PDA

View Full Version : Sinktube Shroud cutting question

Rathan
07-06-2010, 09:39 AM
I have a newbie question about cutting "slots" in sinktube shrouds.

I am looking to make about .25" wide 3" long slots in my shroud but I am not sure about the easiest/best/simplest way to cut the ends. Master Jedye's tutorial is great and has really helped me but the slots he cuts are much wider.

In my attached pic I would cut the top, squared slot along both horizontal red lines with my dremel but how would I cut the green vertical lines?

If I wanted rounded ends like the bottom slot, I could use the appropriate sized drill bit to drill out both ends then cut the horizontal lines with the dremel.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Arkhan
07-06-2010, 10:10 AM
in many cases where the dremel cutting wheel is going to be too big for the line you're cutting, you can make a series of smaller cuts perpendicular to the intended line, almost but not quite touching it. Then, holding the blade perpendicular to the intended line, but parallel to the small cuts you made, move the dremel parallel to your line, removing the small pieces of metal from the side.

use the SIDE of the cutting wheel, not the edge, to finish it off. sorry for no pic, it might sound a bit confusing, but try it on something else first.

hand filing afterwards will clean up any irregularity.

Jedi-Loreen
07-06-2010, 02:12 PM
I save my worn down cut off wheels for making shorter cuts, since they have a smaller diameter.

FenderBender
07-06-2010, 02:51 PM
Easy. I just make the main cuts, then do an X shaped cut at the corners of the slot to get rid of the bulk of the material. Then I make a lot of smaller horizontal cuts up to the squared line, then clean it up with a small file. Done. Its how I did these and many others:

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q169/AJFenderBender/033-11.jpg

Rathan
07-06-2010, 03:12 PM
in many cases where the dremel cutting wheel is going to be too big for the line you're cutting, you can make a series of smaller cuts perpendicular to the intended line, almost but not quite touching it. Then, holding the blade perpendicular to the intended line, but parallel to the small cuts you made, move the dremel parallel to your line, removing the small pieces of metal from the side.
use the SIDE of the cutting wheel, not the edge, to finish it off. sorry for no pic, it might sound a bit confusing, but try it on something else first.
hand filing afterwards will clean up any irregularity.

Ok, I will see if I can combine your way and Bender's way to dig out the "junk".

I save my worn down cut off wheels for making shorter cuts, since they have a smaller diameter.

I am still using my first cut off wheel and I have only worn it down about 20-25%. I will be keeping it to use for smaller cuts when I lose more of it.

Easy. I just make the main cuts, then do an X shaped cut at the corners of the slot to get rid of the bulk of the material. Then I make a lot of smaller horizontal cuts up to the squared line, then clean it up with a small file. Done. Its how I did these and many others:

I started one side of the X cut but decided to see if I could get some help before having to completely redo my sanded-to-brass sinktube.

Thanks for ideas! I will try and use these tonight and hopefully put some pics in my build thread. :)