PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE READ-An FYI on shipping sabers before a national holiday...my experience.

Caine Drathul
07-08-2010, 04:53 PM
Hi all,

Let me share with you a recent experience I had regarding a saber shipment during the 4th of July holiday, and the USPS's possible tampering with my package (when I say possible, I mean 99.99% sure.

I recently shipped my Luke V2 back to LDM for repair (I had diagnosed it as an LED wire come loose of the C.F. board, and since I didn't build the saber, I didn't feel good about taking it apart, so I shipped it back to him for repair).

He received it and promptly fixed it, and shot a video to show the completed repair.

OK, done.

He then shipped it back to me last Fri (July 2)

Normally, it takes 2 days to receive anything from LDM...I just received the package today...so 6 days have passed, and the 4th of July holiday would have only slowed it down 1 day....odd.

Upon opening the package, the saber was wrapped in bubble tape and and in packing peanuts (the way LDM always packs his sabers for shipment).

I opened it up, turned it on, and....no light. Sound and accept LED's work fine...but the main LED isn't working (the same way I had shipped him the saber)

This made ZERO sense. He had clearly fixed it, and I KNOW LDM's solder jobs are top notch.

So I decided to just undo the saber myself...there was no point in sending it back AGAIN, and I needed to know how to disassemble the saber anyways for any future repairs (since I abuse it so much during saberplay)

After I successfully took it apart, I noticed that BOTH LED wires had come off the board. I looked closely to see that there was a tiny bit of wire on both solder pads...clearly showing it was NOT a solder failure.

It looked like the wires were pulled. The breaks were at the SAME spot on both wires.

After talking to Nova a bit, we came a very possible explanation: When the package went thru scanning at the USPS, suspicion was raised, and the package was opened (does a saber resemble a bomb or illegal fireworks? Possibly....)
The saber was opened, and the LED wires were tugged during inspection...hence the wire breaks.

There is no other possible explanation for the wires to break the way they did.

Well, there is 1 one other way....LDM fixed, the saber, then shot the vid, then purposely broke the wires and shipped it back to me.

I don't think so.

Doesn't the USPS have to put a label on the box saying it was tampered with if they do an inspection?

Anyways, I was able to fix the problem....and my saber works great now (score 1 for Caine in C.F. saber repair) Cool

Anyways, anyone else have anything to add to this?

Rhyen Skytracker
07-08-2010, 07:29 PM
A lightsaber hilt does very closely resemble a pipe bomb and I can understand the USPS wanting to check it out, but like you I thoght they had to mark it as inspected or at least notify you they inspected it. This can be a major issue when having to go through customs overseas. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

cardcollector
07-08-2010, 08:14 PM
I had someone previously in law enforcement that my saber looked like a pipe bomb- he reccomended that I add a note like "Star wars replica prop" of something on the outside of the box if I ever shipped it.

grayven
07-08-2010, 08:29 PM
I know that shady character LDM. I think he pulled you saber apart, had his dog chew on the wires, went out side and played stick ball with it, made a video using a saber double and trick photography, through it in an envelope put 29 cents worth of postage on it and gave some kid on on a bike a quarter to ride it to the post office 25 miles from his house.

I then think that the USPS who have his poster on the wall did their very best to right the situation for you. I'm sure they polished the hilt up, put it in bubble wrap, then gently placed it in a nice sturdy box with shipping peanuts (not the one LDM uses over and over, but that's another story). They then passed the hat around to pay the full amount needed for 1st class next day shipping. Of course it didn't ship until the 5th because it took them several days to clean the thing up. I have no doubt that had any of the nice guys that went so far out of there way to help could have fixed the saber they would have.

Shame on you Sir for blatantly blaming these hard working saber loving US employees. It is so clear to me that the only one to blame is LDM. I fourth suggest that we gather with pitch forks and torches and take care of this LDM character and his black mat once and for all.

Who's with me?:evil:

cardcollector
07-08-2010, 08:58 PM
I know that shady character LDM. I think he pulled you saber apart, had his dog chew on the wires, went out side and played stick ball with it, made a video using a saber double and trick photography, through it in an envelope put 29 cents worth of postage on it and gave some kid on on a bike a quarter to ride it to the post office 25 miles from his house.

I then think that the USPS who have his poster on the wall did their very best to right the situation for you. I'm sure they polished the hilt up, put it in bubble wrap, then gently placed it in a nice sturdy box with shipping peanuts (not the one LDM uses over and over, but that's another story). They then passed the hat around to pay the full amount needed for 1st class next day shipping. Of course it didn't ship until the 5th because it took them several days to clean the thing up. I have no doubt that had any of the nice guys that went so far out of there way to help could have fixed the saber they would have.

Shame on you Sir for blatantly blaming these hard working saber loving US employees. It is so clear to me that the only one to blame is LDM. I fourth suggest that we gather with pitch forks and torches and take care of this LDM character and his black mat once and for all.

AHAHAHAHAHA!!! heheheheheeee. oooooooh maaan....
*sniff sniff* wipes tears from eyes...

That sir, was good. :D:cool:

Caine Drathul
07-08-2010, 10:34 PM
Ahhhh, classic Gravy, lol.

I think you, LDM, myself and Nova need to solve this ourselves in August at the Bodybuilding Black Mat Freak's place....I smell a video coming....

Or is that something else I smell in Nova's car? HAHAHA

<inside joke, folks>

Crystal Chambers
07-09-2010, 04:42 AM
I'll say this...none of this effects me personally so I could care less, but I'd be all to happy to see how this pans out on youtube..lol

Caine you need to be more elaborate when designing your pipebombs if you want them to clear shipment and be delivered effectively when attempting to lay siege on the black mat. Maybe if you made them look like real lightsabers...like the ones you can buy for $20 at Toy "R" US.

But seriously I wondered if you could take a saber to the post office or customs or what not to get it approved first maybe the risk of all this could be avoided. This is one reason I'd be nervous about sending a complete saber in the mail especially into the US.

Skottsaber
07-09-2010, 06:36 AM
Well... my Luke ROTJ(ish :lol:) Parks Arc-Wave got here today.

Cordaroy DID ship it in a Vader ANH MR Box... perhaps that might solve some problems? :confused:

Lord Dottore Matto
07-15-2010, 09:23 PM

I'm With you!!!!!...wait...I'm LDM :lol: and I love the USPS.:(