

Rafalema
07-12-2010, 01:29 AM
I believe that a lightsaber crystal is supposed to be Asymmetrical and Imperfect.

It needs more Force powers/knowledge/whatever to aling asymmetrical/imperfect crystal to work in a lightsaber.

But to our means, I think that Symmetrical and imperfect looks the best.

mihunai
07-12-2010, 01:39 AM
Out of curiosity, how is crystalware made, like nice crystal bowls with bas relief on them? It seem to me as if it's grown in a man-made mold. If that's the case, why can't we get molds in symmetrical geometric shapes and grow our own?

Crystal bowls and such, as you say, is not made of actual crystals,
like quartz, they just use a different mixture of glass, i believe.
They did an episode on it on How It's Made on the Discovery Channel once,
you could try to look it up on youtube....
Or i could just give you a link :-P
Tadaa! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF3-2hetTTg)

Anyway, like most other people around here, i too believe a crystal should
ideally be symmetrical, be it faceted like a diamond or a simple hexagon.

As far as the resulting colour of the blade goes, i think it should be the colour
of the power crystal, unless there is a colour crystal involved, which would
'override' the colour of the power crystal.
However, perhaps some degree of colour mixing is possible, resulting
in a blade with a different colour than the crystals themselves...

Bur ofcourse, such pretty crystals, especially natural ones,
are hard to come by and therefore expensive, so the rougher
often assymetrical crystals are used.

But they have 2 bonuses:
A: They are not all clear, so light will actually show up on the crystal,
rather than passing straight through.
B: Since they are imperfect, In Universe, they could be
described as unstable, giving off excess heat and thereby
justifying the window of the crystalchamber in the first place.
(a.k.a., you have an excus- i mean, explanation at cons ;) )

mTm

Skottsaber
07-12-2010, 02:18 AM
I say :p to symmetrical crystals.

Symmetrical crystals are (going in canon to illum caves) too rigid. Like they've been forced to grow in a certain shape.

Asymmetrical crystals grow how they want, and seem to me to be more organic and give the saber 'Earth knowledge'.

I have a really cool crystal, but its impossible to take pictures of, but I'll try and describe it anyways.

It is short, maybe a bit longer than an inch, and thin, maybe about half an inch at its widest point. It is clear quartz, and has lots of faces.
At the bottom (opposite end of the termination) it has some rock left on it, as if it was pulled from a wall of an Illum cave.

But the best part is, that it has 'circuits' on it. I've never been successful in explaining them, so I made a rough picture.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1237687/TCSS%20Posts/crystal.bmp

Think of a Star Destroyer, and how each layer of penatgonal shapes on it leads upwards, its like that, but much smaller.

So I like to think that it is a crystal that could channel immense energy up into the blade.

Story: I found it at a craft market here in SA. People into Stones may know we have a lot of sillicon around these parts, so Quartz and other gemstones are very common - and cheap :D
So I can get a lot of stones quite cheaply, I think the crystal I was talking about cost me about $0.40 or so.

Crystal Chambers
07-13-2010, 04:44 AM
For purpose of saber building I would have to say symmetrical and imperfect. The shape makes it easier to mount and the imperfections will diffuse light as apposed to it passing through.

In SW universe...I have no clue. I haven't been exposed to much more then the movies.

Good deal Skottsaber! I thought I did well. I got 4 crystals around 1 inch long (some more, some less) from Australia cost me roughly 10$ CAD/USD including shipping. Still waiting for them to get here.

xl97
07-13-2010, 08:42 AM
somewhat symetrical.. and imperfect works great..(it helps diffuse and spread the light when lit up..)

but maybe a more clear/perfect one for JEDI..and more imperfect for SITH? I dont see why not..

as for two crystals.. I think you could also do any way you like..but for myself..

I like an imperfect one on bottom.. (power crystal)..

and a more clear perfect one on top (focusing crystal)

I think focusing crystal could match blade color as wel but other doesnt..

(fit the design, whatever works..)

noslenpar
07-13-2010, 09:42 AM
For purpose of saber building I would have to say symmetrical and imperfect. The shape makes it easier to mount and the imperfections will diffuse light as apposed to it passing through.

In SW universe...I have no clue. I haven't been exposed to much more then the movies.

Exactly, what Crystal Chambers said.

I would also add that I prefer elongated crystals that are about twice as long as they are wide, (kind of like the one in the TCSS logo) as opposed to round crystals.

xl97
07-13-2010, 09:45 AM
sometimes 'space' in a hilt is a/the limiting factor though..

you need to use whatever works in your project...

dbluephoenix
07-14-2010, 04:04 PM
I think the whole point of using a crystal in a lightsaber is another way to express one's individuality. All crystals will have flaws and imperfections, it's just a matter of how small they. For the sake of a lightsaber, the fact that a flaw isn't visible to the naked eye wouldn't necessarily make it easier/better for focusing the energy blade, or attuning it's energy in the force. I think this is another another opportunity to express one's individuality in a saber. If one chooses to use a more raw crystal that is a choice to use something as it naturally occurs. If one chooses to cut and polish, that is either a choice of aesthetics, or an illustration of a choice to bend nature to one's will. If one doesn't have a crystal of any kind at hand, then it makes sense that synthetic (glass or plastic in the case of props) would be the only choice. So all in all, I'd say that for prop building, if it looks awesome when it is lit, then matching it to the star wars universe should be easy.

Sunrider
07-17-2010, 12:32 PM
The opinion on this is more diverse than I would have thought. :)

I know there are more opinions out there.

Onli-Won Kanomi
07-17-2010, 12:50 PM
If one looks at the icon-pictures of saber crystals in KOTOR i.e. Opila or Firkrann etc they are usually asymmetrical and so do many comics portray them so I think it's fairly well established in canon that lightsaber crystals CAN be asymmetrical [though symmetrical ones can exist too]. Imperfections isn't so clear imo. Do imperfections make them unusable in sabers or is perhaps that what the Jedi has to use the Force to 'correct' aligning them to make them useful? Not sure on that at all. But i think its reasonable they could be and since its the imperfections that make them look better in our crystal chambers then imo asymmetrical and imperfect is my story and I'm sticking to it until canon says otherwise.

Umbral Lotus
05-09-2011, 09:44 PM
No one brought alignment into the debate. Sith vs Jedi, or manufactured vs natural rather. I believe a natural crystal, even the best ones you could find on your quest as a young Jedi, would be as symmetrical as one could find, with as few "imperfections" as possible. But as stated, those imperfections are what refract the light for us, making the crystal look purty. In my opinion, I would actually think that imperfections might act like a capacitor of sorts and help build up the energy required for the energy of the blade.

Now a sith (or manufactured jedi) crystal on the other hand should/would (my opinion again) be perfectly symmetrical with even coloration, double terminated, and free from any clouding/imperfections.

I love both a really cloudy crystal with a lot of character, and a perfectly clear crystal with no imperfections. When it comes down to it though, I think the use of either just reflects you the maker of the lightsaber. I for one will use whichever crystal suits the saber, such as a raw and fractured crystal for a weathered and beaten saber that might reflect a fierce warrior, like Mace Windu, or a symmetrical perfect crystal for someone like Obi-Wan...

Tarrell
05-09-2011, 11:29 PM

Good deal Skottsaber! I thought I did well. I got 4 crystals around 1 inch long (some more, some less) from Australia cost me roughly 10$ CAD/USD including shipping. Still waiting for them to get here.

Completely agree, Crystals that are clear, or polished clear dont look natural enough, atleast with the symmetrical it keeps the distinct reconisable shape, and being inperfect keeps that raw harvested appeal. I like to imagine that the jedi or sith has found some crystal, or crystal covern like in KOTOR, and harvested it for themselves.

Borax
05-10-2011, 12:19 AM
I actually like a combination of asymmetrical and symmetrical imperfect, in the thoughts of say a main raw "power" crystal and then a nice symmetrical "focusing" crystal. But to be honest I just like any crystal in a saber as long as it looks like it belongs as in a well thought out build. Shiny things :)

JamoUp
05-10-2011, 05:45 AM
depends on the saber...

Davo
05-10-2011, 06:07 AM
Ah crap...you gotta use the force to align these things? flip I just use hot glue and a good eye.

On another note, I think I remember reading in the "Young Jedi" series that one of the students built a saber from a crystal harvested from a volcano/lava. The crystal had a heat fracture/flaw in it which later caused the saber to mal-function and she lost her arm. So, I'm assuming a flawless crystal is the goal in the SW universe. I, however, prefer the cracks and flaws within the quartz...makes it more interesting to look at IMO.

captain_mills
05-10-2011, 09:56 AM
I would like to see some examples of the crystals y'all have done in the past. That would be neat, IMHO...

Thanks!

Loachri MacTalabh
05-10-2011, 11:12 AM
Think lightsaber crystals should be asymmetrical and imperfect. Theirs not much in nature that is symmetrical or strait. The imperfections spread the light better than than a clear crystal.

mihunai is correct, Most Crystal ware is made in Warterford Ireland. It is consists of leaded glass. The cuts are done on a wet grinder. Crystal balls are just a blob of the same glass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w51XHcV-zYI
(http://youtu.be/w51XHcV-zYI)

Sunrider
05-10-2011, 11:34 AM
Clear and symmetrical here. These crystals were meditated upon and focused by the force. ;) I don't mind slight imperfections, but like someone said you could lose a limb. :lol:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2487/5707897050_b95cee3788_z.jpg

I think there may be a trend swaying toward symmetrical cuts, we shall see. ;)

Yoshi-Taka
05-10-2011, 12:52 PM
I say asymmetrical and clear. Clear adds a bit of niceness to the look of it but the varying shape of the crystal is what makes it unique, much like the lightsabers we build. If all crystals looked the same, what would be the point of using one (in our cases, crystal chambers)? It's the same as the lightsabers themselves; if everyone had the same hilts, why even bother making them? (Force FX sabers don't entirely count since we don't make them, we just convert them)

Jedi-Loreen
05-10-2011, 03:00 PM
If you do a 2 crystal chamber, then I think the focusing crystal should be symmetrical, but the power crystal could be more "raw".

Just one crystal, it's up to you and what you like the look of.

Rafalema
05-10-2011, 08:12 PM
I like symmetrical generic shape, but it should also have some imperfections.

(null).exe
05-10-2011, 09:05 PM
Single crystal: Has more of a raw, unbridled feel to it, the force-user wielding the weapon doesn't concern themselves with the "polish" of a focusing crystal, leading to a more powerful, but less manageable weapon. Likewise, the crystal used would be more raw and unpolished, asymmetrical and minorly flawed, maybe, but still an exquisite example of a natural point, rather than a worked and polished item from a jeweler.

Double crystal: Evokes the spirit of a more disciplined, seasoned force-user. The power crystal, while possibly the same asymmetrical point from the previous example, would have been polished by the builder to lower the possibility of malfunctions or power surges. The second, focusing crystal, would definitely be the "finesse" piece to balance the previous crystal's raw power. This crystal would definitely have a large amount of work put into it, deliberate facets and polish passes done to maximize the effectiveness of the weapon. Perhaps the focusing crystal, while still manufactured from say, and Adegan crystal, could have lost it's facets all together, becoming a polished lens of crystal set above the point of the power crystal.

Examples:
Single Crystal: Starkiller, Anakin ATOC/ROTS(Luke ANH/ESB), Vader ANH/ESB/ROTJ, Luke ROTJ, Darth Maul, Windu
These force-users are exemplars of the power over finesse fighting style, preferring to batter their opponents down with sheer ferocity rather than seek an opening to exploit. The raw energy of the single crystal setup would serve them well.

Double Crystal: Satele Shan SWTOR, Qui-Gon, Dooku, Obi-Wan, Yoda, Corran Horn, Mara Jade.
These force-users are tactical combatants, seeking openings in their opponent's attack to exploit, rather than simply trying to batter down their defenses. The added manageability and dexterity of a saber setup tempered with a focusing crystal allow them to fully employ their more tactical training to their advantage.

Addendum:
Unique crystal setups for specific purposes lie outside the realm of my overview. Corran's "Overcharge" setting, Exar Kun's extendable blade saber, these employ additional crystals to achieve some sort of unique advantage to that wielder, and therefore lie on top of the single/double build style.

Ronan
05-10-2011, 09:06 PM
http://www.diamondvues.com/84%20Carat%20Diamond.jpg

'nuff said.

Jedi-Loreen
05-10-2011, 11:32 PM
No, it's not.

Tell us more..........

Ronan
05-10-2011, 11:37 PM
No, it's not.

Tell us more..........

52 carat of pureness.

(null).exe
05-11-2011, 07:54 AM
52 carat of pureness.

Never mind that the picture title is: "84 carat diamond.jpg"

Ronan
05-11-2011, 08:08 AM
Never mind that the picture title is: "84 carat diamond.jpg"

I read 52 haha

I'm blaming the crazy hours of my new work :p

slothfurnace
05-11-2011, 08:12 AM
I love asymmetrical, and lots of inclusions to scatter light. The more character, the better, for me.

http://www.slothfurnace.com/images/ANHLukeFX/029.jpg

This is what I used in my ANH Luke, an aqua aura quartz double terminated.

http://www.slothfurnace.com/images/ANHLukeFX/066.jpg

For my ROTJ Luke, I used a lemurian seed crystal. Clear, double terminated. I couldn't find the right green that would show up green, but still allow light to diffuse. I tried several before I arrived at this one:

http://www.slothfurnace.com/images/ROTJL/026.jpg

http://www.slothfurnace.com/images/ROTJL/036.jpg

For my vader, I am introducing a second "focusing" crystal, a lab ruby at 10mm.

http://www.slothfurnace.com/images/VaderANH/053.jpg

And for the main crystal, smoky quartz:

http://www.slothfurnace.com/images/VaderANH/055.jpg

http://www.slothfurnace.com/images/VaderANH/061.jpg

Sunrider
05-11-2011, 08:13 AM
52 carat of pureness.

Still not enough. :confused:

Onli-Won Kanomi
05-11-2011, 11:10 AM
Some great responses to this thread. I am changing my views more towards faceted gems, symmetrical and clear at least for 2 and 3 crystal [KOTOR] setups. The colour/power crystal can be rough externally imperfect assymetric crystal 'points' since the Jedi uses the Force on its internal structure to make it suitable for regulating saber power cleanly [or left more unrefined for those who prefer unstable blades] but to me the focusing crystals make more sense as faceted or lens [cabochon?] clear crystals and then there are the 'special attribute' crystals in KOTOR that alter the blade's tactical performance in ways useful for certain lightsaber combat forms i.e. Jenraux crystals produce wider blades useful for blaster bolt deflection thus preferred by Soresu masters...it seems to me those attribute crystals might be unusual shaped/faceted but would more likely be symmetric and clear?

(null).exe
05-11-2011, 12:16 PM
Lightsaber Crystals and their uses and effects (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lightsaber_crystal)

That's a close to canon as you're going to get. As you can see from the Jenrauxhttp://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090728222843/starwars/images/f/fe/Jenruax-iw_sbrcrstl_008-KOTOR.png/Opilahttp://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090728222845/starwars/images/4/4c/Opila-iw_SbrCrstl_001-KOTOR.png articles, the crystals actually appear to be bluish, and are neither symmetrical nor clear.

For that matter, Adegan Pontite crystals, considered to be among the most sought-after lightsaber crystals don't appear to be particularly symmetrical or flawless either.
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20081205070910/starwars/images/thumb/9/95/Pontites.jpg/290px-Pontites.jpg

Ronan
05-11-2011, 04:57 PM
What crystal do they use for black lightsaber blades?...

ARKM
05-11-2011, 05:16 PM

* ARKM glares angrily at Ronan. :mad:

Darth Xusia
05-11-2011, 07:37 PM
I bet it looks like this:

What do you think?

Sunrider
05-11-2011, 08:03 PM
Yep. I like this one.

http://www.csulb.edu/~karenk/20thcwebsite/438final/ah438fin-ImageF.00001.jpeg

It lights up beautifully.

TimeRender
05-11-2011, 08:23 PM

You can use any crystal you want, but you have to paint a black stripe down the center of it.

Mal Rune
05-11-2011, 09:02 PM
You can use any crystal you want, but you have to paint a black stripe down the center of it.

lol!

I could go on and on about this subject, but I would say all of the above. There are both synthetic, and natural crystals in the Star Wars universe. I imagine the synth ones are symmetrical, precsion-cut jewels, and the natural ones are raw, and organic. I also think it could depend on the person who contructs the lightsaber. A padawan with little saber building experience may have a slightly shapen, but still asymmetrical, and imperfect crystal, and maybe a master with years of lightsber building experience might have a more refined cut and polished symmetrical crystal.

Skottsaber
05-12-2011, 10:06 AM
This one:

Oh... guess it doesn't show up on the background.....
EDIT: OK Seriously? Wtheck is going on? I see one post, reply, and then a million responses come up. :confused:

Ronan
05-12-2011, 11:38 AM

I was waiting for that one :D

Big_Furry_Oaf
05-13-2011, 02:20 PM
I think the color of the crystal determines the color of the blade. I also believe the different shapes and types of crystals give the saber slightly different properties (though none as drastic as, say, TFU or various role playing games).

I wonder... do you think the crystals glow on their own or do they need some external energy?

Skottsaber
05-13-2011, 04:54 PM
*ahem* The force, maybe? ;)

Big_Furry_Oaf
05-13-2011, 05:29 PM
Man, that's your answer for everything.

I've been searching around and just about every source I can find says that, yeah, the crystals have the natural ability to glow. Those sources are just the Essential Guide to the Force, the Jedi Path, the old Clone Wars series and a few random images I've found on google. I don't remember whether the crystal was glowing in TFU, though.
I've been thinking about a crystal chamber and wasn't sure whether to have the crystal light up when the blade does or to have it on all the time.

Sunrider
05-13-2011, 07:59 PM
I would say that since there are many different kinds of crystals. Some may glow, some may not. For the ones that glow I would use a very small led to give it the glow, and a more powerful led for when the blade is on. ;)

darthobie
06-17-2011, 07:13 AM
I love the crystal chamber. Do you have the link to the post for details on it? I don't want you to have to re-type it if it's already been posted.

Sunrider
06-17-2011, 07:46 AM
Which one? You can look through peoples posts by clicking on their name. Then looking at their posts. ;)