PDA

View Full Version : PVC lightstaff/double bladed lightsaber help

Hatz13
07-06-2010, 09:28 PM
I am newer to posting in the forum but I have read quite a bit and cannot find an answer to what I have been looking for. I want to build a simple lightstaff out of pvc. I am 16 and electronics is not going to happen. I plan on using polycarbonate tubing for the blade and want to model it after Jay-gon's lightstaff featured in this thread (http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=3266&page=3) I have read the entire thread and the one thing that continues to allude me is how he connects the two seperate hilts. I want the hilts to be able to separate but solely based on these pics I cannot figure out how he does it. Any and all help will be appreciated and if this question has already been asked and answered I am sorry but I could not find it.

Jedi-Loreen
07-06-2010, 10:17 PM
I guess you missed something. Right between the sets of photos of the connected and unconnected pieces of the saber staff is this, "It also seperates into two by unscrewing the coupler".

Look up threaded PVC couplers. You need one with a male and and a female end that screw together.

cardcollector
07-07-2010, 05:51 AM
Page 16, Post #156.

:cool:

Darth Midian
07-07-2010, 10:01 AM
Hatz, you need to use a threaded male & female connecter. Good luck with your build.

Shadar Al'Niende
07-07-2010, 11:20 AM
Hatz, you need to use a threaded male & female connecter. Good luck with your build.

Just like J-Lo said, two posts above yours ;)

...Look up threaded PVC couplers. You need one with a male and and a female end that screw together.

Jedi-Loreen
07-07-2010, 11:47 AM
He included a picture in his post, though.

Even though it was dark. :rolleyes:

Hatz13
07-07-2010, 03:07 PM
Thank you all for your quick replies the picture was hard to see details in. Darthhatz midian thx for the pictures of the coupler I now know what to get.

Darth Midian
07-07-2010, 04:10 PM
Hey, your welcome. I don't know why the pic turned out dark. The desk lights were on & I used a flash, anyway I thought it was good enough to show him what he needs. Agian , good luck with your build. ( Thanks for the back up J-lo ;) )

Hatz13
07-07-2010, 06:45 PM
No your pic was fine midian I meant jay-gon's lightstaff pics

Darth Midian
07-31-2010, 11:04 AM
Hatz, How's your saber coming?

Luke-SkyMarcher
07-31-2010, 06:13 PM
I am 16 and electronics is not going to happen.

Any reason why not?

I did my first electronics in a saber when I was 14 - and there are people who built their first saber younger than that. It's really not hard to do.

Hatz13
08-02-2010, 06:42 PM
Wow I have read a lot since then and I have come to the realization that it is possible. Right now I am looking for a job though to be able to buy a dremel, a hacksaw, and a soldering gun since I currently own no tools whatsoever.

Hatz13
08-02-2010, 06:45 PM
I am currently in the process of acquiring tools. I have bought the pvc pieces and am now looking for a part time job to fund this new hobby.

Jedi-Loreen
08-02-2010, 06:57 PM
This is a soldering gun, do not get one of these:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d7/SolderGun.jpg/800px-SolderGun.jpg

You want a soldering iron like this:

http://www.siliconsolar.com/shop/solarimages/Soldering-Iron_T.jpg

Or a solder station is even better, if you're going to do more than one saber.

http://blog.makezine.com/upload/2009/03/toolbox_soldering_set-up/wlc100lg.jpg

Skottsaber
08-03-2010, 12:56 PM
Care to explain how a soldering gun works, Mrs Professional Solderer?

Jedi-Loreen
08-03-2010, 02:23 PM
Why? When it's not the right type to use in our applications here. Soldering guns are for large gauge wires and large solder lugs, not for soldering on 26 gauge wire and small circuit boards.

And don't call me "Mrs.", I'm not married to anyone, or anything.

If anyone really wants to know how a soldering gun works, then can find that info right here. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soldering_gun)

Hatz13
08-04-2010, 11:21 AM
Thank you for clearing that up Loreen. I am going to purchase a soldering iron after reading your post and doing some additional research. Your input was much appreciated.

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
08-04-2010, 11:50 AM
Yeah, the big soldering guns are really overkill for what we do. They're big and awkward, and they have a big blunt tip. They're OK for automotive use, but we need something with more precision.

I have a soldering iron, but I really need to get a station. That's my next purchase, after a bench-top belt sander.

Hatz13
08-04-2010, 08:27 PM
I do not plan on making too many sabers so I think I will be fine without the station

Darth Midian
08-08-2010, 06:25 AM
I do not plan on making too many sabers so I think I will be fine without the station
That's what you say now. Building lightsabers is like getting tattooed. It's very addicting, once you start you can't stop. I am looking forward to seeing your saber. I'm a huge fan of dual bladed sabers.

Hatz13
08-08-2010, 03:36 PM
That's what you say now. Building lightsabers is like getting tattooed. It's very addicting, once you start you can't stop. I am looking forward to seeing your saber. I'm a huge fan of dual bladed sabers.

Thanks for the warning Midian. If I could afford it I definitely would make as many sabers as I could.